GARDZ vs. PEEL STOP - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 02-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View costab06's Photo Album My Photos
Default GARDZ vs. PEEL STOP

Hi all,

I'm looking at the entire interior of a 3000 sqft house with seriously peeling paint. There is no history of moisture as far as I know. The walls were originally skim coated, something (it looks like builders flat) was applied, then a semi-gloss top coat. It's all original and 17 years old.

Some sections of the of the walls, primarily on the outside walls, are seriously compromised. I can peel large seconds off fairly easily. Other sections are still adhering very well.

The undeside of a peeling paint chip is a different color than the top coat - this looks like the original primer. The wall underneath is powered. it looks like the skimcoat deteriorated and is separating.

My question is which product to use to seal this up once it's scraped. My initial feeling was GARDZ, but I noticed the PEEL STOP product which I have never used. Once sealed, the walls will get skim coated again and primed and painted.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
costab06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by costab06 View Post

The undeside of a peeling paint chip is a different color than the top coat - this looks like the original primer. The wall underneath is powered. it looks like the skimcoat deteriorated and is separating.
I am having difficulty visualizing your situation, but this line bothers me. Plaster that has powdered is a sign of moisture, called efflorescence.
Quote:
1. Efflorescence is a condition where white (salt) deposits (in the form of a fluffy powder) form on the plaster surface. The formation of salts is usually a sign of excessive amounts of moisture in the back-up material, such as brick or concrete. 2. Salt deposits on the surface may develop from soluble compounds within the adjacent masonry or in the soil. In the presence of water, these compounds gradually migrate to the wall surface, where they remain when the water evaporates.
Not difficult to repair, but the source should be determined.

What is the construction of the inside walls? Skimmed board or three coat plaster? What is on the other side of the wall you describe?

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gardz peel stop