Caulking board and batten style siding? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 06-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #1
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos
Default Caulking board and batten style siding?

The house we are currently working on has board and batten style siding. All the vertical 1x3's were caulked before or at least sealed with paint. They had a lot of peeling and I'm inclined to think the house was too well sealed. Would you caulk board and batten or no? I typically caulk where rain water can enter so that would be yes. But I don't caulk vertical channel siding for example. Thoughts?
The house is about 15 years old and may have been painted with elastomeric at one point. The side facing the water (puget sound) had the most peeling.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2015, 02:54 AM   #2
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
The house we are currently working on has board and batten style siding. All the vertical 1x3's were caulked before or at least sealed with paint. They had a lot of peeling and I'm inclined to think the house was too well sealed. Would you caulk board and batten or no? I typically caulk where rain water can enter so that would be yes. But I don't caulk vertical channel siding for example. Thoughts?
The house is about 15 years old and may have been painted with elastomeric at one point. The side facing the water (puget sound) had the most peeling.
Damon, I think you're on the mark. We don't like to caulk seams in vertical siding either. You know water is going to get in. All caulking does is make it harder for the water to get out.

Vertical siding can be fine as part of a "ventilated rain screen" system, but I don't think many people were doing that 15 years ago.
Damon T (06-24-2015)
Old 06-24-2015, 07:40 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

We haven't done many of these styles. We didn't use caulking except where you said. To me it would seal the house up to tight. If there are bad gaps we will fill with caulking.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Epoxy Pro For This Useful Post:
Damon T (06-24-2015), epretot (06-24-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2015, 11:51 PM   #4
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,486
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Where I live most batten board is 4by8 sheets of plywood with the battens spaced so only one seam is covered so I caulk them all. The batten wood is so poor and twisted I have to caulk them to make them look decent.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kmp For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (06-25-2015), slinger58 (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 82
Thanked 5,831 Times in 3,144 Posts
View slinger58's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp View Post
Where I live most batten board is 4by8 sheets of plywood with the battens spaced so only one seam is covered so I caulk them all. The batten wood is so poor and twisted I have to caulk them to make them look decent.
Here there is some 4 x 8 Masonite sheets with wood battens (I call it imitation B&B). I caulk those. Did one last year that was 5/4 cypress boards with 5/4 cypress battens, coated with solid color stain. Didn't caulk those.
slinger58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:18 AM   #6
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 50
Thanked 5,156 Times in 2,811 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

We have seen it done both ways with wood siding. To be honest, they hold up equally well. For cement board and batten siding, installation requires the battens to be caulked.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
Gough (06-26-2015)
Old 06-26-2015, 12:31 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 18
Thanked 2,427 Times in 1,272 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

I have painted some houses with T111 siding and battens. I caulked next to the battens. I haven't had any issues yet, knock on wood.
SemiproJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None