Cold Weather Deck Stain - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 01-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 26
View phahn's Photo Album My Photos
Default Cold Weather Deck Stain

Does anyone know of a cold weather deck stain?
Client is putting there house up for sale and wants the deck spruced up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
phahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 06:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

This is a tough one.

1) No

2) Decks are half a nightmare anyway, putting any stain on in the winter will be crazy and it will fail in an epic manner. I wouldn't want my name on that job

3)If you do it, it doesn't matter what you use to "spruce it up" to the HO's satisfaction, as long as they get rid of the house pretty quickly, before it goes pear shaped.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 06:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 286
Thanked 1,024 Times in 634 Posts
View I paint paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by phahn View Post
Does anyone know of a cold weather deck stain?
Client is putting there house up for sale and wants the deck spruced up.

What will be the low/high ambient and substrate temperature range before, during and after application?
I paint paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

no! NO!

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #5
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

I once had a project that we covered with plastic and ran diesel heaters to control the temps. Granted cost wasn't the concern.

Otherwise I wouldn't but...

I'd use an oil base not a water base.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:26 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 3,012
Thanked 5,801 Times in 2,487 Posts
View PressurePros's Photo Album My Photos

An oil based sealer will never cure. The rain will just slowly wash it away. Or, everything that floats through the air will stick to it.

If client is adamant about sealing the deck, let them know the pitfalls and that if they don't sell by winter and depending on where you live, it could look crappy in a few months. My advice to them is to just get it washed. It will give the appearance of a newer looking deck and save them money. let the next person worry about sealing it.

PressurePros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PressurePros For This Useful Post:
PACman (01-14-2016), Tonyg (01-14-2016)
Old 01-14-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
Paintist

Rewards Points: 506
View Andyman's Photo Album My Photos

The actual temperature is unknown here but solvent evaporation isn't dependent on temperature like water base is.

A wash only would be a good option (and I agree) but if it's cold enough then it will freeze and not dry, but if it dries then why wouldn't solvent evaporate?

I'm not promising facts just constructively thinking. The only fact I promise is that I've built a controlled environment to stain late in the season. Ive never thrown stain on outside of application limits for money sake.
Old 01-14-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Flog a Mocker

Rewards Points: 116
View Tonyg's Photo Album My Photos

Jake Clark from Armstrong Clark stain once told me that if I was going to do a cold weather job that if the product was warm it would work and to keep the stain heated the night before. I've done 1 or 2 cold weather projects like this and they turned out fine and lasted normal life cycle.

Granted, we're talking Virginia Beach winter so we're talking upper 30's-40's. I wouldn't recommend it unless it's out of necessity. That said, I would clean it to look like new wood - that's what everybody wants anyway and it would be cheaper for the seller.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:45 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 158
Thanked 4,712 Times in 3,179 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Before this thread goes any further I need to point out that it not only depends on what is considered "cold" but what kind of stain. I have two solid deck stains that can be applied down to 35 deg f. But none of my semitransparents recommend any temp below 50.

And this morning it was 25 deg f. here and I was walking around quite comfortably in a short sleeved shirt. So what is "cold" and what isn't? If it is 50 degrees using any stain would work fine. Any temp below that and unless you are using a solid I wouldn't without some written agreement with your customer about the possibility of problems down the road.

Also if it has rained or snowed in your area and the wood has gotten below 32 degrees you would actually have frozen water in the pores of the wood, which would probably keep anything from properly penetrating.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PACman For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (01-14-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 08:21 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 44
View radio11's Photo Album My Photos

Watch this (or read this since it's typed in a forum)...

If I were asked to "spruce up" a deck for a cold weather sell, I would highly consider (wait for it) Thompson's Water Seal. Wash it properly (don't fuzz it up and allow to fully dry) and spray that cheap crap right on it. Not sure what the can says, but seems like if temps stay above 40 for a day or 2, it would probably work good.

That stuff usually only last 120 days or so in the rain, sun etc, but it's inexpensive and really can't be screwed up. Like KD said, I wouldn't want my name on a job doomed to fail, but the Thompson's wears off soon enough and really doesn't go through a crappy, flaky, nightmare cycle. It doesn't go away mad--it just goes away.

Communication with the homeowner would be a big deal to me. "Here's what I'm doing and why". We use pressure treated pine for decks here in the Deep South and I keep plenty here at the shop to test products beforehand. It will look much better than a washed only deck IMO. That always looks dry and unkempt.

radio11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radio11 For This Useful Post:
kdpaint (01-16-2016)
Old 01-16-2016, 08:30 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by radio11 View Post
Watch this (or read this since it's typed in a forum)...

If I were asked to "spruce up" a deck for a cold weather sell, I would highly consider (wait for it) Thompson's Water Seal. Wash it properly (don't fuzz it up and allow to fully dry) and spray that cheap crap right on it. Not sure what the can says, but seems like if temps stay above 40 for a day or 2, it would probably work good.

Hahaha, thanks for having the guts to mention this as an option. I thought of it, but feared the judgment of the many. For me, it's either run away, or do a midnight application of Thompson's while wearing a ninja outfit.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kdpaint For This Useful Post:
radio11 (01-16-2016)
Old 01-17-2016, 12:23 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 26
View phahn's Photo Album My Photos

It's been almost 50 in NJ for the last couple of days. But nights in low 30's.
Real estate agent asked me again today to do it so the listing photos look good.
Superdeck says you can apply it down to 35 but the ambient temp can't drop below that for 48 hours. So, they are going to have to wait.

phahn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None