Light color cedar siding stain? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 03-08-2016, 10:45 PM   #1

View meatcleaver's Photo Album My Photos
Default Light color cedar siding stain?

I have a client who has a house with cedar siding. They want the house stained with a solid color stain but they want it a light color. Something in the cream or almond tones. The color of the wood right now is that traditional cedar brown color. Looks like its always had transparent stain on it. Is there any negative aspects to staining cedar a light color like cream? Most of the siding is in fair shape but on one end I will have to replace some of it. I know it will have to be washed very well. I just don't have much experience with cedar. Will it be possible to make this look good?
meatcleaver is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 05:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 100
View PremierPaintingMa's Photo Album My Photos

You should have no problem is you use a full coat of tinted oil primer then use a Waterborner solid stain.

Last edited by PremierPaintingMa; 03-09-2016 at 05:08 AM..
PremierPaintingMa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PremierPaintingMa For This Useful Post:
PRC (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 01:44 PM   #3

View meatcleaver's Photo Album My Photos

What is waterborner stain? Is it water based or oil? Does the primer or stain need to be sprayed? Thanks for the help
meatcleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2016, 02:16 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,392
View Boco's Photo Album My Photos

I always like to spray and brush my first coat of Woodscapes or Arborcoat. Second coat can be sprayed. In my area everyone is shying away from oil primer (VOC laws are tough in NY) and just going 2 coats of stain.
Boco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 06:22 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 406
View DynaPLLC's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierPaintingMa View Post
You should have no problem is you use a full coat of tinted oil primer then use a Waterborner solid stain.
Wait, solid stain over oil primer?

You either oil it and paint over or strip and brighten that cedar and put one coat of solid stain on top. I've never heard of solid stain over oil primer...maybe I'm wrong though.
DynaPLLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 08:27 PM   #6
PRC

Rewards Points: 46
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatcleaver View Post
What is waterborner stain? Is it water based or oil? Does the primer or stain need to be sprayed? Thanks for the help
An example would be BM Arborcoat solid which is an 100% acrylic waterborne stain, which is water cleanup.
Neither needs to be sprayed but they can be. If spraying, the first coat should be back brushed or rolled to work it in. Always work 3-5 boards laterally end to end to avoid laps.
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 09:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaPLLC View Post
Wait, solid stain over oil primer?

You either oil it and paint over or strip and brighten that cedar and put one coat of solid stain on top. I've never heard of solid stain over oil primer...maybe I'm wrong though.
I didn't get the DynaPLLC?
Yes oil primer and waterborne solid stain by BM Arborcoat.
Nothing beat oil primer for exterior painting.
northcountrypainter (03-09-2016)
Old 03-09-2016, 11:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierPaintingMa View Post
I didn't get the DynaPLLC?
Yes oil primer and waterborne solid stain by BM Arborcoat.
Nothing beat oil primer for exterior painting.
what are the benefits of the Arborcoat stain over oil primer instead of a high quality exterior paint over the oil primer?

For the record I'm not being sarcastic I've just never heard of it.
I always put stain straight on bare wood or paint over primed surfaces but never did stain over primer. I'm open to constructive criticism and I'm more than willing to learn new things though...

OP, I suggest looking at the TWP 100 series cape cod gray finish and see if the owners like it. It's more of a semi solid being higher in solids than the rest of the colors.

If 2 coats are desired, they recommend a wet on wet application for best results.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynaPLLC View Post
what are the benefits of the Arborcoat stain over oil primer instead of a high quality exterior paint over the oil primer?

For the record I'm not being sarcastic I've just never heard of it.
I always put stain straight on bare wood or paint over primed surfaces but never did stain over primer. I'm open to constructive criticism and I'm more than willing to learn new things though...

OP, I suggest looking at the TWP 100 series cape cod gray finish and see if the owners like it. It's more of a semi solid being higher in solids than the rest of the colors.
If 2 coats are desired, they recommend a wet on wet application for best results.
Hi DynaPLLC! No criticism
First Oil primer will give a better grip to the old paint and bare wood, second the new paint or solid waterborne stain will have better bonding to an oil primer than bonding on paint or stain. Third oil primer will eliminate wood and nail rust from bleeding, fourth when painting over primer you will get a better sheen and color.
I do reprime all pre-prime woods with oil, I don't trust pre-prime wood that come out from manufactures these days.
Trust me this way will give you a longer paint life.
Hope this help

Last edited by PremierPaintingMa; 03-10-2016 at 06:17 AM..
PRC (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 12:31 PM   #10

Premier, I agree on all aspects with what you said because I've done it for years and I know the benefits of a primer . I was not debating wether or not a primer is a good choice. I was surprised why anyone would go to the extent of priming a whole house then instead of paint use stain, when you can easily apply just a coat or two of stain.

I can see at least a couple benefits doing it this way:

You save time
You have your stain penetrate the fibers of the wood instead of the oil primer.
You eliminate any adhesion problems you might have between the oil primer and water stain.
Water stain alone is more flexible than the oil primer making it ideal to apply directly on the wood.
Water or high quality oil stain has excellent color retention by itself, no need for an oil primer.

Now let me tell you. If I was to do my house and it was bare cedar I could think of two ways to finish it.

If I have a stretch of good weather, I'd use a long oil to penetrate those fibers for days , then use BM Aura on top.

If I was to stain it, I'd shoot some TWP or other high quality stain straight on the clean cedar.

But I would never think of using something like Arborcoat over oil primer.
That's just me.

Sorry if I cluttered the thread with all this I just wanted to have some things clarified but in the same time I didn't want to get in a debate .

Tags
None