Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Louvre doors

11K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  Sammydog 
#1 ·
Have 14 Louvre closet doors that are peeling from a previous paint job.
My job is to "fix" them. I have scraped/sanded two doors to remove the
top layer of paint that is failing. There appears to be two layers beneath
this faulty layer that are stable.

Anyone have an easier way to remove this top layer of paint? It is taking about two hours per door, and with 12 more to do, I am ready to look for a high bridge to jump off. I am currently using a Bahco scraper and various
grits of sandpaper.

Thanks...

#3 ·
Yeah, I figured cheaper to replace too. Homeowner got a price of $225 per door, plus instalation, plus paint. so this is where I come in. I can scrape/sand one door to stable paint in about 2 hours, so that beats
her new door price. Still...no fun with 12 more to do! Thanks for your reply.

#10 ·
Doors are no older than 1960 (house built then). Doors last painted 2 years ago. Two layers of paint underneath are solid-- scraping the bejesus out of them and sanding with 80 grit barely budges the paint. This leads me to believe that they are strong.

#12 ·
A previous painter didn't sand prior to finishing. The layer that he applied will take any subsequent layers with it when it fails. Sanding is the most important prep step and the most neglected. Oil will fail over oil and latex will fail over latex if no sanding is done. Ask a paint pro why they recommend priming when changing from one base to another, because guys don't sand. Where are the craftsmen? This isn't rocket science.

#14 ·
did the frames fail as well or just the 14 doors??? ..........paint must have had something against doors :(

and i dont buy that ''not sanding'' stuf.... maybe 1 section of a door if anything but not all 14 complete doors ...........im not saying anything else until i see pics and for all we now it may be latex over oil and this guy just has no idea .....as of now were takin his word for it and words are just that

P.S

I call Shenanigans..................

#16 ·
did the frames fail as well or just the 14 doors??? ..........paint must have had something against doors :(

and i dont buy that ''not sanding'' stuf.... maybe 1 section of a door if anything but not all 14 complete doors ...........im not saying anything else until i see pics and for all we now it may be latex over oil and this guy just has no idea .....as of now were takin his word for it and words are just that

I call Shenanigans..................
Ole, I come across more and more failed finishes for lack of proper prep all the time. I said in another forum that that is why I now get work from a contractor and the previous painter doesn't. His surfaces kept failing. Paint doesn't discriminate doors from frames, if the paint was bad, the failure would be throughout the room. Is it hard to believe that louvred doors didn't get sanded and the frames did, hell no. Louvred doors? OP, are the door's stiles and rails peeling? Or, is it just the louvre slats? OP, do the exposed areas look smooth and unabraded? I'm betting they do. You guys who search for all these obscure scientific reasons why paint is peeling kill me. It's Occam's Razor, the most logical and simplest answer is usually the right one. Human error is the single biggest reason for paint failure. Even it is moisture related, the doings or the non-doings of a human can be found at some point in the process.
OP, I've been there before. Had a hallway with four double wide closets of louvred 36" doors, that's eight doors, same problem, same procedure. I know what you're going through. I looked at the tool you're using, wrong tool. You're trying to take it off from above. Get some thin, flexible spackle blades and get underneath the failing finish. You'll make much better time and have an easier one at that. As to the mental, focus on what's behind and completed, not on what's ahead and needing to be done, doing that is only discouraging. Besides, if your brushing as opposed to spraying, you've got that long monotonous road ahead as well.
Ole, we've been down this road before with sanding, you're pretty adamant, thou doth protest too much.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.