Galvanized Drip Edge Rusting - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By Holland
  • 1 Post By finishesbykevyn
  • 3 Post By Lightningboy65
  • 1 Post By Holland
  • 3 Post By Redux
  • 2 Post By Redux
  • 5 Post By CApainter
  • 1 Post By Brushman4
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 05:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 4
View finethreads's Photo Album My Photos
Default Galvanized Drip Edge Rusting

Hi all, my home is 5 years old. Live in Florida just a couple hundred feet away from the Gulf. Lots of humidity and salt in the air. After year two I started battling a rusting drip edge at the corners of my house where the vertical trim boards sit on top of galvanized drip edge. I have tried several times to address this issue.

Last attempt:
Sand paint and rust off down to metal
Coat with Ospho and let it dry
Prime with Sherwin Williams Pro Cryl primer
Top coat with Benjamin Moore Aura Satin

Within a week I have rust bleeding through again.

Any ideas on how I can address this issue?

Galvanized Drip Edge Rusting-ee156139-64d8-44cf-8f92-58cafadfad74.jpg

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,140
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by finethreads View Post
Hi all, my home is 5 years old. Live in Florida just a couple hundred feet away from the Gulf. Lots of humidity and salt in the air. After year two I started battling a rusting drip edge at the corners of my house where the vertical trim boards sit on top of galvanized drip edge. I have tried several times to address this issue.

Last attempt:
Sand paint and rust off down to metal
Coat with Ospho and let it dry
Prime with Sherwin Williams Pro Cryl primer
Top coat with Benjamin Moore Aura Satin

Within a week I have rust bleeding through again.

Any ideas on how I can address this issue?

Attachment 106027
Prime rust spots with oil based primer and re-paint.

A water-based primer will only promote rust return.
Brushman4 likes this.
Old 03-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #3
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,017
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

I never understood why they don't leave a little space between drip edge and trim. Water and junk just gets trapped in there...
Holland likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to finishesbykevyn For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (03-26-2020)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2020, 07:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 4
View finethreads's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks! I will try the oil based primer.
Old 03-21-2020, 07:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 662
View Joe67's Photo Album My Photos

You do have to get all of the rust out first, but trying to get *anything* to hold up around salt water is ... well a problem. Salt just eats stuff including the zinc coating that goes over steel to make it galvanized. Once you work it again, perhaps just add inspecting and recoating that to your spring & fall maintenance lists (if you do such things).

You very well may be asked to move this question to the associated DIY forum (where many of the pros here also answer).
Old 03-21-2020, 09:35 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,482
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

I'm not going to sugar coat....that's going to be an ongoing problem, no matter what you do. The problem is in poor design. While the extended water table trim board looks good, the top is a water trap. Aluminum, copper , or lead (depending on time period of construction) edge should have been used. Anything but steel. The building doesn't look that old (less than 50 y maybe?)...they should have used aluminum.
CApainter, Brushman4 and Redux like this.
Old 03-22-2020, 07:37 AM   #7
Kev D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
I'm not going to sugar coat....that's going to be an ongoing problem, no matter what you do. The problem is in poor design. While the extended water table trim board looks good, the top is a water trap. Aluminum, copper , or lead (depending on time period of construction) edge should have been used. Anything but steel. The building doesn't look that old (less than 50 y maybe?)...they should have used aluminum.
Building looks brand new to me. Still a bad design. Atleast they put a metal flashing on top of the wood. Around here, people use those stupid wooden drip edges with no metal flashing over them. Water sits on it and rotts the whole bottem if the house out. Stop it. Just stop it. Another classic spot is the horizontal trim boards following the roof line and windows with no drip edge. They all rott out. So sad.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
I never understood why they don't leave a little space between drip edge and trim. Water and junk just gets trapped in there...
Agree. There should be a space between flashing and trim to allow it to dry out. Looks tight.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:47 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 628
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Iím thinking that a conventional oil primer would saponify and quickly fail if in contact with galvanized steel. If the existing paint and rust were removed from the flashing, Iíd opt for something such as Corotech ORGANIC ZINC RICH PRIMER V170 and top coat it with an thermoplastic compatible acrylic. The zinc in the primer will provide cathodic protection against rust. The Corotech product is MPI approved for that type of application whereas conventional oil primers arenít. It is however a bit pricey just for a few flashings.

You could try looking into some of the zinc rich primers or rusty galvanized steel primers on MPIís approved product list.

http://www.specifypaint.com/APL/pain...dxByMPInum.asp
CApainter, NACE and Lightningboy65 like this.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
I’m thinking that a conventional oil primer would saponify and quickly fail if in contact with galvanized steel. If the existing paint and rust were removed from the flashing, I’d opt for something such as Corotech ORGANIC ZINC RICH PRIMER V170 and top coat it with an thermoplastic compatible acrylic. The zinc in the primer will provide cathodic protection against rust. The Corotech product is MPI approved for that type of application whereas conventional oil primers aren’t. It is however a bit pricey just for a few flashings.

You could try looking into some of the zinc rich primers or rusty galvanized steel primers on MPI’s approved product list.

http://www.specifypaint.com/APL/pain...dxByMPInum.asp
If it's rusting, the zink clearly is no longer on the steel. And besides, its already painted. Going over the existing surface should not be a problem.
Old 03-22-2020, 09:55 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 628
View Redux's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
If it's rusting, the zink clearly is no longer on the steel. And besides, its already painted. Going over the existing surface should not be a problem.
If prepping and exposing steel, coating over zinc with oil can be a problem.

First photo is of a galvanized steel overhead door prepared, spot primed with oil rust inhibitive primer, and refinished. The oil primer saponified within 4 months resulting in rust returning.

2nd photo is of the same galvanized steel door re-prepped, spot priming only bare metal with zinc primer, and refinished 2 years ago. No saponification or rust.

It works..the oil primer didnít work due to residual zinc..
Attached Thumbnails
Galvanized Drip Edge Rusting-22e19854-aa2a-4095-bc11-fe8c4d3bf426.jpg  

Galvanized Drip Edge Rusting-47bec976-3ac9-417a-a507-7efdb4f28c3e.jpg  

CApainter and Brushman4 like this.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
If prepping and exposing steel, coating over zinc with oil can be a problem.

First photo is of a galvanized steel overhead door prepared, spot primed with oil rust inhibitive primer, and refinished. The oil primer saponified within 4 months resulting in rust returning.

2nd photo is of the same galvanized steel door re-prepped, spot priming only bare metal with zinc primer, and refinished 2 years ago. No saponification or rust.

It works..the oil primer didn’t work due to residual zinc..
Needlessly complicated using an obscure product.

Prime the rust spots with an oil based primer and re-paint.

*underlying problem (flashing tightly touching trim) will cause routine maintenance no matter what.

Last edited by Holland; 03-22-2020 at 10:09 AM..
Old 03-22-2020, 10:12 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,610
Thanked 9,645 Times in 5,484 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

I was able to fend off a similar problem in a similar environment after rust converter, oil primer, and oil finish failed . What worked for me was removing as much of the rust scale as possible by grinding, followed by a couple of coats of a high build epoxy (Devoe Bar Rust for example), followed by a couple of coats of an acrylic architectual finish product.

The key to preventing rust, or existing rust from re-occurring, is to create as thick of a film barrier as possible. Typically, this can only be achieved by amide epoxies. It's a lot of detail to remedy a poor metal material choice to begin with.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 3,224
View Brushman4's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightningboy65 View Post
Years ago the wife and I went down to the Florida Keys for a 3-week vacation. One night we were out late walking back to our nearby Hotel from a bar on the Overseas Highway. We kept hearing this crackling, sizzling type sound and couldn't figure out what the hell it was. The next morning we went out for breakfast and asked some of the locals where the sound was coming from, they all laughed and said it was the salt in the air burning off of the high tension wires above the roadway.
Lightningboy65 likes this.
Old 03-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 52
Thanked 2,430 Times in 1,275 Posts
View SemiproJohn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushman4 View Post
Years ago the wife and I went down to the Florida Keys for a 3-week vacation. One night we were out late walking back to our nearby Hotel from a bar on the Overseas Highway. We kept hearing this crackling, sizzling type sound and couldn't figure out what the hell it was. The next morning we went out for breakfast and asked some of the locals where the sound was coming from, they all laughed and said it was the salt in the air burning off of the high tension wires above the roadway.

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down

Saltzilla!
Old 03-23-2020, 06:56 AM   #16
Kev D.

I agree, the only way to truly get the problem under control is to grind all the rust off and prime with proper rust inhibitive primer. This may be hard to do though as the rust may be leaching from behind the trim or from the under side. As it's not in a detremental spot, hence hindering the integrety of the structure, I probably wouldn't put too much effort into it. (like Holland said)I would however trim a 1\2" off those corner trims though for some breathing room..
Old 03-24-2020, 10:52 PM   #17
RH

Rewards Points: 6,870
Thanked 15,534 Times in 8,183 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks for posting on PaintTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site.www.DIYChatroom.com

PaintTalk.com is designed for professional painting contractors and the related fields to discuss issues and topics pertaining to the painting industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assisting you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.diychatroom.com/register.php .

This thread is now closed.

Bill Watterson
Closed Thread