Exterior small rock stucco - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 07-28-2014, 11:57 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
View SaskPainter's Photo Album My Photos
Default Exterior small rock stucco

Not sure if this has been covered in the forums but im looking for some imput if possible. I have a exterior which I start this week.it is a small rock stucco looking substrate. I have decided to pressure wash and give it a couple of days to dry. I chose a elastomeric exterior paint from dulux. I used this product last summer and looked at it this summer and it still looks like it was just done. This product sprayed very nice and brushed and rolled just as well. My concern is the adhesion of this product to the small rock stucco. I bid the job without the use of a primer as according to specs from dulux there is not need for one. I plan to spray first coat and spray and back roll the finish coat. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
SaskPainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 12:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
Thanked 1,034 Times in 554 Posts
View Painter-Aaron's Photo Album My Photos

I did that a few years ago, it still looks good. Uses a lot of product though... a lot
Painter-Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 05:06 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskPainter View Post
Not sure if this has been covered in the forums but im looking for some imput if possible. I have a exterior which I start this week.it is a small rock stucco looking substrate. I have decided to pressure wash and give it a couple of days to dry. I chose a elastomeric exterior paint from dulux. I used this product last summer and looked at it this summer and it still looks like it was just done. This product sprayed very nice and brushed and rolled just as well. My concern is the adhesion of this product to the small rock stucco. I bid the job without the use of a primer as according to specs from dulux there is not need for one. I plan to spray first coat and spray and back roll the finish coat. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
I've done 3 of these already this summer. Save your money, weathergaurd flat will bond perfectly, and hide like a dream.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using PaintTalk.com mobile app
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2014, 08:02 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 60
View Stonehampaintdept's Photo Album My Photos

Elastomeric siding coatings were developed with stucco in mind, in climates with no drastic season changes (like the northeast). More like Florida. They typically have poor adhesion and good cohesion.
Not familiar with the Dulux product specifically.
Stonehampaintdept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehampaintdept View Post
Elastomeric siding coatings were developed with stucco in mind, in climates with no drastic season changes (like the northeast). More like Florida. They typically have poor adhesion and good cohesion.
Not familiar with the Dulux product specifically.
Dulux (recently purchased by PPG) is called ICI, or glidden in the states

Old 07-29-2014, 10:03 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 60
View Stonehampaintdept's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by journeymanPainter View Post

I should have said.. I have no specific experience with that particular product from Dulux.
Stonehampaintdept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

Not exactly. PPG now owns a bevy of paint and coating brands, including Porter, Glidden, Olympic, Lucite, Flood, Devoe, Dulux, and Sikkens. I believe that the latter three are licensed by PPG, so it's not the case that Dulux is called Glidden in the states. Different products.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:29 AM   #8
kmp

Rewards Points: 2,514
View kmp's Photo Album My Photos

Spray and back roll the first coat, You get better results. Some job's I've backrolled the second as well, esp. if the surface is real rough.
kmp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kmp For This Useful Post:
oldccm (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 01:10 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 133
View northcountrypainter's Photo Album My Photos

We used to do a lot of those when we worked in Vancouver. In my experience weatherguard flat would be absolutely fine; although we often coated with a ceramic insulcoat product which had elastomeric properties. I don't use elastomeric as a whole building coating here in saskatchewan, and would go with the wg flat.
northcountrypainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 07:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gough View Post
Not exactly. PPG now owns a bevy of paint and coating brands, including Porter, Glidden, Olympic, Lucite, Flood, Devoe, Dulux, and Sikkens. I believe that the latter three are licensed by PPG, so it's not the case that Dulux is called Glidden in the states. Different products.
Correct, however under the Dulux umbrella they also own colour your world, ICI, and glidden. PPG has all of those brands when the purchased Akzo Nobel North America.

If you want elastomeric qualities I would use either diamond flat, or maximum weathergaurd. No need to back roll because your sleeve will be filled with rocks, and it'll look like a$$.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:27 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 154
View oldccm's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Correct, however under the Dulux umbrella they also own colour your world, ICI, and glidden. PPG has all of those brands when the purchased Akzo Nobel North America.

If you want elastomeric qualities I would use either diamond flat, or maximum weathergaurd. No need to back roll because your sleeve will be filled with rocks, and it'll look like a$$.

If it doesn't fly off pressure washing it will withstand a roller. Did a few houses last year, and they're fine. Weatherguard flat is fine too. You're going to use 30-40% more material with elastomeric though. Pretty thick paint and a decent mil required. As many have said if the jobs not spec'd elastomeric most would choose a different product
oldccm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldccm For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (07-29-2014)
Old 07-29-2014, 08:32 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 154
View oldccm's Photo Album My Photos

Ouch. Just double checked numbers
Elastomeric
12 mils wet
133-162 sq/ft gallon

Weatherguard Flat
4 mils wet
380-420 sq/ft gallon
oldccm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:17 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 12
View SaskPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for all your imput guys, made me look into some other products and decided to go with diamond exterior. This is an awesome site.
SaskPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 11:36 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 1,392
View Boco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskPainter View Post
Thanks for all your imput guys, made me look into some other products and decided to go with diamond exterior. This is an awesome site.
Good choice. I like to spray and backroll with a lambswool roller. Try not to work in sun and keep a wet edge. The elastomer paints are great but are more for very porous surfaces. Kinda like the block used at Sams club and walmart. PPG also has the 450 Fortis which covers nice.

Last edited by Boco; 07-31-2014 at 11:38 PM.. Reason: q
Boco is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None