Level 5 - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 04-21-2013, 06:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 354
View propainterJ's Photo Album My Photos
Default Level 5

I bid this job off blueprints,it's a remodeled building becoming a dentist office for children.

On the pland all it says anywhere about paint is semi-gloss on all drywalled walls,medium texture.

Well now the job is starting next Wed,and I find out all the drywall walls are perfectly smooth,no texture,I submit a bid to spray Prep Coat at GCs request,then he tells me I'm a couple hundred cheaper on that then the drywall guy,but he's gonna let the Drywall guy spray the texture,causae he whined about what I might do to the walls with prep coat.

I was too busy really to even want to spray the Prep Coat anyway,but now I'm ticked that I'm doin level 5 walls,with nothing stated about it on the plans,plus theres like 16 total colors inside n out,and agaain,nothing about that on the plans

In fact the plans make no mention of there even being exterior painting,let alone the whole building being re dashed and in need of Masonry Primer and then Acrylic over that in like 8 different colors

Anyway I'm seeking advice on how to do these smooth ss walls and in 2 products,I have to do the top half of each wall in Eggshell with Semi on the bottom in like 9 colors.

I'm really tempted to drop this GC over this,this is BS and I'm too busy.

I'll either have to hire guys,which I really dont want to do,or turn down a bunch of work from regulars just to do this damn dentist office,which is located 50 miles away btw,I wish I'd said no when he asked if I was interested.
propainterJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 07:02 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,056
Thanked 1,006 Times in 639 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

first off, take a breath....There that's better.

The prep coat is a wall sealer before texture. You just stated the GC is going to let the drywaller spray prep coat before texture, even though you were slightly cheaper. Makes sense, he will own those walls now. When he is done, you will then prime the texture, make sure to use a good enamel undercoat, not a wall surfacer like pva or high build. Coat as per plans with the semi.

As for the exterior, if there is no mention of paint on it, then that will become a change order for you as an addition to your contract. Don't let this stuff stress you out, it's the way commercial work is done. The GC starts off with a good size view of the job, as the work starts the details become clearer. Changes, additions, and subtractions will be needed. Now, if you did not read the plans thoroughly and the exterior work is on them, all you can hope for is your submital clearly states that no exterior work is included. Otherwise, you will have to suck it up and take care of it.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MikeCalifornia For This Useful Post:
Bender (04-21-2013), Delta Painting (04-22-2013), RCP (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 8
Thanked 3,481 Times in 1,798 Posts
View Bender's Photo Album My Photos

And don't doubt for a minute that if this stuff isn't on the plans the GC is fully expecting you to charge extra for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Just a good reminder here to know the full scope of the work before hand.

I've seen guys think/assume certain things first and come to find out it isn't what they had "expected", having to eat the work or just work harder than they'd "imagined".

Next time in your contract you should state something like "work to be done on: textured walls/hand troweled, etc. etc. etc." or whatever your normally do.

That way if the GC tries to force you to do whatever you "stated" you can tell him that you "STATED" it was textured/hand troweled, NOT smooth wall.

I know a lot of GCs that will pull stuff like this, trying to operate under the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Trying to get away with more work for the same amount of money. Just think worse case scenario and always have a weasel clause for yourself.

In my contract I have that change orders null and void time for completion, unless stated otherwise. So if we say it will take 3 months to do something or whatever, if there's a change order signed, they can't hold our feet to the fire for the completion date.

Good luck!
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 12:22 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodcoyote View Post
Just a good reminder here to know the full scope of the work before hand.

I've seen guys think/assume certain things first and come to find out it isn't what they had "expected", having to eat the work or just work harder than they'd "imagined".

Next time in your contract you should state something like "work to be done on: textured walls/hand troweled, etc. etc. etc." or whatever your normally do.

That way if the GC tries to force you to do whatever you "stated" you can tell him that you "STATED" it was textured/hand troweled, NOT smooth wall.

I know a lot of GCs that will pull stuff like this, trying to operate under the "don't ask, don't tell" policy. Trying to get away with more work for the same amount of money. Just think worse case scenario and always have a weasel clause for yourself.

In my contract I have that change orders null and void time for completion, unless stated otherwise. So if we say it will take 3 months to do something or whatever, if there's a change order signed, they can't hold our feet to the fire for the completion date.

Good luck!
Yea,exactly,how can I know the full scope when it's not in the plans,the plans called for medium TEXTURE,these walls and ceilings are "wannabe" smooth

But I can still see the tape marks on these ceilings,the Drywall guy did the prep coat spraying Friday,yet I was inthere yesterday and theres balls of **** on the walls,I can see tae marks in every ceiling,and the walls are rough as cobbs all over the place.

THis things gonna be a nightmare,the builder has now left it up to me to fix the walls,he gives the drywall guy the prep coat over me,the drywall guy has screwed that all up,now I get to fix it.

Of course it's an extra,thats good,buy now the Builders trying to rush me to do the exterior,all re-dashed,I put a PH test on it and it reacted high PH,so theyre gonna have to wait for that,anyway,thanks for listening and any thoughts,I'm gonna get some pics up in here soon.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,056
Thanked 1,006 Times in 639 Posts
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

I wouldn't do anything until it is fixed to an acceptable surface. If you start you will own it.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:49 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
View clermontpainting's Photo Album My Photos

i would have the drywall guy fix it before i started. it could turn into a nightmare for you
clermontpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 AM   #8

They fired the drywall guy,I guess,anyway,it's my mess now,day and a half with pole sanders,prep coat,walls and ceilings are looking much better.

Now for the colors these people want oi vey,they're picking every neon non covering bright ass pink,green,red,orange,and adding more.

Sending in my first change order invoice right now,1st theyre paying me my original estimate for prep coat,plus an upgrade for fixin drywall guys work

Next gonna send another for making me use 20 or so different colors,with well over half of those being the most non-covering colors known to man.

Looks like my original est going to be bumped about 45%

Wish me luck/these people are crazy!!!

Tags
None