Ceiling/wall texture peeling off - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By fauxlynn
  • 1 Post By futtyos
  • 1 Post By fauxlynn
  • 1 Post By futtyos
Closed Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View ryguy's Photo Album My Photos
Default Ceiling/wall texture peeling off

Please take it easy on me as I have next to no knowledge on this subject. I have a very old house that we are rehabbing. Lots of cracks in the walls, etc. A couple of years ago, I put texture on the walls to hide some of these imperfections. The house was then left vacant for 2 years, and during that time, the entire room's walls/ceiling texture started to "flake" off. I'm sure there's an actual term for it, but this is my best description. Some of the texture fell off the walls and ceilings entirely and some of it remained on, but hanging off the wall. Now, I am going to fix the problem because I want to sell the house. I thought it was maybe because of how I textured over wallpaper but a contractor said the primary reason it happened was because of the type of joint compound I used. Is that true? And what is my best option here going forward? To scrape off the dangling compound, prime and then shoot texture on the walls and ceiling? Can I skip the prime stage(I have A LOT of work to do independent of this and limited funds to do it with)? What is the best kind of compound for this task, to load into my sprayer? I'm not concerned with looks so much as just making sure this same issue doesn't happen again.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 30
Thanked 2,614 Times in 1,465 Posts
View fauxlynn's Photo Album My Photos

HI. My guess is nobody wants to offer up a likely cause because there are too many variables mentioned. Im surprised you haven't been referred to the DIY site.

I'm just a faux painter, but I can tell you it probably wasn't the jc.

So here's a question for you. I'm not trying to be mean, but why do you want to punish the future buyers with the headache of all that texture? Are you in an area of the country where this wouldn't affect the resale value of the house? Around here, it would lower the price.

Just fix the cracks and throw some cheap paint on it. Just my opinion.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,514
View futtyos's Photo Album My Photos
Default Why should we take it easy on you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy View Post
Please take it easy on me as I have next to no knowledge on this subject. I have a very old house that we are rehabbing. Lots of cracks in the walls, etc. A couple of years ago, I put texture on the walls to hide some of these imperfections. The house was then left vacant for 2 years, and during that time, the entire room's walls/ceiling texture started to "flake" off. I'm sure there's an actual term for it, but this is my best description. Some of the texture fell off the walls and ceilings entirely and some of it remained on, but hanging off the wall. Now, I am going to fix the problem because I want to sell the house. I thought it was maybe because of how I textured over wallpaper but a contractor said the primary reason it happened was because of the type of joint compound I used. Is that true? And what is my best option here going forward? To scrape off the dangling compound, prime and then shoot texture on the walls and ceiling? Can I skip the prime stage(I have A LOT of work to do independent of this and limited funds to do it with)? What is the best kind of compound for this task, to load into my sprayer? I'm not concerned with looks so much as just making sure this same issue doesn't happen again.
First off, as fauxlynn said, you are probably going to be ushered off of this site and referred to the DIY sister site, possibly even before I finish this reply.

Paint Talk is a forum for professional painting contractors and painters. By reading your post, it appears that you are neither a painting contractor nor a professional painter. It also appears that you have gone and done things to your house that some here (myself included) would consider to be the equal of vandalism. If you have spent any time here looking through various posts, you will have found that some come here and ask very vague, general questions with barely any accurate details, much like you have just done. Before any of the moderators come and refer you to the DIY site, can you give any reasons why any here should give advice to you based on the scant information you have given?

futtyos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2018, 09:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4
View ryguy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by futtyos View Post
First off, as fauxlynn said, you are probably going to be ushered off of this site and referred to the DIY sister site, possibly even before I finish this reply.

Paint Talk is a forum for professional painting contractors and painters. By reading your post, it appears that you are neither a painting contractor nor a professional painter. It also appears that you have gone and done things to your house that some here (myself included) would consider to be the equal of vandalism. If you have spent any time here looking through various posts, you will have found that some come here and ask very vague, general questions with barely any accurate details, much like you have just done. Before any of the moderators come and refer you to the DIY site, can you give any reasons why any here should give advice to you based on the scant information you have given?

futtyos!
Did not realize this site was only for professionals. I just googled painting forums and signed up. But how on Earth could it be the equivalent to vandalism when I own the property? And you speak for others now? Not to be too forward(but I will, based on the overall tone of your post), but do you even know the definition of vandalism? I find it absolutely hilarious that you think the information you hold is tantamount to that of a lawyer or something similar. You act like I'm asking you for free legal advice. Sorry bud, you didn't pass the bar exam, you might want to take a step down off that high horse.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 PM   #5

I don't know, he might have passed the bar, he's pretty smart.

Anyway, there isn't enough information to go on. It could've been a climate issue when you applied the product. It could be the wallpaper. It could be the joint compound reactivated the wallpaper paste through the old paper. It could be whatever is on the walls now is messing things up.

It may actually be easier to patch the cracks and paint, and no, you might not want to skip a primer.....since nobody can speak to the actual condition of the substrate. I would recommend Gardz.

Last edited by fauxlynn; 05-22-2018 at 10:21 PM..
Old 05-23-2018, 12:47 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,056
Thanked 1,006 Times in 639 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

If it was an old house, most likely you had a slick oil base enamel on the walls. You shot water based texture, then coated with water based paint. Unfortunately by not priming the walls with a correct primer for the situation first, the stuff just slides off. That's my guess. Not sure what to do in your situation. Limited funds reeks of cheaping out and not doing it right. Two wrongs do not make it right!!
Old 05-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #7

Default I apologize

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryguy View Post
Did not realize this site was only for professionals. I just googled painting forums and signed up. But how on Earth could it be the equivalent to vandalism when I own the property? And you speak for others now? Not to be too forward(but I will, based on the overall tone of your post), but do you even know the definition of vandalism? I find it absolutely hilarious that you think the information you hold is tantamount to that of a lawyer or something similar. You act like I'm asking you for free legal advice. Sorry bud, you didn't pass the bar exam, you might want to take a step down off that high horse.
ryguy, if I have said anything to offend you, could you please forgive me? Having said that, let me explain myself as follows.

I just Googled "painting forums." The very first hit I got was this:

Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
www.painttalk.com/
Professional Painting Contractors discussing business and trade knowledge with other painters in a free forum.
‎General Painting Discussion · ‎Painting Forum · ‎Surface Preparation and ...

Notice the phrase after the words Paint Talk. They are "Professional Painting Contractors Forum." I believe that describes the nature of this forum and those to whom it is directed.

As far as my using the term "vandalism" with regards to describing what you may have done to your house, I did not say that you "vandalized" your house, but that what you have done might be considered the equivalent of vandalizing your own property. While I realize that the term "vandalize" and all its other forms usually refer to damage being done by persons to either public property or property that is not their own, the effect to the property can be just the same. There is an old saying that goes "whether the knife falls on the melon or the melon falls on the knife, it is still the melon that gets cut." In your case it means that even though you own the property, what you have done to it may as well be vandalism for all the effect it has had and all the work that will be needed to correct it. Don't feel too bad. I have done it myself and I am sure others here may also have at one point.

As far as my not passing the bar exam, you are correct. I never went to law school. In fact, I never finished high school, so I guess I am at best only on a miniature pony, if that. The good part about this is that I have less chance of falling down when I get off. All I have to do is stand up.

As to your original post:

You said that the house is old, so I am assuming that the ceilings and walls are plaster and not drywall.

You say that there were a lot of cracks in the walls, so you applied some sort of "texture" to these ceilings walls to hide the cracks. You don't give much description of either how wide or numerous the cracks are or exactly what "texture" or substance you put on the walls. You also don't describe the finish on the walls, whether it is oil or latex or calcimine paint, or whether it is flat or to some degree shiny.

Next you say that the house was left vacant for 2 years, but you don't give any other description of this 2 year vacancy, such as whether or not the heat and/or AC or humidity was maintained at approporiate levels during this period, any or all of which could have contributed to the texture flaking off the ceilings and walls.

Just after the midpoint in your original post you mention applying this texture over wallpaper without telling us whether or not you did any kind of prep first or just skimmed the compound directly over the wallpaper, nor why you elected not to remove the wallpaper. You say that you thought that the problems with the texture over the wallpaper were due to how you applied it over the wallpaper - without telling us how you actually applied it, then you tell us that a contractor (of what trade you do not say) told you that it was not because of how you applied the texture, but because of the type of joint compound you used, then ask us if this is true without telling us what type of joint compound you used.

After all this lack of pertinent information, you then ask the forum if it would be good to scrape off the loose texture, then shoot more texture on the ceilings and walls and without priming because of lack of funds.

Most of the time, when a nonprofessional comes to Paint Talk for advice, they are referred to the sister site http://www.diychatroom.com/ . Sometimes, if the poster seems to know what they are talking about and the questions they bring are of interest to the moderators, those in the forum will be given a small window to bandy the topic about, but then the original poster will be directed over to the DIY Chatroom and the PT thread will be closed.

It is difficult enough for professional painters to give accurate descriptions of their problems right off the bat in their original post (myself included), but there is a whole bunch of info missing from your post, certainly too much to allow myself and probably others here to take a WAG (wild ass guess) as to what you should do.

My suggestion is to give as much information as you can figure would be logically needed in order to get reasonably accruate advice before being redirected to the DIY Chatroom as you will be running into the same problems there with members asking for various details as I have inferred above.

I wish you well on your project.

futtyos
fauxlynn likes this.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:15 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 66
Thanked 4,706 Times in 3,174 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Guy uses cheap a55 texture paint from a store that has absolutely no knowledge of the product or even painting in general tells a real professional to get off his high horse! Classic! Should have just used mud.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
Old 05-23-2018, 02:21 PM   #9

“....miniature pony.....”

Man, you’re killin’ me
SemiproJohn likes this.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:18 PM   #10

Default Giddeyap

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauxlynn View Post
“....miniature pony.....”

Man, you’re killin’ me
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/c2/5e...87d0e28b48.jpg

futtyos
fauxlynn likes this.
Old 05-23-2018, 03:31 PM   #11

It’s hard to take a man on a pony seriously,even Clint Eastwood
futtyos (05-23-2018)
Old 05-23-2018, 04:42 PM   #12
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,807 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer if you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If your not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.
Closed Thread