Looking for fast staining system - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By ridesarize

Old 06-10-2018, 04:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,840
View Mr Smith's Photo Album My Photos
Default Looking for fast staining system

I'm getting a ton of calls for decks this year because I happen to have those keywords on page 1 of google for my city. I'm getting 4-5 quote requests a week so I can't ignore them any longer.

Has anyone found a quick way to apply Sikkens SRD RE translucent stain?

I did a quote yesterday and the guy not only wants his 2 decks stained but also a large 8' high fence. Both sides.

I've been using a stain brush that allows you to insert a broom handle for decks. I prefer to stand up when staining. It goes pretty quick.

That being said I'm not thrilled about staining all that fencing. Most of the time I use a solid color stain and spray/backroll fences.

Has anyone rolled Sikkens stain, or tried to spray it? It is watery so I'd guess that the answer is no. BUT...I'm sure there are painters who have tried to anyways.

I have one of those large red chemical sprayers used for concrete. I wonder if that would work? It's like an industrial garden sprayer. I could spray and then back brush. Thoughts?

Last edited by Mr Smith; 06-10-2018 at 04:21 PM..
Mr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-11-2018, 03:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,006
Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,217 Posts
View lilpaintchic's Photo Album My Photos

Yes, you can push it hrough an airless, Yes it's messy. Turn the pressure down and use a smaller tip if that's the direction ya go.
Otherwise, i think you're talking about a Hudson sprayer and yes, you could use that also. Either way, you'll be back brushing it in, so pick your tool! )

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
lilpaintchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpaintchic View Post
Yes, you can push it hrough an airless, Yes it's messy. Turn the pressure down and use a smaller tip if that's the direction ya go.
Otherwise, i think you're talking about a Hudson sprayer and yes, you could use that also. Either way, you'll be back brushing it in, so pick your tool! )

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I own a Chapin 3.5 gallon industrial concrete sprayer. I just called the manufacturer and YES you can use it to spray oil based stain.

I'm going to give it a try and start with the alley side of a pressure treated fence. It's a high 8' fence. The only downside might be using too much of the Sikkens stain which costs $50/gallon. That should also save a lot of time on deck floors & stairs.

I'll see how it goes.

Here it is:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Chapin-3...1949/301459921

Last edited by Mr Smith; 06-15-2018 at 12:48 PM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2018, 12:56 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 5,772
Thanked 15,421 Times in 8,092 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I use my HVLP to spray stains. Goes more slowly than an airless but keeps the overspray down. On a fence I guess I would consider doing three or four boards, back brush, then repeat.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
I use my HVLP to spray stains. Goes more slowly than an airless but keeps the overspray down. On a fence I guess I would consider doing three or four boards, back brush, then repeat.
I use my airless for acrylic solid color stains on fences. Transparent oil based stain is too watery to spray in an airless. I'm excited to see how that industrial chemical sprayer will work. It has a great selection of brass tips too.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 5,772
Thanked 15,421 Times in 8,092 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Smith View Post
I use my airless for acrylic solid color stains on fences. Transparent oil based stain is too watery to spray in an airless. I'm excited to see how that industrial chemical sprayer will work. It has a great selection of brass tips too.

Never used one so know idea how they would work in your situation. Only mentioned the HVLP because of the product control it allows, a good thing with something as costly as Sikkens. Of course the cost of a good HVLP unit isnít low but if you are going to be doing lots of jobs like this...

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH View Post
Never used one so know idea how they would work in your situation. Only mentioned the HVLP because of the product control it allows, a good thing with something as costly as Sikkens. Of course the cost of a good HVLP unit isn’t low but if you are going to be doing lots of jobs like this...
I own a 3 stage HVLP and it is way too slow for large stain jobs like fences & decks. Simple brushing would be faster IMO. You have to back-brush it anyways.

I use a stain brush where you can attach a broom handle.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Smith For This Useful Post:
RH (06-15-2018)
Old 06-16-2018, 04:44 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
I used to spray SRD through airless ALL THE TIME to do shake siding homes, rough plywood soffits and siding, tons of fences. Sprayed and backkbrushed always. Usually used a 6" block brush on a brush clip and extension pole. airless spraying is very helpful because you can get close to the surface with gun and drive the SRD into the wood some, and ger it on quick and wet enough to backbrush fast. don't want to b e messing around with inefficient systems...

If you want to know about an awesome deck brush look into the Perdura deck boss (amazon)
If you want to see a unique spray wand and brush in one... look into stainman products, I think his name is. I'll double check that
lilpaintchic and Mr Smith like this.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:01 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridesarize View Post
I used to spray SRD through airless ALL THE TIME to do shake siding homes, rough plywood soffits and siding, tons of fences. Sprayed and backkbrushed always. Usually used a 6" block brush on a brush clip and extension pole. airless spraying is very helpful because you can get close to the surface with gun and drive the SRD into the wood some, and ger it on quick and wet enough to backbrush fast. don't want to b e messing around with inefficient systems...

If you want to know about an awesome deck brush look into the Perdura deck boss (amazon)
If you want to see a unique spray wand and brush in one... look into stainman products, I think his name is. I'll double check that
Do you have a system to restain old cedar shakes? They can get pretty nasty looking and blackish. I always turn them down because it's almost impossible to know the original translucent stain color. Using Restore chemicals and brighteners is risky in the wind and on roofs.

I don't want that harsh chemical blowing back in my face. You also have to scrub the shakes with a brush apparently just like decks. Nobody else wants to do them so there probably is good money in it.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:26 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,424
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Do you have a system to restain old cedar shakes? They can get pretty nasty looking and blackish. I always turn them down because it's almost impossible to know the original translucent stain color. Using Restore chemicals and brighteners is risky in the wind and on roofs.

I don't want that harsh chemical blowing back in my face. You also have to scrub the shakes with a brush apparently just like decks. Nobody else wants to do them so there probably is good money in it.

Yes. I've done restains on shake homes too. can't always guarantee every bit of black will go away but they can turn out much much improved. Up here in Washington Shake homes fadee out usually get some black mildew in them after 5 to 10 years. Some people let them weather naturally, so doing a Restore and Brighten(and rinse) by Benjamin Moore and a careful pressure wash is the system.

The pressure wash pattern is a vertical pattern with no start and stop marks.... not side to side by the way.
On homes where the previous coating is still somewhat intact we have to use a spray on stripper like Benjamin Moore Remove, wash, then brighten, light wash, and rinse.

Roofs and everything surrounding the home is pre-rinsed with water from the hose and rinsed after the wash thoroughly. If the chemical spray on your skin is bothersome you can wear a face shield that covers your head and face.

Tags
None