Cabot deck correct - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By Brushman4
  • 1 Post By Jmayspaint
  • 1 Post By getrex

Old 05-07-2017, 10:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
View APP_804's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cabot deck correct

Hey there. Was wondering if anyone on here has used Cabots Deck Correct before? Customer of mine has a 900 sq ft pressure treated deck and wanted to do a solid coating on it to keep from having issues with splinters and whatnot. Looking for info on application. Seems to be like a typical exterior paint but wondering if anyone's had issues with it. Don't like using products I'm not familiar with. Thanks
APP_804 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 02:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,908
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

If this is anything like Behr's Deck Over, all I can tell you is run Forrest, run!
PACman and lilpaintchic like this.
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:32 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah, almost everyone I talked to about that style of product had bad luck, myself included. Those extra thick deck coatings are just too prone to peel, stick with a regular solid stain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PACman likes this.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2017, 08:34 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

don't do it. just don't. If you insist on it, i have my craps table warmed up for you, because you are rolling the dice with this product.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

If their goal is to get a few more years out of a beat up deck before they absolutely HAVE to replace it, go for it. Use whatever you want. It's a bandaid on a bleeding artery solution and will be the last coating that deck. If their goals are different that that RUN or clean, sand the surfaces in question and use a solid body stain.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:16 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 26
View APP_804's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. HO was the one who chose the product so I was just doing some research before applying. His deck is 14 years old and needs to be replaced he was just looking to get more life out of it. What's the durability on the solid body stains?
APP_804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:58 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,710 Times in 3,177 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP_804 View Post
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. HO was the one who chose the product so I was just doing some research before applying. His deck is 14 years old and needs to be replaced he was just looking to get more life out of it. What's the durability on the solid body stains?

As a group, these types of "deck repair" coatings tend to get a whole 8-9 months before the wood underneath starts to rot away. So if I sold lumber i'd be all for it. Think about it.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 12:30 PM   #8
Anonymous Tard

Rewards Points: 14
View getrex's Photo Album My Photos

A good solid stain may last 3-5 years depending on weather, sun, and the condition of the wood. You could flip some of the worst boards and maybe get a little longer life out of it. Remember that if you sand it too much then that can affect how well the new stain penetrates into the wood and it can shorten your time.
APP_804 likes this.

Last edited by getrex; 05-09-2017 at 12:33 PM..
getrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:11 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 170
View CK_68847's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by APP_804 View Post
Hey there. Was wondering if anyone on here has used Cabots Deck Correct before? Customer of mine has a 900 sq ft pressure treated deck and wanted to do a solid coating on it to keep from having issues with splinters and whatnot. Looking for info on application. Seems to be like a typical exterior paint but wondering if anyone's had issues with it. Don't like using products I'm not familiar with. Thanks
The only deck resurfacer which works is from Gemini. It's called deck revive. You also have to put on a clear primer called permabond first. I bought a house and the lady used the Ppg resurfacer and it failed within months. I power washed and sanded it down in May 2016, and it's still the same as the day I put it on. It's expensive, but it's the real deal.
CK_68847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,908
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

So it's been holding up well for 1 year. Don't you think it's a bit early to be saying this is the real deal? I went to the Gemini site and saw the video's and read the application instructions. To buy 1 Deck Revive kit, 1gal. of Permabond sealer, and 1gal. of reasonably priced exterior acrylic gloss comes to about $370 and will do a 200 sq ft deck, according to them.
Now that's for a relatively small deck without adding in labor. It would take a great leap of fate for most of us to consider using this product. https://www.gulfsynthetics.com/deck-revive-kit.html
Brushman4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:41 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 170
View CK_68847's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post
So it's been holding up well for 1 year. Don't you think it's a bit early to be saying this is the real deal? I went to the Gemini site and saw the video's and read the application instructions. To buy 1 Deck Revive kit, 1gal. of Permabond sealer, and 1gal. of reasonably priced exterior acrylic gloss comes to about $370 and will do a 200 sq ft deck, according to them.
Now that's for a relatively small deck without adding in labor. It would take a great leap of fate for most of us to consider using this product. https://www.gulfsynthetics.com/deck-revive-kit.html
It's definitely expensive. This lady screwed me by putting a junk product on. It was the easiest cheapest way in my case. Our Gemini rep told me he has been back to a dock in Illinois year after year and it's still on. The key is the permabond. Like he said if you don't use it, it's going to fail. I still have some left over. I'm going to try some on a sample this summer and put regular paint on it to see if it withstands the up and down temps we get over a year. On the point of it only being a year, I am pretty confident it's going to last the long haul. All of the other resurfacers I have seen have failure rate within 3-6 months. They don't allow the wood to breathe and the stuff ends up coming up and in sheets. This product allows the wood to breathe. The others are pretty much an elastomeric. In the last year in my area, we have had temps from 0- 100, multiple rains over one I inch and multiple snow days. The climate drastically changes depending on the season. I can scratch at this stuff all day long and there is no give. It stuck like glue and as hard as a rock.

Last edited by CK_68847; 07-03-2017 at 10:08 PM..
CK_68847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 10:10 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 144
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

I don't know about the surfacing product, but I believe Gemini makes the twp line of stain/sealers and it is the bee's knees.

They are a legit company.
ParamountPaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None