How would you prep this? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 05-01-2009, 10:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View WAGGZ's Photo Album My Photos
Default How would you prep this?

Alright I'm repainting (changing color) on all the trim in the house. HO bought a bunch of BEHR paint for me to use. Normally I would have a little more input on paint used but this is my father/mother in laws house. My father in law thinks BEHR is the best paint period. I know sad. SO here's my problem years ago the trim was stained/poly real glossy, they decided they wanted it painted, they put that liquid sand stuff on put 2 coats of paint on. IMO it should've been primed after liquid sand. But it looks good for a month and then it gets chipped like crazy. Should I even sand this stuff (it has latex on it now) or just clean it, paint it and hope for the best.

After painting with this crap the last few days I told my wife this is the last job that I won't have some kind of input on what kind of paint is used.
WAGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 10:35 AM   #2

View ParagonVA's Photo Album My Photos

you gotta get down to a solid substrate that will accept primer. If you simply clean the existing surface and apply new latex on top, you are only adding to the problem. If it's chipping now, it will continue to chip until you solve the root of the problem. I've seen guys apply the best primers over a similar situation, and it just continues to peel because the original paint is still on an unstable surface.

I know you probably don't want to get into strippers, (well, the chemical kind anyway-not the chicks), so see how it sands down. Usually if it's bad, it can sand off pretty easily and you'll be roughing up the old poly at the same time. I would then apply an odorless oil-base primer and test it to see if it'll stick, (it normally does). If not, you'll have to go with an alcohol base like BIN or XIM. There might also be another type of bonding primer you can try that is designed for your situation. Anyone try these?
Old 05-02-2009, 10:52 PM   #3

I figured that was what needed to be done. But my father in law is tighter than bark on a tree. He would just rather touch up every so often then spend the money to have it done right. Whats sad is its a great house, its the oldest in town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2009, 11:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
View cande's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with Paragon. We just did a church w/ really glossy poly and we sanded a little and used Coverstain and it was fine, but man that stuff stinks.
cande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:33 AM   #5
old enough?

Rewards Points: 79
View admirableptg's Photo Album My Photos

dont use the behr and go and buy your own product. why help push a crap product when there is a paint store on every other corner that knows paint.. then prep the house
admirableptg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:50 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by admirableptg View Post
dont use the behr and go and buy your own product. why help push a crap product when there is a paint store on every other corner that knows paint.. then prep the house

Totally agree, I use SW and when requested use BM. Him wanting to use BEHR probably has more to do with having to admit I'm right . If it was tinted I was gonna get SW to color match it clean take off the label and continue painting...to bad its white. Soooo pretty much gonna suck it up on the trim and deal with it. He is thinking about painting his exterior next summer and I'll only do it if I get to pick the paint. That crap falls out of the can like pudding. Key word is falls not flow.
Old 05-03-2009, 06:22 AM   #7
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Just say no
Attached Images

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #8

View ParagonVA's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Just say no
Old 05-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #9

x2
Old 05-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250
View deach's Photo Album My Photos

Although he's your father in law why are you doing it and not him? If the reason you're doing it is because you're professional, then be one. I stopped that stuff long ago. If they call me to do it they pay, and they do it my way or honestly they can get someone else. That's not to say that family/immediate friends that have helped me along the way won't get a better price, but honestly man be professional and stand your ground. If they don't understand then I guess let someone else do it. It only took one of my family members doing that one time and they welcomed me back. You and he are having a power struggle, not a professional painting struggle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by deach View Post
Although he's your father in law why are you doing it and not him? If the reason you're doing it is because you're professional, then be one. I stopped that stuff long ago. If they call me to do it they pay, and they do it my way or honestly they can get someone else. That's not to say that family/immediate friends that have helped me along the way won't get a better price, but honestly man be professional and stand your ground. If they don't understand then I guess let someone else do it. It only took one of my family members doing that one time and they welcomed me back. You and he are having a power struggle, not a professional painting struggle.

I've got to much painted to start over on the interior trim. Plan to switch brands on exterior and a few interior walls.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:50 PM   #12
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 154
Thanked 8,646 Times in 4,035 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Gotta agree with Deach. Or, just dont work for family. Personally, I dont mind doing family work because they know they're going to pay just like anyone else. I might cut them some slack price-wise, but not by much. My natural mother wont hire me anymore because she thinks I'm "too high" and my step-mother doesnt mind paying but she worries about everything. I just treat them like every other customer.
Wolfgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 11:55 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGGZ View Post
I've got to much painted to start over on the interior trim. Plan to switch brands on exterior and a few interior walls.
Way to go. Ya understand if you've got a bunch done already. Good luck to you, you'll do ok on the rest I'm sure.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

My natural mother

Is there any other kind?
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 150
View flowjo's Photo Album My Photos

you charge your mom wtf lol did she charge u when she wiped your ass and changed you? hahaha to each his own i guess
flowjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 04:40 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 1,000
View Last Craftsman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGGZ View Post
Alright I'm repainting (changing color) on all the trim in the house. HO bought a bunch of BEHR paint for me to use...

The quote as I have presented it is exactly where I stopped reading.

I sh*t you not. I just stopped reading it and I am not planning on reading the rest of the post.

Why I bothered to tell everyone, I have no idea. But now you all know.

Last Craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 10:34 AM   #17

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Craftsman View Post
The quote as I have presented it is exactly where I stopped reading.

I sh*t you not. I just stopped reading it and I am not planning on reading the rest of the post.

Why I bothered to tell everyone, I have no idea. But now you all know.

When I grow up I want to be you because after reading your response you are my hero!

WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #18

yeah it was the best reply.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:43 PM   #19

Was pretty good I'll say that...

Old 05-08-2009, 11:38 PM   #20

While coming home from dinner with my in laws. We were talking about painting his exterior and out of the blue he asks, "Is SW better paint than Behr." My answer in 1 word was YES, to which he replied "well let's use that on the exterior." So he's converted and should not be paint problems with this customer/family member in the future.

Tags
None