Exterior Paint- Whats beter to use using airless: PPG-Manor Hall or SW-Duration - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 04-23-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 60
View elitecoatings.co's Photo Album My Photos
Default Exterior Paint- Whats beter to use using airless: PPG-Manor Hall or SW-Duration

Looking for a product that will last long! Client wants a warranty with the paint and is willing to pay the price, for quality paint? I used ppg-timeless a bunch and really like it, but only applied it with brush and roller on trim, doors, ext. This job is lap siding-no back-rolling, all one color and I will be using an airless sprayer. What product would be best for spraying: PPG-Manor Hall, Manor Hall-Timeless or SW-Duration?

Also painting the exterior roof-metal, any product recommendations? I was thinking of using PPG-Pitt Tech plus DTM. The homeowner asked for PPG-BreakThrough? Anyone tried this?

Climate: 1000-1500 elevation in Northern California
elitecoatings.co is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 04:14 PM   #2
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

I like Behr. Its da bomb.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #3
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

How long?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,614
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,863 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos

Sorry Jack, I was being crass. In response to the OP, I like Duration sprayed. Other than being an intensely high priced product, it is good stuff.

Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Logistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigmzz
Sorry Jack, I was being crass. In response to the OP, I like Duration sprayed. Other than being an intensely high priced product, it is good stuff.
Was just curious how long the HO expects the paint job to last.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:30 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 500
View JoseyWales's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigmzz View Post
Benjamin Moore is also rediculously priced...There are many acrylics you can purchase for 40% less that are just as good...Just don't buy their paint and the law of supply/demand will kick in...Eventually BM and SW will have to lower their prices....But if painters continue to buy their products they have no reason to change...I don't know how BM and SW stay in busness where I live in Canada -----> compared to Cloverdale,General Paint and ICI .....BM and SW stores are basically empty...I never have to wait in line at those 2 stores.

Last edited by JoseyWales; 04-24-2011 at 10:38 AM..
JoseyWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,172 Times in 2,981 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

What sheen?

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:21 AM   #8

PPG: Timeless comes with lifetime warranty or so they say. Homeowner wants paint to last 15-20 years. My labor warranty is for 2 years.

Sheen: Satin

SW, BM or KM are the common paint stores around here.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #9

With satin I wouldn't hesitate to spray Duration. Should turn out very nice, if they are willing to pay $50 a gal for paint.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #10

One Coat? or two? whats a good size tip to use for such thick paint? also do you use any thinner? Thinking of using a .515-519 or .615-619 Thanks for the advice!

Last edited by elitecoatings.co; 04-24-2011 at 12:34 PM..
Old 04-24-2011, 01:18 PM   #11

I normally use a 517. Coats would depend on the substrate and color change. If you need to thin you will know in a few minutes. If you want you can reduce with a little water.

You probably won't need extender unless you were using gloss over smooth surface. It dries so fast it will lap on you.

Old 04-24-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
Logistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitecoatings.co View Post
Homeowner wants paint to last 15-20 years.
um. no.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack pauhl For This Useful Post:
JNLP (04-24-2011), ligboozer (05-09-2011)
Old 05-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #13
TGP

Rewards Points: 10
View TGP's Photo Album My Photos

always makes me laugh when I see people wanting there paint to last 15-20 years. Painted my Dad's house with Rodda's Ultimate and the neighbor got Miller Evolution. Probably tough for you to get in Nor Cal. It's been 3 years and they both still look great. Problem is the formula's will probably be completely different by the time I feel it's worth spending the money on them or not!

BM Super Spec is good stuff, but I have had issues with the Aura, lapping and such... SW Duration seems to be good stuff, I would say go with that.
TGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
Painting & More

Rewards Points: 576
View A+HomeWork's Photo Album My Photos
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
With satin I wouldn't hesitate to spray Duration. Should turn out very nice, if they are willing to pay $50 a gal for paint.
Retail shelf price in Okla. is $55.99 for Satin. It may very well get to $60.99 with oil prices climbing. That's why they told my prices jumped 18-24 months ago. Hmmm, they never went back down, so I guess they will only go up and stay up.

I really like Duration, but I wish they would level off their prices.
Anyone willing to share what their contractor's price on Duration Satin is?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:12 PM   #15

$48, and I had to threaten to knee cap my rep to get that.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:42 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 75
View LocalPaintPros's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by A+HomeWork View Post
Retail shelf price in Okla. is $55.99 for Satin. It may very well get to $60.99 with oil prices climbing. That's why they told my prices jumped 18-24 months ago. Hmmm, they never went back down, so I guess they will only go up and stay up.

I really like Duration, but I wish they would level off their prices.
Anyone willing to share what their contractor's price on Duration Satin is?
$46.99 before tax for Satin or Flat. Anyone paying more can PM me and I'll tell you how to get that price without having to threaten anyone .

I just heard from SW to expect a 6% - 7% price increase next month, blamed on gas prices and raw materials costs.
I understand the painting business because I currently run a successful painting company that I have owned for 6 years. I enjoy contributing to forums with my perspective on technology, business, and painting. I am also involved with a business services venture (details at at
LocalPaintPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:51 PM   #17

Back to the original question, I think either MH Timeless or Duration are fine products, although I give an edge to Duration. May just be personal preference.

If I remember right, the data sheet calls for a .015 - .019 aperture tip. We routinely use 417s. Fan width is your preference. No thinning necessary.

As for the warranty term, "Lifetime" is a marketing thing. The way I explain it to homeowners is that, yes, the chemistry of the paint is such that it won't break down and chalk out or dry up and crack due to exposure to weather. *But*, there will be plenty of other reasons why you will want to repaint. Things liike mildew growth, movement in the structure causing caulking failure, etc. All these are outside of the paint warranty. But if the paint buys you an extra 5 years of life compared to cheap paint, it's well worth the extra dollars per gallon.
I understand the painting business because I currently run a successful painting company that I have owned for 6 years. I enjoy contributing to forums with my perspective on technology, business, and painting. I am also involved with a business services venture (details at at
Old 05-07-2011, 08:56 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,924
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight_lines View Post
$48, and I had to threaten to knee cap my rep to get that.

mine is 46 and they try to go up every 4 months,

powerwashingcharlottenc
Housewashingcharlottenc
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #19

Rewards Points: 2,924
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPaintPros View Post
Back to the original question, I think either MH Timeless or Duration are fine products, although I give an edge to Duration. May just be personal preference.

If I remember right, the data sheet calls for a .015 - .019 aperture tip. We routinely use 417s. Fan width is your preference. No thinning necessary.

As for the warranty term, "Lifetime" is a marketing thing. The way I explain it to homeowners is that, yes, the chemistry of the paint is such that it won't break down and chalk out or dry up and crack due to exposure to weather. *But*, there will be plenty of other reasons why you will want to repaint. Things liike mildew growth, movement in the structure causing caulking failure, etc. All these are outside of the paint warranty. But if the paint buys you an extra 5 years of life compared to cheap paint, it's well worth the extra dollars per gallon.
mildew growth is no reason to paint again

powerwashingcharlottenc
Housewashingcharlottenc
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
mildew growth is no reason to paint again
Only if it stains the paint and won't wash clean. Catch it fast enough and it's probably not a problem. But if it stains...

Tags
None