Caulking exterior corner boards - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 08-16-2014, 12:37 AM   #1
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos
Default Caulking exterior corner boards

So we are on a project doing 20 bump-outs on townhomes. I've noticed that corner boards are rarely caulked, and it's true on these as well. Me inclination is to caulk them, but curious why they're rarely caulked (besides laziness, as all the other joints are typically caulked). Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using PaintTalk.com
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 01:03 AM   #2
painter extraordinaire

Rewards Points: 1,066
Thanked 1,078 Times in 611 Posts
View Brian C's Photo Album My Photos

I always caulk any vertical join in the timber.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 07:47 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

I've noticed that too. Here in the mountains there are a lot of cedar sided homes. Some of them are caulked at the corner boards, and some aren't. I really don't think the primary reason is laziness or pour workmanship. Some of these houses are very nicely done. Back primed siding, good paint job, etc., but the corners will be left open.

I believe there is a school of thought that if the house is properly built, caulking the corner boards has little value as an insulator. Its similar to caulking butt joints, or even caulking the laps on the siding. If siding is designed not to be air tight anyway, and needs to move with seasonal temperature changes, then caulking the corner boards becomes a purely ascetic decision.

The value of caulking places like where corners meet siding is debatable I'm sure, but some people and builders, think it serves little purpose on a well built house and just looks tacky.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2014, 09:14 AM   #4
painter extraordinaire

Rewards Points: 1,066
Thanked 1,078 Times in 611 Posts
View Brian C's Photo Album My Photos

I think that if the end grain of the boards are not primed before fixing to the house, then capillary action from moisture will rot the ends of the timber. Prime and caulk can alleviate this problem.
Brian C is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brian C For This Useful Post:
slinger58 (08-16-2014)
Old 08-16-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Troy

Rewards Points: 68
Thanked 2,569 Times in 1,133 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon T View Post
So we are on a project doing 20 bump-outs on townhomes. I've noticed that corner boards are rarely caulked, and it's true on these as well. Me inclination is to caulk them, but curious why they're rarely caulked (besides laziness, as all the other joints are typically caulked). Any thoughts?

The funny thing is, if you ask 5 builders that question you'll get 5 different answers. Since many of the tasks of caulking are often relegated to the painter, (due to either an oversight or omission of the sider), it's sometimes hard to know what SHOULD be caulked.

From my understanding, different siding/corner board variations call for different specs. Sooo, if you're really looking for an answer perhaps a pic might shed some clarity.

Stelzer Painting Inc.
Old 08-16-2014, 06:14 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 5,929 Times in 3,434 Posts
View vermontpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Shingle style or clap?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vermontpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 06:20 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250
View Epoxy Pro's Photo Album My Photos

Shingle style no we don't caulk, claps yes. Like Jmays said every one will give a different answer and reason as to why or why not caulk.
Epoxy Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 01:16 AM   #8
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

This one has the vertical cedar 1x4's, next to some type of hardi panel. The panel is caulked to the corner boards, but none of the joint where the corner boards meet each other are caulked. And on lap siding houses I've seen the same thing. The siding is caulked to the corner, but the corners aren't caulked to themselves. That's on both hardi and cedar lap siding.

Fwiw I typically end up caulked butt joints, even if they weren't caulked before.

Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 02:27 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

I hate it when boards meet in corners, or on posts and they aren't caulked. What also drives me up the wall is when you have 2 our more facia boards, and noon of then are caulked

Sent from my SGH-T989D using PaintTalk.com mobile app
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 37
View Hissing Cobra's Photo Album My Photos

I caulk them on every job that I do and wipe excess off with a wet rag so it doesn't look like a sloppy mess (I like the keep the caulking in the cracks only and not on the face of the board). I then let the caulking dry for a few hours before applying the top coats of paint. They look awesome when I'm done but then I go back weeks later and find that both boards moved by expanding and contracting, forcing some of the caulk out of the opening.
Hissing Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissing Cobra View Post
I caulk them on every job that I do and wipe excess off with a wet rag so it doesn't look like a sloppy mess (I like the keep the caulking in the cracks only and not on the face of the board). I then let the caulking dry for a few hours before applying the top coats of paint. They look awesome when I'm done but then I go back weeks later and find that both boards moved by expanding and contracting, forcing some of the caulk out of the opening.
Type of caulk using?
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:30 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 37
View Hissing Cobra's Photo Album My Photos

Dap Alex Plus. It only seems to do that on corner boards and not on overhangs or rake boards.
Hissing Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hissing Cobra For This Useful Post:
mudbone (08-19-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 09:53 PM   #13
Paint to fish

Thanked 5,156 Times in 2,811 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Code here calls for windows to be caulked on top and sides only leaving bottom open to drain. We have had builders insist on caulking all sides, no sides, three sides, etc. We have had inspectors require the bottom edge and require caulked bottom edge to be cut out. We have had siding installers threaten to void the siding warranty if we caulked window trim to the window.

Interestingly, the PDCA p11-5 caulk requirements excludes caulking on exteriors as a painter's responsibility unless otherwise specified.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:09 PM   #14
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
Code here calls for windows to be caulked on top and sides only leaving bottom open to drain. We have had builders insist on caulking all sides, no sides, three sides, etc. We have had inspectors require the bottom edge and require caulked bottom edge to be cut out. We have had siding installers threaten to void the siding warranty if we caulked window trim to the window.

Interestingly, the PDCA p11-5 caulk requirements excludes caulking on exteriors as a painter's responsibility unless otherwise specified.
What's the builders' approach with HardiPlank with the mfg. specs calling for a 1/4" gap above window?

The biggest issue we see is builders using caulk to weatherproof at corners, windows , etc., instead of detailing the flashing and WRB properly. If that's done properly, the caulk is mainly aesthetic.
PRC (06-16-2016), ridesarize (08-21-2014)
Old 08-19-2014, 10:14 PM   #15
Paint to fish

I think that is their view, the tape, flashing, etc weather proof it.

How about battens as well? I believe not caulking those voids warranty as well. It is rare we see battens caulked on new homes.

usually with hardie siding we have Miratec trim around windows with flashing on top.

Last edited by DeanV; 08-19-2014 at 10:16 PM..
Old 08-20-2014, 01:00 AM   #16
Retired Moderator

Quote:
I think that is their view, the tape, flashing, etc weather proof it.

How about battens as well? I believe not caulking those voids warranty as well. It is rare we see battens caulked on new homes.

usually with hardie siding we have Miratec trim around windows with flashing on top.
Maybe in your neck of the woods the contractors do a better job with that detailing than the outfits around here, they'd be hard pressed to do a worse job. Windows, for example. After looking at installations for several decades, I finally saw some done correctly...last year. They generally all use housewrap and flashing, they just don't use them correctly.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:44 AM   #17
Paint to fish

I am probably not the best judge of if they have done it correctly. All I know for certain is that there is a lot ln siding the rests directly on top of flashing with no gap at all.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 AM   #18
Retired Moderator

Quote:
I am probably not the best judge of if they have done it correctly. All I know for certain is that there is a lot ln siding the rests directly on top of flashing with no gap at all.
While the air gap as part of a "ventilated rain screen assembly" is probably the best, just making sure that liquid water will drain to the outside makes a big difference. We see flashing tape, drip edge, and housewrap installed in such a manner that it diverts water into the wall, rather than away.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:13 AM   #19

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
While the air gap as part of a "ventilated rain screen assembly" is probably the best, just making sure that liquid water will drain to the outside makes a big difference. We see flashing tape, drip edge, and housewrap installed in such a manner that it diverts water into the wall, rather than away.
All exactly correct, we have one builder we with closely and analyze all flashing and gaps that need to be there above flashing, as well as back primed siding, primed cuts, rips. Flashing must divert moisture instead of it puddling.
Gough (08-21-2014)
Old 08-21-2014, 07:06 PM   #20
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 651
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
Soooo true! I've fixed more rotten trim this summer because of improper flashing and gapping than you can shake a paint brush at! I'm mostly talking about people putting thier bottom trim directly onto the shingles with no gap for breathing. All the junk gets trapped inbetween the roof and trim and rots it out..
what's up with that?! Keeps me busy anyway and let's me work on my carpentry..
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None