Caulking exterior corner boards - Page 2 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
ridesarize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Seattle
Posts: 1,743
Rewards Points: 1,424
Thanks: 1,301
Thanked 796 Times in 516 Posts
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos
Default

So I was reading this thread last night not knowing it would help me troubleshoot wood deterioration (and hardiplank) today.

I told a h.o. yesterday water might be coming in from above corner boards but would be hard to track down. Gave the accurate conclusion today.

Awesomeness
Attached Thumbnails
Caulking exterior corner boards-forumrunner_20140821_200802.jpg  

Caulking exterior corner boards-forumrunner_20140821_200902.jpg  

__________________
That lacquer undercoater doesn't affect me affect me...
ridesarize is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ridesarize For This Useful Post:
Gough (08-22-2014)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-22-2014, 12:15 AM   #22
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Intermountain West
Posts: 10,539
Rewards Points: 840
Thanks: 11,620
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
So I was reading this thread last night not knowing it would help me troubleshoot wood deterioration (and hardiplank) today.

I told a h.o. yesterday water might be coming in from above corner boards but would be hard to track down. Gave the accurate conclusion today.

Awesomeness
Nice.... They obviously ignored Hardie's installation instructions.

Is that a wood batten on top of the horizontal trim in the first photo?

The metal window frame in the second photo is nicely detailed to catch the water. I guess it must not rain much where you are ( checks profile ). Oops.

How old is this house? Around here, we're seeing stuff like that in 10-15 year-old houses.
__________________
“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” – Henry David Thoreau
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:45 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
ridesarize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Seattle
Posts: 1,743
Rewards Points: 1,424
Thanks: 1,301
Thanked 796 Times in 516 Posts
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
Nice.... They obviously ignored Hardie's installation instructions.

Is that a wood batten on top of the horizontal trim in the first photo?

The metal window frame in the second photo is nicely detailed to catch the water. I guess it must not rain much where you are ( checks profile ). Oops.

How old is this house? Around here, we're seeing stuff like that in 10-15 year-old houses.
The first pic is a corner board about 5 feet above the second shot (vinyl window) . I don't believe the second one is done correctly either, it is all soft as well. The header trim in second pic is partially caulked, where there should be a 1/4" gap, and I think the cornerboard should run down and belly bands and header trim should butt up to it.
The corner trim just sucked up water from flashing area.
The previous owner had some areas replaced with horizontal trim butting to corner board, and they primed the new pieces but no paint. Which led to some corner trim dry rotting anyway.

This home is 12 years old approximately.. .
__________________
That lacquer undercoater doesn't affect me affect me...
ridesarize is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ridesarize For This Useful Post:
Gough (08-22-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-22-2014, 08:39 AM   #24
Retired Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Intermountain West
Posts: 10,539
Rewards Points: 840
Thanks: 11,620
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
The first pic is a corner board about 5 feet above the second shot (vinyl window) . I don't believe the second one is done correctly either, it is all soft as well. The header trim in second pic is partially caulked, where there should be a 1/4" gap, and I think the cornerboard should run down and belly bands and header trim should butt up to it.
The corner trim just sucked up water from flashing area.
The previous owner had some areas replaced with horizontal trim butting to corner board, and they primed the new pieces but no paint. Which led to some corner trim dry rotting anyway.

This home is 12 years old approximately.. .
'Zactly.

The drainage gaps with Hardi seems to be one of the more overlooked details. Ignore it at your peril.

In the past few years, we've repaired several houses of that vintage. Average cost: ~$40K. That's a shock for clients living in what they think is a nearly new house. Guys were building McMansions who shouldn't have been building dog houses.
__________________
“The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it.” – Henry David Thoreau
Gough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:00 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
ridesarize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Near Seattle
Posts: 1,743
Rewards Points: 1,424
Thanks: 1,301
Thanked 796 Times in 516 Posts
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I like that, mcmansions.
__________________
That lacquer undercoater doesn't affect me affect me...
ridesarize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:12 AM   #26
Kev D.
 
finishesbykevyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Newfoundland Can.
Posts: 1,428
Rewards Points: 673
Thanks: 302
Thanked 204 Times in 175 Posts
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Dap caulking is garbage in my books hissing cobra. Ive been using the "Mono" brand for exterior. About twice as expensive but just soo nice. I also use it for my crown mouldings cause they always want to split on ya..Has anyone else used that? Thoughts?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using PaintTalk.com mobile app
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cornhole boards cdaniels Off Topic (Non Trade) 12 02-26-2014 08:06 AM
caulking exterior pointless? austintx512 Surface Preparation and Application 34 04-25-2012 06:45 AM
New to the boards Sully New Member Introductions 7 05-27-2011 06:51 PM
Exterior Caulking Michigan11 Surface Preparation and Application 7 12-20-2010 02:17 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com