kilz max!!! - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 06-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
View smakmauz's Photo Album My Photos
Default kilz max!!!

So I have always been all about oil and shellac for really sealing up wood and for its sandability. I decided to try the kilz max after reading a bit about it here on another thread and boy am I glad I did.

I did a little playing around with it this afternoon in my shop and here's just a couple of my findings.

First off.. it doesn't penetrate quite as well as oil but it sticks so well, I don't think it needs to.

I tried it first on just a chunk of 2x4. It brushed on pretty nice and actually levels out really nice which surprised me because its heavy bodied. I let it dry about an hour and then took my random orbit sander with a 120grit disc and went to town on it and NO GUMMING!!! Usually water based (or oil sometimes) gums right up under the load of a sander. Impressed so far.

Next I brushed a little bit onto a scrap of lexan which if you're not familiar with, its basically a higher grade of Plexiglas made from polycarbonate. The stuff they make bullet proof glass from. Very smooth and glossy. It stuck pretty damn good with no sanding or etching. I can scratch it off with my nail but still pretty impressive for a water based product from a box store.

Next thing I did was to prime a plywood panel for my built in cabinet that I'm building for my laundry room. Put it on pretty heavy, waited an hour, and took the sander to it again. Sanded great again. Powder.

Still putting it through the ringer but so far I'm in love. I've put some on a nice fresh fall off of a cedar deck board. Still gotta see how thats gonna go. But even without the stain blocking I would still use this product as a main go to for sure. Here's a couple pics.

kilz max!!!-forumrunner_20130609_183211.jpg

kilz max!!!-forumrunner_20130609_183238.jpg

Powder from the sanding bag!

kilz max!!!-forumrunner_20130609_183310.jpg

Clean sandpaper!

kilz max!!!-forumrunner_20130609_183330.jpg
Powder on the glove from the panel

Sorry about the sideways pics...took them with my android and I guess I can't flip the orientation in the android app.

Last edited by smakmauz; 06-09-2013 at 10:07 PM..
smakmauz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smakmauz For This Useful Post:
deluxe (06-09-2013), playedout6 (06-10-2013)

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 09:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 79
View deluxe's Photo Album My Photos

good to know. Thanks. Will give it a go myself
deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deluxe For This Useful Post:
smakmauz (06-10-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 502
View South-FL-Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Thank you for a feedback.I will give it a shot too.
South-FL-Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to South-FL-Painter For This Useful Post:
smakmauz (06-10-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,658
Thanked 6,792 Times in 4,040 Posts
View ewingpainting.net's Photo Album My Photos

What would you use it for?

ewingpainting.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
What would you use it for?

priming things
Old 06-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakmauz View Post

priming things
Priming for kilz top coats?

The Following User Says Thank You to ewingpainting.net For This Useful Post:
ProWallGuy (06-11-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 10:32 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
priming things
What types of things? The Lexan did not take.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewingpainting.net View Post
Priming for kilz top coats?

No...what exactly are you trying to get at. come out with it instead of beating around the bush. I have no patients for passive aggressive behavior.
The Following User Says Thank You to smakmauz For This Useful Post:
Delta Painting (06-10-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 11:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
What types of things? The Lexan did not take.

all types of things. cabinets, brick, cinder, spot priming repairs, putty, I think its just great to have a water based product that you can use to level wood grain if you want a really smooth top coat.

The lexan test was just that. I wasn't actually expecting it to stick. but how hard a I have to scrape with my finger nail gives an idea of its adhesion power. Most products fail that test with the exception of shellac. shellac does fairly well. you can still scratch it off but it takes a LOT more pressure.
The Following User Says Thank You to smakmauz For This Useful Post:
Workaholic (06-09-2013)
Old 06-09-2013, 11:59 PM   #10

Quote:
all types of things. cabinets, brick, cinder, spot priming repairs, putty, I think its just great to have a water based product that you can use to level wood grain if you want a really smooth top coat.

The lexan test was just that. I wasn't actually expecting it to stick. but how hard a I have to scrape with my finger nail gives an idea of its adhesion power. Most products fail that test with the exception of shellac. shellac does fairly well. you can still scratch it off but it takes a LOT more pressure.
Thanks Was curious to your needs and expectations for the product. I have not used that particular product but have used other kilz wb in the past.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:49 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic View Post
Thanks Was curious to your needs and expectations for the product. I have not used that particular product but have used other kilz wb in the past.
I have used the kilz 2 which in my opinion is only worth the can they put it in but I like the regular oil based kilz and the odorless ok. Not my favorite but good enough in a pinch. Haven't tried the premium or that other oil based one but I'm sure they're probably ok. z-prime plus is my favorite oil but it can be hard to find...at least here in seattle.

This kilz max uses a water based epoxy resin as opposed to alkyd or acrylic or the hybrids which I thought was interesting. I think SW has something like that in their industrial line but I'm sure its a lot more expensive.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #12
still in the bucket

Rewards Points: 500
View cdaniels's Photo Album My Photos

Have you tried it over stains?Kilz2 is about worthless as a stain killer just wondering how this would work.
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdaniels View Post
Have you tried it over stains?Kilz2 is about worthless as a stain killer just wondering how this would work.
I haven't really put it through the ringer on stains yet but I did put some on some tanic cedar with some pretty promising results. Not sure on it yet though ....I have to put it outside and let it get some weather to see if it will bleed.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:07 PM   #14

Quote:
I have used the kilz 2 which in my opinion is only worth the can they put it in but I like the regular oil based kilz and the odorless ok. Not my favorite but good enough in a pinch. Haven't tried the premium or that other oil based one but I'm sure they're probably ok. z-prime plus is my favorite oil but it can be hard to find...at least here in seattle.

This kilz max uses a water based epoxy resin as opposed to alkyd or acrylic or the hybrids which I thought was interesting. I think SW has something like that in their industrial line but I'm sure its a lot more expensive.
About the only kilz I use is the oil but have tried the kilz2 and the kilz pro-x, maybe I will give this one a shot some time.
Old 06-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #15

Yeah, I hadn't used kilz in a really long time because I found the z-prime and bin for all my priming needs but I decided to give this one a shot and I'm glad i did. Using it again today on some metal flex conduit and it stuck really well. Brushed on like oil
Old 06-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #16

Quote:

No...what exactly are you trying to get at. come out with it instead of beating around the bush. I have no patients for passive aggressive behavior.
Define passive aggressive?

Usually coatings are designed to go over their own primers. Note the product data pages for recommended primers. I'm just trying to figure out why you would need to go around that. Most manufactures have primers that have the same results as you have mentioned about killz. Typically the painter goes outside of the specification over a couple of bucks

No biggie didn't mean to test your patience.

Last edited by ewingpainting.net; 06-10-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Old 06-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #17

manufacturer specs huh... If you believe what the manufacturers tell you, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell you

none of the paint companies around have anything like this stuff. try to sand most latex primer with a sander and it gums up the paper almost instantly. I'd like to see if you could recommend a couple to compare that don't come from sherwin williams. I'd be happy to try them out.

If you wanna stick with one brand for your paints and primers, be my guest but I like to leave my options open for better products.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:15 PM   #18

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
manufacturer specs huh... If you believe what the manufacturers tell you, I've got a bridge in Brooklyn that I'd like to sell you

none of the paint companies around have anything like this stuff. try to sand most latex primer with a sander and it gums up the paper almost instantly. I'd like to see if you could recommend a couple to compare that don't come from sherwin williams. I'd be happy to try them out.

If you wanna stick with one brand for your paints and primers, be my guest but I like to leave my options open for better products.
Relax there cowboy.... There are plenty of wb primers out there that powder up nicely.

Pat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
Damon T (06-11-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 09:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsPainting View Post
Relax there cowboy.... There are plenty of wb primers out there that powder up nicely.

Pat
Examples? Please? Pretty Please?

I'm looking for the all in one package that I have recently enjoyed with this kilz max. dries fast, durable, brushes out nice, great adhesion, great hide, nice flat finish for the top coat to stick to, sands beautifully.

I'm not saying there isn't something else out there like this but if there is, I haven't found it.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:25 PM   #20

Rewards Points: 2,030
Thanked 2,924 Times in 1,541 Posts
View PatsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Examples? Please? Pretty Please?

I'm looking for the all in one package that I have recently enjoyed with this kilz max. dries fast, durable, brushes out nice, great adhesion, great hide, nice flat finish for the top coat to stick to, sands beautifully.

I'm not saying there isn't something else out there like this but if there is, I haven't found it.
Post 55 of this thread is one - it might not dry as fast as others but it's a beauty of a primer.

Pat

PatsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PatsPainting For This Useful Post:
smakmauz (06-10-2013)

Tags
None