Hatbanding issue- cant figure out cause - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree36Likes

Old 07-03-2019, 02:25 AM   #1
PPD
Girl Boss

Rewards Points: 78
View PPD's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hatbanding issue- cant figure out cause

Working a base coat for straie finish (12x15 room) n having HORRID picture framing.

Its aurora satin, cutting w/ 3 picasso angle sash (still has clean cut tips). Normal method: 3-4 cut in w/ heavy feathering, overlap corner bridge to avoid double cutting, roll out & back tip the top edge.

l may be able to compensate with metallic layer & could add more extender to play it safe but am kinda stressing over starting it. Its gotta be single pass & theres no way to miss the sheen difference if it happens.

Its started getting hot around these parts but the humidity & temp in the house is spot on so the weather shouldnt be altering that much should it?

Maybe I should check the mud humidity n see if it was completed too hastily n the under layers still have residual moisture? ...Im at a loss, thoughts or advice?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Perfectly Painted Designs

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Diego, CA
PPD is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #2
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,119
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Are you saying you only did 1 cut? And 2 rolls? If it's only 1 room, I would just do another full coat.. The one thing with Aura, is you have to make sure to stir and box your paint well. And constantly mix your paint in your cut can and tray. It likes to separate especially in the darker tones..Good luck!
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:32 AM   #3
RH

Rewards Points: 10,266
Thanked 15,362 Times in 8,047 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

For what they want for Aura, that stuff should be able to put itself on a wall - flawlessly.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2019, 11:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,552
View Lightningboy65's Photo Album My Photos

I prefer to call it top hatting....I'm always looking for a reason to evoke honest Abe's spirit. Especially so close to the Fourth!
Lightningboy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,752
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
For what they want for Aura, that stuff should be able to put itself on a wall - flawlessly.
I agree 100%..Their top paint is really Regal Select.

Aura is more difficult to apply than BEHR PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA and that's a coating most painters run away from.

No doubt that Behr PPU and Aura are tough as nails but ease of application is a huge factor when choosing a paint.
monarchski likes this.

Last edited by Mr Smith; 07-03-2019 at 11:55 AM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 10,266
Thanked 15,362 Times in 8,047 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post

Aura is more difficult to apply than BEHR PREMIUM PLUS ULTRA and that's a coating most painters run away from.

No doubt that Behr PPU and Aura are tough as nails but ease of application is a huge factor when choosing a paint.
I recently had occasion to use both, in the same house. Aura was nice to work with IMO, I suspect it is far more forgiving on textured surfaces than on smooth. Covered well but I still did two coats. However should I ever need to do a bright red or orange, I will strongly recommend it.

The Regal was a decent paint but seemed a little thin with a tendency to run a bit. Nothing serious, just needed a skosh more care. But both were considerably more than Miller Acro or SW Duration, the products I usually recommend.
PPD likes this.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
PPD (07-06-2019)
Old 07-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,752
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I recently had occasion to use both, in the same house. Aura was nice to work with IMO, I suspect it is far more forgiving on textured surfaces than on smooth. Covered well but I still did two coats. However should I ever need to do a bright red or orange, I will strongly recommend it.

The Regal was a decent paint but seemed a little thin with a tendency to run a bit. Nothing serious, just needed a skosh more care. But both were considerably more than Miller Acro or SW Duration, the products I usually recommend.
I use Regal mainly for brushing trim. I add some BM extender and it brushes like butter. I have used the Regal matte a few times without issue. I had zero runs.

Next job is spec'd for regal eggshell. I'll let you know how that turns out. It's for a $2M house but the color is Cloud White
OC-130. I bid three coats just in case it doesn't cover over the dark colors.

The paint I love to use for prepping homes for sale is BM Ultra Spec 500. It's so easy to apply and is the best looking low sheen i've ever seen. If it was more durable that would be my go-to paint. The only downside is that it doesn't spread that far compared to most paints, so it's actual cost per square foot is similar to BEN.
PPD likes this.
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:38 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

did you roll after the cut dried like you are supposed to?

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2019, 10:07 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,080
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I've noticed that colors with a lot of tint in them are more prone to hatband. Darker beiges usually. Like it was right on the edge of needing a deeper base or something.
canopainting, Holland and PPD like this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:22 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,246
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD View Post
Working a base coat for straie finish (12x15 room) n having HORRID picture framing.

Its aurora satin, cutting w/ 3” picasso angle sash (still has clean cut tips). Normal method: 3-4” cut in w/ heavy feathering, overlap corner bridge to avoid double cutting, roll out & back tip the top edge.

l may be able to compensate with metallic layer & could add more extender to play it safe but am kinda stressing over starting it. Its gotta be single pass & theres no way to miss the sheen difference if it happens.

Its started getting hot around these parts but the humidity & temp in the house is spot on so the weather shouldn’t be altering that much should it?

Maybe I should check the mud humidity n see if it was completed too hastily n the under layers still have residual moisture? ...I’m at a loss, thoughts or advice?

What color is it tinted? Which roller cover?
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 12:41 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,246
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post

Funny I was on a jobsite with a HO spraying and backroll 60 gallons aura matte with an older graco x7. Looks like any other professional job (better than many in fact) I have been on. one wall I was concerned with had large windows opening on to a 20x20 wall. Came out looking great. Even the ceiling came out good. No issues anywhere really.

Strange that HO's are putting this stuff on perfect but pro's are having issues.
store021 likes this.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 07-05-2019 at 12:59 AM..
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #12
PPD
Girl Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Are you saying you only did 1 cut? And 2 rolls? If it's only 1 room, I would just do another full coat.. The one thing with Aura, is you have to make sure to stir and box your paint well. And constantly mix your paint in your cut can and tray. It likes to separate especially in the darker tones..Good luck!

Oh sorry no- I cut 2x by the end...always do 2 coats unless its a distressed age finish on something like trim or cabinet/furniture.

Its a darker color...based on the replied Im thinkin that is prolly a major factor. Im goin back tomorrow when the property will be empty of carpenters to apply a thin 3rd to see if I can get rid of the hat banding before straie layer. Ill be sure to over-mix & see if that solves it!

San Diego, CA
Old 07-06-2019, 04:15 PM   #13
PPD
Girl Boss

Quote:

Agreed!

San Diego, CA
Old 07-06-2019, 04:18 PM   #14
PPD
Girl Boss

Quote:

Ive had running issues with the regal as well...first time using it was a cabinet job (HO bought paint) & I had to triple check the spec sheet to be sure Id applied the right film thickness cuz the DT was wayyyy to long for my comfort & I had to clean up a few sags during application.

Have avoided it ever since...but maybe a learning curve I just need to master?

San Diego, CA
Old 07-06-2019, 04:33 PM   #15
PPD
Girl Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
did you roll after the cut dried like you are supposed to?

Of course ;p ...some mentioned the base can be an issue with the darker colors, any thoughts?

I did notice the roll out was drying fast compared to past experience (w/ lighter colors). Thought maybe it was going on thinner than my cut in...may try switching to mohair & see if that eliminates the issue but I need to double check on scrap board first.

San Diego, CA
Old 07-06-2019, 04:34 PM   #16
PPD
Girl Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
I've noticed that colors with a lot of tint in them are more prone to hatband. Darker beiges usually. Like it was right on the edge of needing a deeper base or something.

Ok, this is the first time Ive used the aurora in a dark color too...thank u for that info! I thought I was going mad...

San Diego, CA
Old 07-07-2019, 01:24 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 130
View celicaxx's Photo Album My Photos

In my experience Aura and to a lesser extent Regal (way lesser extent) are more sensitive to surface porosity and environmental conditions than the lower end BM products (Ultra Spec and Ben...) and SW products. On a job I was on, going over early 2000s Regal matte, maybe with the drywall not being primed before the prior painter did it. We went on in a fairly hot/dry house in winter, we had flashing with Aura everywhere, same with the 508 ceiling paint. 508 Ceiling paint was especially bad and I ended up adding 8 or maybe even 12oz Floetrol per gallon to fix it.

I think because the paints are so fast drying, on some surfaces they just never can quite "set" right for lack of a better term. The idea at their first inception was not needing primer or needing to prime bare drywall, and maybe with their initial higher VOC versions this worked, but it's probably not working as well with the 0 VOC versions.

So anyway, besides just not using it, I'd simply just prime all the walls with a decent-ish primer (not cheapo PVA) and just fully seal everything. Part of it could be as well, rolling into wet cuts instead of dry, but doing both in said house with the same flashing issues regardless of technique made me think it was just something like I said, just a weird sensitivity to surface porosity and environmental conditions. With the 508 with no primer adding that boatload of extender fixed the flashing enough to use without priming the surface. I thought it was just the paints were intrinsically bad and sucked, but using 508 with no extender on a current job it's rolling totally fine with no flashing. But, I can say I've rolled out an absolute ton of an SW ceiling paint and never had any flashing issues whatsoever in the slightest with it.
celicaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
Funny I was on a jobsite with a HO spraying and backroll 60 gallons aura matte with an older graco x7. Looks like any other professional job (better than many in fact) I have been on. one wall I was concerned with had large windows opening on to a 20x20 wall. Came out looking great. Even the ceiling came out good. No issues anywhere really.

Strange that HO's are putting this stuff on perfect but pro's are having issues.

That's because you can't buy it at a Sherwin Williams store! You should know that by now!
PPD likes this.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:37 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by celicaxx View Post
In my experience Aura and to a lesser extent Regal (way lesser extent) are more sensitive to surface porosity and environmental conditions than the lower end BM products (Ultra Spec and Ben...) and SW products. On a job I was on, going over early 2000s Regal matte, maybe with the drywall not being primed before the prior painter did it. We went on in a fairly hot/dry house in winter, we had flashing with Aura everywhere, same with the 508 ceiling paint. 508 Ceiling paint was especially bad and I ended up adding 8 or maybe even 12oz Floetrol per gallon to fix it.

I think because the paints are so fast drying, on some surfaces they just never can quite "set" right for lack of a better term. The idea at their first inception was not needing primer or needing to prime bare drywall, and maybe with their initial higher VOC versions this worked, but it's probably not working as well with the 0 VOC versions.

So anyway, besides just not using it, I'd simply just prime all the walls with a decent-ish primer (not cheapo PVA) and just fully seal everything. Part of it could be as well, rolling into wet cuts instead of dry, but doing both in said house with the same flashing issues regardless of technique made me think it was just something like I said, just a weird sensitivity to surface porosity and environmental conditions. With the 508 with no primer adding that boatload of extender fixed the flashing enough to use without priming the surface. I thought it was just the paints were intrinsically bad and sucked, but using 508 with no extender on a current job it's rolling totally fine with no flashing. But, I can say I've rolled out an absolute ton of an SW ceiling paint and never had any flashing issues whatsoever in the slightest with it.
See what i mean?

Old 07-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPD View Post

Its aurora satin, cutting w/ 3 picasso angle sash (still has clean cut tips). Normal method: 3-4 cut in w/ heavy feathering, overlap corner bridge to avoid double cutting, roll out & back tip the top edge.

Its started getting hot around these parts but the humidity & temp in the house is spot on so the weather shouldnt be altering that much should it?

Maybe I should check the mud humidity n see if it was completed too hastily n the under layers still have residual moisture? ...Im at a loss, thoughts or advice?
Just an FYI, my experience in selling paint in San Diego tells me that unlike a lot of areas of the country there can be quite a difference in Temps and humidity depending where you are in the county. It can be 80Deg and 60% humidity in OB and 110deg and 5% in Poway for example. Any paint you use will act differently in this example. (OB-Ocean Beach for you....other people)
If you were in Dallas for example, there isn't going to be any difference in temp and humidity anywhere you are. This is something to keep in mind i guess. A lot of painters i knew there didn't quite understand this principle. Especially when they were using Conversion varnish. What a cluster.
vwbowman likes this.

Tags
None