Hardwood Floors - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 11-16-2012, 08:05 AM   #1
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 265
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hardwood Floors

I usually don't get into re-finishing harwood floors if I don't have to. (Not glorious work). However, what type of clear coat do you prefer using ?
Also, If you were doing a complete re-paint as well, would you prefer to do the floors first or last? Thoughts?
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 08:56 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I like ZAR UltraMax. Floors last usually.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:03 AM   #3
Dry as Rye

Rewards Points: 340
View Csheils's Photo Album My Photos

Floors last. If they were stair treads that were raw, I'd say stain them and then at least a single topcoat before breaking into paint. If they're being refinished, floors last and expect to touch up the base.
Csheils is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 572
View mpminter's Photo Album My Photos

Some of the most durable finished on the market these days are the waterborne floor finishes. I did the floors in my house with a product called Street Shoe by Basic Coatings and i have been blown away. You can recoat this stuff in half an hour and after a year, the durability is outstanding. The only issue is that it isn't cheap. I think I spend something like $80/gallon for this stuff. There are other good waterborne finishes out there by Bona and I think a couple other places too, but according to my research Street Shoe was the top of the food chain.

There are also moisture cure finishes out there that are as good or better, but the smell from these products is horrific. I have heard of people opening jars in the refrigerator after their floors were done and they said they could smell the finish in the jar. Nasty stuff.
mpminter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #5
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 265
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Great stuff guys. Floors are being re-finished, so I'm assuming a modest amount of sanding should be done on them first, so I don't kick a bunch of dust on my finished walls...Maybe a first coat too. Finish the ceiling, walls, etc. then final coat(s) on floors.
If floors were a type of Varnish before, would you trust one of those acrylic products over that?
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:27 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,754
Thanked 2,064 Times in 1,356 Posts
View mudbone's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpminter View Post
Some of the most durable finished on the market these days are the waterborne floor finishes. I did the floors in my house with a product called Street Shoe by Basic Coatings and i have been blown away. You can recoat this stuff in half an hour and after a year, the durability is outstanding. The only issue is that it isn't cheap. I think I spend something like $80/gallon for this stuff. There are other good waterborne finishes out there by Bona and I think a couple other places too, but according to my research Street Shoe was the top of the food chain.

There are also moisture cure finishes out there that are as good or better, but the smell from these products is horrific. I have heard of people opening jars in the refrigerator after their floors were done and they said they could smell the finish in the jar. Nasty stuff.
Not bad money if it performs like stated. You'll pay that much for a gal of Minwax at SW.
mudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

ZAR Ultramax is 60 or so. Lenmar makes a nice alkyd for 30ish, waay better than minwax.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None