Hydraulic Oil On Cedar - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 02-02-2015, 10:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 158
View CobraCDN's Photo Album My Photos
Default Hydraulic Oil On Cedar

Well here is a new one n me, have a guy with a cedar fence, boards are raw, and some town equipment rolled by it with a hydraulic leak leaving it oil soaked on the bottom 12"s . Anyone have any idea how we could clean it before staining it this summer? Fence was built last summer and is wintering raw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
CobraCDN is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2015, 11:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 60
View Stonehampaintdept's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCDN View Post
Well here is a new one n me, have a guy with a cedar fence, boards are raw, and some town equipment rolled by it with a hydraulic leak leaving it oil soaked on the bottom 12"s . Anyone have any idea how we could clean it before staining it this summer? Fence was built last summer and is wintering raw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
This is going to be a PITA me thinks. Is it say a 4-8' section that can be replaced easily without any headaches from trying to coat it? If no then start with pressure wash and a heavy duty degreaser. Hydrogen peroxide maybe for set in stains, it works better for living / organic material but may be worth a shot.
Stonehampaintdept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 158
View CobraCDN's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks, it's actually 6' H x 150' long. A hell of a lot of fence. They may have not much choice but to pick a dark stain for it now. Thanks for the ideas, we'll try them on a test section in the spring.
CobraCDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2015, 11:48 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 5,230
Thanked 4,521 Times in 2,495 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraCDN View Post
Thanks, it's actually 6' H x 150' long. A hell of a lot of fence. They may have not much choice but to pick a dark stain for it now. Thanks for the ideas, we'll try them on a test section in the spring.
I'd be more concerned about whether whatever you're going to put on it will stay there with hydraulic fluid present as opposed to the colour. I think what Stonehampaint was getting at for dimensions was if just one little section of the fence got this stuff on it, might be a consideration to buy some lumber and replace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 36
View JourneymanBrian's Photo Album My Photos

As a degreaser ammonium hydroxide (ammonia) is very effective. It will react with the oil to destroy it.

Dont take it to strong though, thicken it with wallpaper paste and let it sit a bit.

As a Warning, however, if too strong it can destroy the lignin as well yielding greyed spots. This is not as much of a problem withe everegreens as with hardwood, though.

Last edited by JourneymanBrian; 03-16-2015 at 08:54 PM..
JourneymanBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JourneymanBrian For This Useful Post:
Mike2coat (03-30-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 09:31 PM   #6
CRS

Rewards Points: 166
View CRS's Photo Album My Photos
Default Removing oil from wood

Sodium metasilicate, then pressure wash. Might require a couple of applications. SMS is the best oil remover out there. It's a great solution for removing oil leaks on driveways. Same concept. You could boost it with a good oil loving/water soluable surfactant.... i.e. "dawn" off the shelf.

SMS is high PH (PH 10) so you would have to neutralize the wood before applying any wood finish.

Good luck, sounds like a fun challenge.
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CRS For This Useful Post:
Damon T (03-16-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 11:06 PM   #7
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,729 Times in 1,600 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

CRS
What are some of the brand names SMS is sold under? How would I find it?
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None