How would you solve this exterior door problem? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 09-22-2009, 11:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View linkbrothers's Photo Album My Photos
Default How would you solve this exterior door problem?

I have been asked to give advice and quote on a job to repair a botched paint job on three exterior doors. The former paint contractor made the blunder of not priming the oil based painted doors before he sprayed with exterior latex.

The first door problem is that the paint on the main door is bubbling off in the heat of the day. The door has been painted black. No primer was used over existing oil base paint and I believe that the heat of the day on the black paint is causing blistering because of the lack of adhesion to the underlying coat. Am I right?

The second door problem is that exterior latex was applied over an unprimed fiberglass door. The contractor attempted to correct this by repainting with another coat paint - oil base this time. I can take my fingernail and scrape away the paint.

The third door problem is the same as the second door.

So painters ... how best to correct this problem?

My take is that all the paint must be completely removed and then the doors properly primed, followed by an appropriate finish. What to do? Sand it off, use chemicals, heat gun, dip and strip, or some other method?

What is your best advice?

Cheers,
Brandt
linkbrothers is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 500
View WAGGZ's Photo Album My Photos

If it was me I would try to sand it off. If that wasn't working well I would chem strip it. Then prime and paint. Don't know if its the best advice but thats what I would do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I think of a fair price as one that puts my kids through private school and offers value to the homeowner... -Pressure Pros
WAGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 12:31 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 79
View LouLewyLewis's Photo Album My Photos

Have you done the tape test yet ?

How much paint comes off on the tape ?

How old is the paint that is on the door now ? The latex

Is the latex a flat or semi-gloss ?
Proverbs 22:29 says: "Have you beheld a man skillful in his work? Before kings is where he will station himself; he will not station himself before commonplace men." I believe that if you love your customers and do them right, you will never go hungry!
LouLewyLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2009, 11:24 AM   #4

The paint is two months old and is eggshell latex exterior paint. I haven't tried a tape test - good idea. Basically it was bubbling and scraping off quite easily.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:31 AM   #5
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,375 Times in 3,757 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkbrothers View Post
The paint is two months old and is eggshell latex exterior paint. I haven't tried a tape test - good idea. Basically it was bubbling and scraping off quite easily.
obviously the coating failed. What needs to be done is you gotta get that failed coating off and then do it right. Not sure what is complicated about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:27 PM   #6
World Champion

Rewards Points: 150
View HeadHoncho's Photo Album My Photos

Strip 'em down and re-paint properly! Piece of cake.....

HeadHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 270
View IHATE_HOMEDEPOT's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Skype™ to IHATE_HOMEDEPOT

If you could remove them try this, hook a garden hose to a hot water faucet and spray with pressure. Heat is a good lifter when dealing with latex.
IHATE_HOMEDEPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:57 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Rock On

Rewards Points: 1,000
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos

Strip by whichever is more convenient (mechanical or chemical) and properly coat

slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 PM   #10

As it turns out, the HO was fishing for a competitive quote in order to go after the painter who botched the doors. No complaints here because I think he's the person who should be tasked with fixing these. I just wish the HO would have been more honest with his intentions. I don't mind helping a guy out.
Old 10-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
As it turns out, the HO was fishing for a competitive quote in order to go after the painter who botched the doors. No complaints here because I think he's the person who should be tasked with fixing these. I just wish the HO would have been more honest with his intentions. I don't mind helping a guy out.
Thanks for the update. So many times over and over the OP asks a question and never returns to the forum or thread.

Yeah that is always questionable tactics but pretty common.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 02:23 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 25
View Benson Painting's Photo Album My Photos

Don't you love FREE ESTIMATES!
Benson Painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #13
oldschool

View oldschool's Photo Album My Photos

i don't think i would turn the hose on the doors. definitely remove all the old finish whether it is adhered or not. the places that are adhered today will eventually come loose. sand or use lacquer thinner to remove the finish. then you can prime and finish coat.
oldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #14

View SCpaintrep's Photo Album My Photos

Since the chain is only as strong as it's weakest link, stripping all the way down to the substrate is the ideal beginning. Then using a proper system of products will serve you and the HO best. If the HO is wise, they will value your expertise and honesty as well as the finished work.
SCpaintrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 11:30 PM   #15

View paintmedic's Photo Album My Photos
Default late reply

A little late on this thread but here I go!

Quote:
I have been asked to give advice and quote on a job to repair a botched paint job on three exterior doors. The former paint contractor made the blunder of not priming the oil based painted doors before he sprayed with exterior latex.

The first door problem is that the paint on the main door is bubbling off in the heat of the day. The door has been painted black. No primer was used over existing oil base paint and I believe that the heat of the day on the black paint is causing blistering because of the lack of adhesion to the underlying coat. Am I right?
My question would be: is the coating going to bare surface or only to the previous coating. If you are only peeling to the previous coating then yes, you have a problem with adhesion.

I could probably guess then that the previous coating has some sort of gloss on it that won't take the next layer.

Quote:
The second door problem is that exterior latex was applied over an unprimed fiberglass door.
Fiberglass should be primed with an adhesion promoting or bonding primer.

Quote:
The contractor attempted to correct this by repainting with another coat paint - oil base this time. I can take my fingernail and scrape away the paint.
The rule of thumb is never, never, ever paint over latex paint with an oil based paint. Latex has much more flexibility than an oil based paint has therefore cracking and peeling can occur.

Quote:

My take is that all the paint must be completely removed and then the doors properly primed, followed by an appropriate finish. What to do? Sand it off, use chemicals, heat gun, dip and strip, or some other method?

Cheers,
Brandt
I would say your best bet is to get down to bare and start over again. People never want to hear the story I give them that causes them to do more work but in most cases when there is incorrect or no priming, or the use of inappropriate product has occurred, it is only time until failure of product comes.

I suggest using a chemical stripper since it works very quickly. Check to see safety concerns with fiberglass in that most strippers will eat into the fiberglass if it sits too long.

Here is an article I found with someone that had a similar problem.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/askt...054369,00.html
paintmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:02 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 156
View Formulator's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:

The second door problem is that exterior latex was applied over an unprimed fiberglass door. The contractor attempted to correct this by repainting with another coat paint - oil base this time. I can take my fingernail and scrape away the paint.

Cheers,
Brandt

Also be careful about painting something big and metal a dark color in the heat of the day. It will get HOT. We have seen failures where a dark color painted over a plastic surface will actually cause the piece to melt. There are exothermic reactions going on + heat from the sun = bad for paint.
Formulator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None