Drywall Texture Replication - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 10-30-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos
Default Drywall Texture Replication

I want to start this thread to discuss texture patterns and how to best replicate them. I do a lot of remodel painting and texture comes into play with wallpaper stripping when going to paint grade. There are a BUNCH of textures out there and replication is willy nilly guess work at times. Ideally, I like to keep the homes consistent in texture for flow.

Hoping to be a thread of practical pictures and advice feedback as situations arise. Please post your texture pics and lets try to figure em out!
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

sometimes its nearly impossible to match.

Which types do you have most difficulty with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 12:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10
View Lance Stewart's Photo Album My Photos

Matching texture has been the bane of my existence at times. My garage ceiling exhibits the scars of my attempts ...and failures. The problem for me revolves around the inconsistencies inherent from room to room (or wall to wall within the same room). When the application methods or application tools seem to be consistent and result in variation how can we be expected to produce consistent results when the original applicator could not?

I'll try and gather some pictures as time trudges on and contribute to this thread when I can.

Great idea Para. If you ever find yourself needing some help matching stuff up I will be more than happy to 'attempt' to help.

*Disclaimer: I am a painter first and foremost. I am not a drywall expert nor a texture expert by any stretch of the imagination (I hate taping and floating with a passion).
Lance Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lance Stewart For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (10-30-2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-30-2010, 03:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
View HIS SERVICE's Photo Album My Photos

I'm always upfront with the homeowner/property manager that is hard to match someone else texture. Only years of experience can lead to any close replication.
HIS SERVICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
A Brush Above

Thanks, hoping to use this as a long term reference thread. No problems currently, I know there are some good drywall guys out there like Captain Sheetrock that could lend their expertise to us painters as the time arises. Thanks in advance to all.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
hoz

Rewards Points: 75
View hoz's Photo Album My Photos

Like he said, textures vary from the material used to the applicator. I've done spray acoustics, stomp, knock down or Spanish, and splatter spray. I'd consider splatter spray the hardest to "match".
hoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 03:53 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

I did a ceiling not to long ago where the additions drywall never got primed. Popcorn adhesion failed everywhere on half the ceiling except tape joints.

I can tell where the spots are that didn't blend but the HO was very happy she didn't think I could make it look that good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,026 Times in 624 Posts
View BrushJockey's Photo Album My Photos

One of my favorite successes was a "turkey foot" , needed to patch in a repair on a 40's plaster finish. went to a plasterers forum and they said pit a tire tube over a block with a handle , use loose mud and pull. worked like a charm.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:02 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

this is such a wide and broad topic. there are MANY different techniques and all are varied. I am damn good at matching/patching.. and sometimes I still get thrown for a loop. YEARS of experience is all I can tell you that will help you out. I got my knowledge patching ceilings and walls in town homes (rentals) for YEARS.. seeing what worked and what didn't.. it is like anything. Experience is king. Getting hands dirty is the only way. Do you have a specific question? What are the tools you working with? Spray can texture? Get rid of it. Invest in a real system (graco texture machine or the like) then come back. Do lots of testing.. be the texture young grasshopper..

these are deceiving... as it looks as though there was still a small crack.. I assure you there was NONE.

Last edited by nEighter; 11-01-2010 at 02:09 AM..
nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nEighter For This Useful Post:
hoz (11-01-2010)
Old 11-01-2010, 08:08 AM   #10
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 182
Thanked 8,654 Times in 4,039 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Good looking repairs and matches you guys. Gotta agree with Nate that solid experience is what the determining factor is. I did so much of this in the insurance resto end of the business that it all seemed just seemed like second hand abilities. Only when I read this thread did it bring to mind all the jobs I struggled on whilst learning. Splatter spray and knock-downs are tough, though if you keep a scrap piece of drywall to adjust your spray on it goes pretty good.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:32 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Nate did you tape that crack?

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:20 PM   #12
A Brush Above

Default roll texture

So spray, knock down stomps, i have a fairly good grasp on, but rolled textures are new to me (I dont know and have yet to try), Can anyone give me advice on best methods to achieve? Here in the South, rolled texture is fairly common and I probably ought to figure it out for keeping consistency if/ when the situation arises.

Thanks
Thomas
Attached Thumbnails
Drywall Texture Replication-img00292.jpg  

Old 11-05-2010, 11:27 PM   #13
RCP

Rewards Points: 78
Thanked 4,804 Times in 3,011 Posts
View RCP's Photo Album My Photos

This is a good thread, great way to show the regional differences. It will help if you guys all put a name to the finish, as scattered as we all are, there may be some differences.
Thanks

RCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 12:25 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
Nate did you tape that crack?
yep, I always embed tape. That is dig the old out if it is a joint, scrape, secure, retape, and texture.. Only way to do it.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:05 PM   #15
I love spraying texture!

Rewards Points: 25
View The_Texture_Guy's Photo Album My Photos

Just my two cents

As a professional texture guy, painters should stick to paint, its what they do, and texture guys should do the texture

Yes i have worked wonders with the cans of texture but you have to know where and when to use them, and what kind.

I have never seen a very good orange peel patch job with hoppers. It is very hard to match unless you use a grayco machine. even then those are temperamental.

Believe it or not, I have been called to spray a 5x5 bathroom specifically told to use my spray rig. That is really the only thing that will do a decent job. you can get all types of textures with it. I own 4 types of machines to apply texture; a portable hand held hopper. The do okay but are limited in tip sizes. A small pump gun that does wonders on small orange peel stuff. A grayco sprayer (the second largest that they make) does a very decent job of orange peel. Knockdown is ok but not great.
And finally my 300 gallon spray rig.

I have never met a handy man that can get stuff perfect because they arent from a texture background.

Texture is an art form. Its all about pressure, thickness of mud, tip size, and know how.

If you want perfection on walls, hire a drywall punchout specifically, not a handyman or painter.
The_Texture_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:47 PM   #16
TERRY365

Rewards Points: 502
View TERRY365PAINTER's Photo Album My Photos

Well I do Painting and Patching all the Time . orange peel can be a pain
specially on ceilings . Great results with cans , or ''small washing brushes'' i just
flick it to match . Sponging is also the Key and priming ,,, Priming before and
after texturing .. Just bought the graco rtx 900 i hate it , but the hopper is great . Also running your patches alittle bit bigger helps too . I guess it depends on the patch .. oh 5 min mudd and a hair dryer works great too. oh and another thing . mudd thickness is also really important .
TERRY365PAINTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:50 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 158
View CobraCDN's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Texture_Guy
Just my two cents

As a professional texture guy, painters should stick to paint, its what they do, and texture guys should do the texture
This kinda rubbed me wrong, Lots of painters & tapers can texture, and produce a professional job. I've got over 25 years of experience.
Sorry just wanted to refund your 2 cents

Cheers
CobraCDN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CobraCDN For This Useful Post:
2buckcanuck (01-01-2011), Capt-sheetrock (01-01-2011), luny2nz (02-07-2015)
Old 01-01-2011, 09:05 AM   #18
I love spraying texture!

Rewards Points: 25
View The_Texture_Guy's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERRY365PAINTER View Post
Well I do Painting and Patching all the Time . orange peel can be a pain
specially on ceilings . Great results with cans , or ''small washing brushes'' i just
flick it to match . Sponging is also the Key and priming ,,, Priming before and
after texturing .. Just bought the graco rtx 900 i hate it , but the hopper is great . Also running your patches alittle bit bigger helps too . I guess it depends on the patch .. oh 5 min mudd and a hair dryer works great too. oh and another thing . mudd thickness is also really important .
Orange peel is easy, thats why we use our spray rig to do it. Its the only way to get a perfect match. the best grayco to use are the 1st and 2nd higest expensive machines, i have the 2nd and only use that on places my texture rig can't get to. You can work wonders with that orangepeel can for sure. alot of times i use the knockdown can to spray the orange peel and it comes out better. Ive found to that feathering out a patch is the best thing. I have never primed anything before texture and i don't see the point in that yet because when we spray texture it is typically on a drywall surface and spraying on paint just takes do long for things to dry.

The_Texture_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:55 PM   #19
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Texture_Guy View Post
Just my two cents

Yes i have worked wonders with the cans of texture but you have to know where and when to use them, and what kind.

I have never seen a very good orange peel patch job with hoppers. It is very hard to match unless you use a grayco machine. even then those are temperamental.

Believe it or not, I have been called to spray a 5x5 bathroom specifically told to use my spray rig. That is really the only thing that will do a decent job. you can get all types of textures with it. I own 4 types of machines to apply texture; a portable hand held hopper. The do okay but are limited in tip sizes. A small pump gun that does wonders on small orange peel stuff. A grayco sprayer (the second largest that they make) does a very decent job of orange peel. Knockdown is ok but not great.
And finally my 300 gallon spray rig.

I have never met a handy man that can get stuff perfect because they arent from a texture background.

Texture is an art form. Its all about pressure, thickness of mud, tip size, and know how.

If you want perfection on walls, hire a drywall punchout specifically, not a handyman or painter.
k, I'll just turn down my normal wallpaper removal, skim, and texture jobs of kitchen/bathrooms. I'll pass this easy work on to somebody else.

TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #20
TERRY365

Rewards Points: 502
View TERRY365PAINTER's Photo Album My Photos

Orange peel is easy, thats why we use our spray rig to do it. Its the only way to get a perfect match. the best grayco to use are the 1st and 2nd higest expensive machines, i have the 2nd and only use that on places my texture rig can't get to. You can work wonders with that orangepeel can for sure. alot of times i use the knockdown can to spray the orange peel and it comes out better. Ive found to that feathering out a patch is the best thing. I have never primed anything before texture and i don't see the point in that yet because when we spray texture it is typically on a drywall surface and spraying on paint just takes do long for things to dry.

ok the reason for priming , specially if it's a patch , ok not in every case do i prime , and large ceiling patch or wall patch . Where matching is critical 'paint help's equalize the the floated areas to the painted areas . Best with a flat paint also , cuz some primers can seal to much .. again cuzing it to flash . I spray use a Marshalltown rig: small compressor, mason gun. I have used everything to create texture . I make a living almost doing patches Alone , drying also 5 min mudd and a hair dryer works wonders period . yeah i wish i could afford a mark 4 or 5 but for patches over kill .
TERRY365PAINTER is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None