Krud Kutter Gloss Off - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 11-12-2015, 07:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View lovasnj's Photo Album My Photos
Default Krud Kutter Gloss Off

I have always washed and sanded trim before painting and I have never used a deglosser. I have a bunch of interior maple windows, doors and trim that are pretty ornate. I would love to use a deglosser and skip the sanding but I am hesitant to do so.

Krud Kutter Gloss Off states that after ten minutes you are good to go and can apply paint up to a week later. I am skeptical. I was hoping for feedback from those of you who have experience with this product or other deglossers. I figure it's a no go but I am hoping that everyone will say otherwise .

Thanks.

Nate

Last edited by lovasnj; 11-12-2015 at 08:04 PM..
lovasnj is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2015, 08:02 PM   #2
RH

Rewards Points: 10,396
Thanked 15,369 Times in 8,053 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I like to use it when cleaning trim, doors, and cabinets for repainting. But I use it in addition to sanding, not in place of.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
johnnyb (11-14-2015), lovasnj (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 08:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Krud Kutter Gloss Off

I used it on the last set of cabinets in lieu of sanding and it worked fine. That was with Breakthrough though. Actually, it didn't really dull the gloss very much. Based on that, not sure I would trust it alone with a product/substrate that required complete de glossing.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
lovasnj (11-13-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2015, 09:20 PM   #4
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 4
Thanked 5,141 Times in 2,799 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos

When I use it on oil trim enamel, I could not see a real change in sheen either. It does not make me trust it. I will use solvent Will-bond as an extra insurance step after a normal clean and sand on cabinets. We have one laundry room cabinet we just did that must have had laundry soap spilled on it for a while. The end grain of the cabinet edge must have been saturated with it for awhile. Another area would not clean well either. Used regular Krud Kutter on that for the clean and a solvent wipe and rattle canned the spots with BIN.
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
lovasnj (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 09:41 PM   #5
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 225
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovasnj View Post
I have always washed and sanded trim before painting and I have never used a deglosser. I have a bunch of interior maple windows, doors and trim that are pretty ornate. I would love to use a deglosser and skip the sanding but I am hesitant to do so.

Krud Kutter Gloss Off states that after ten minutes you are good to go and can apply paint up to a week later. I am skeptical. I was hoping for feedback from those of you who have experience with this product or other deglossers. I figure it's a no go but I am hoping that everyone will say otherwise .

Thanks.

Nate

Is that a cleaner as well? what about deglossing and then just spot sanding around door handle area's where finger nails are going to hit.. with a good primer like Stix or similar there shouldn't be much of an issue with other area's. Maybe window sill too..
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finishesbykevyn For This Useful Post:
lovasnj (11-13-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 10:30 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 286
Thanked 1,024 Times in 634 Posts
View I paint paint's Photo Album My Photos

Here is the latest shortcut:

http://www.latexagent.com/oil-bond.html

I have a feeling your mileage will vary.

(Seems to always be the case with painting shortcuts in my experience.)
I paint paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I paint paint For This Useful Post:
lovasnj (11-13-2015), PRC (12-06-2015)
Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 197
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Gloss Off has worked well for me, but different substrates and coating will have different results.

You should try an adhesion test. Clean a small area with Gloss Off and spot prime that area. If it passes the finger nail test you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW Painter For This Useful Post:
lovasnj (11-13-2015)
Old 11-14-2015, 01:43 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 372
View beedoola's Photo Album My Photos

Rustolem owns Krud Kutter and Zinnser. I spoke with them a few days ago regarding using 123 on varnished trim. I ask them about using TSP to prep the surface before using 123 (I've read, I think on this site, that the 123 can says not to use TSP), and they suggested using a KK product. Obviously one could infer they're just saying that to buy more of their products, but the rep told me the KK stuff doesn't leave a residue like TSP can.

I used KK products, like others, to clean and then sand or prime , never to use clean and then paint.
beedoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:44 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 800
View 804 Paint's Photo Album My Photos

I would have to say there is a difference in gloss once KK Gloss Off has been applied. I apply it with a ScotchBrite so maybe that's why I get a sheen difference, but still. I don't know that I would consider anything "no rinse" though. Even after wiping off the KK, I used a rinse rag and the rinse water got brown pretty quickly. If I hadn't rinsed all that crap still would be on the substrate.

Here are two pics…one KK'd and rinsed, the other not...same finish, same angle. Obviously the light is reflecting much more brightly in one versus the other.
804 Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 804 Paint View Post
I would have to say there is a difference in gloss once KK Gloss Off has been applied. I apply it with a ScotchBrite so maybe that's why I get a sheen difference, but still. I don't know that I would consider anything "no rinse" though. Even after wiping off the KK, I used a rinse rag and the rinse water got brown pretty quickly. If I hadn't rinsed all that crap still would be on the substrate.

Here are two pics…one KK'd and rinsed, the other not...same finish, same angle. Obviously the light is reflecting much more brightly in one versus the other.

Krud Kutter Gloss Off-imageuploadedbypainttalk.com1449413118.156029.jpgKrud Kutter Gloss Off-imageuploadedbypainttalk.com1449413128.822253.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com
The Following User Says Thank You to 804 Paint For This Useful Post:
lovasnj (12-06-2015)
Old 12-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,024
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

gloss off will dull latex finishes not lacquer or solvent. Its essentially the same as using original krud kutter straight.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 02:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCalifornia View Post
gloss off will dull latex finishes not lacquer or solvent. Its essentially the same as using original krud kutter straight.

Well, that's a solvent finish in the pics above...

Sent from my iPhone using PaintTalk.com

Tags
None