Doors- oil or latex? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 01-27-2008, 11:10 AM   #1
Go Cardinals!!!

Rewards Points: 75
View DelW's Photo Album My Photos
Default Doors- oil or latex?

The thread about doors and problems with sagging got me to thinking. For new interior doors, do you prefer to use oil or latex. Myself, if I'm using my HVLP I prefer to spray with oil. However I seem to switch back and forth between oil and latex, and between my HVLP and my airless. Guess I just can't make up my mind.

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
APC
painter/owner

View APC's Photo Album My Photos

The doors I have the problems with in the previous thread I used latex-and behr at that. The homeowner already used it throughout the house with a previous painter and wanted me to use the same. Ive used oil doing them by hand I like the extended working time, but latex seems to be fine with spraying.(excluding the previous problem of course)

Last edited by APC; 01-27-2008 at 11:58 AM..
APC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 514
View GMack's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelW View Post
The thread about doors and problems with sagging got me to thinking. For new interior doors, do you prefer to use oil or latex. Myself, if I'm using my HVLP I prefer to spray with oil. However I seem to switch back and forth between oil and latex, and between my HVLP and my airless. Guess I just can't make up my mind.
I think this is why they invented the air-assisted airless. The best of both worlds from what I've heard. I don't own one but am getting dangerously close to buying one . . . as far as oil or latex, I really try to use latex whenever I can. I used to be a bit of an oil snob, still am to a degree, but these days prefer latex for health reasons, practicality in terms of drying time as it relates to dust, etc . . . In a perfect world, I prefer hand-brushed oil any day but we don't live there so . . .

Mack
GMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #4
Painter/Owner

Rewards Points: 250
View Housepainter's Photo Album My Photos

I am sure most of you are aware of the fact, but we must remember that in the near future Oil Based paint will be disappearing from the market. This being due to VOC issues. The better local paint stores here are doing their best to lead a customer from using the oil based paints.
Housepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150
View The paint whisperer's Photo Album My Photos

I like to brush with oil.
I will have to switch to latex when they stop selling oil base...
The paint whisperer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #6

View painter jeff's Photo Album My Photos

We don't really do many repaints, we do a lot of new const. paint jobs. All the G.C.'s we work for want latex paint on all there trim and doors.

When spraying new doors, with or without a grain pattern,.when using latex, if you get a run, or sag, don't try to get out at that moment, let dry there first. this way you get a even finish.

Now the way to get rid of the run, or sag, is to take lacquer thinner on a rag, and rub that area and wipe it off..It's like washing your mistake away..

This works on dried latex, and oil...then before rehanging your doors, respray that area, to keep the same smooth finish...No sanding needed...

This is the fastest and easiest way to remove latex and oil runs ,and sags..And it really works.

The problem with using a small roller, at the time you get you run, or sag, is that now you have two different textures on your door. When dried ,that doesn't look very good...

Even the best spray people get runs or sags...I've been spraying for 27 years, and at times i still get runs, or sags... but with my little trick to fix them, i don't let it bother me anymore....s**t happens...
painter jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:08 PM   #7
FT painter/FT dad

Rewards Points: 500
View Rich's Photo Album My Photos

Latex
Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 514
View GMack's Photo Album My Photos

Now the way to get rid of the run, or sag, is to take lacquer thinner on a rag, and rub that area and wipe it off..It's like washing your mistake away..

This works on dried latex, and oil...then before rehanging your doors, respray that area, to keep the same smooth finish...No sanding needed...

This is the fastest and easiest way to remove latex and oil runs ,and sags..And it really works.

Thanks for that one Painter Jeff. Good info, now filed away to be called on in the future Hopefully not very often!
GMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:41 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Here ya go https://www.painttalk.com/showthread....ighlight=Doors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:18 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 25
View Rossiter Painting's Photo Album My Photos

I use latex. The only thing I use oil for is to cover stains or as a primer on old cabinets. Or whatever else it may need it for.
Rossiter Painting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None