Cleaning oxidized aluminum clad windows - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View PaintGuy321's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cleaning oxidized aluminum clad windows

I have had several HO's ask me what they can do with aluminum clad windows that have oxidized and dulled over time. Seems to reach a peak by about 4-5 years after new window installation and manufacturer doesn't seem to matter much - they all seem to do it to a degree. I've tried dilute solutions of Simple Green and white scotch brite pads (scratch free) and that seems to do a pretty good job. I also stumbled onto wiping with lacquer thinner (had to clean off some oily residue on one window) and that also seems to clean and brighten but I'm worried about use of solvent on extruded aluminum windows.

I'm curious if others have tackled this problem and have solutions. This seems to be an untapped market in my area and I'm thinking of capitalizing on it. Recent HO told his wife they need to sell (just because windows were oxidized). I'm thinking if that's the case and you're looking at $20-30K for new windows in a home - one could charge pretty good rate if you have a lasting solution. I'm also thinking that a couple coats of automotive wax would help prolong a cleaning.

Other ideas ??
Thanks!
PaintGuy321 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,800 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

You can clean them, but short of putting a coating on them, there is really nothing else you can do to restore them. I have a two step cleaning process (acid/caustic) that I use for oxidized aluminum.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
PaintGuy321 (10-26-2009)
Old 10-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 1,001 Times in 524 Posts
View premierpainter's Photo Album My Photos

You can try Chomp Pro but be careful not to let it dry on the glass it will etch them. Cleans gutters great.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
premierpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to premierpainter For This Useful Post:
PaintGuy321 (10-26-2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 05:51 PM   #4
Born To Be Mild

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,704 Times in 1,000 Posts
View bikerboy's Photo Album My Photos

Go to a car or motorcycle shop.

Never dull, Mother's aluminnum polish, and many others. You will polish your butt off to get the shine, then it just needs to be maintained. A drill with a cotton buffing wheel and one of those polishes will make it go much faster.

Also try Eastwood's.

http://www.eastwood.com/buffing/meta...buff-kits.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

bikerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bikerboy For This Useful Post:
PaintGuy321 (10-26-2009)
Old 10-26-2009, 09:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 556
View LA Painter's Photo Album My Photos

The frame is usually the widest and most noticeable part, so I’ll often prime & paint it to match the house color - making it blend in.

Unless someone plans on polishing the windows on a regular basis, it’s just going to corrode again.
LA Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None