Manor Hall gloss replacement? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ParamountPaint
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts

Old 05-01-2020, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 12
View justPainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Manor Hall gloss replacement?

So since PPG decided to change everything up they discontinued my go-to int door & trim paint. 52-110 was their int/ext gloss fast-dry acrylic latex. My rep is recommending Perma-crete as a replacement. Is this a higher-end quality like MH? I'd like to stay in the higher end wb paint.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
justPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2020, 05:15 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 6
View SS_painting's Photo Album My Photos

I used Pitt Tech a lot, and liked its drying capabilities. You need to wait a LONG time before you can tape it though

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
SS_painting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,416
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by justPainting View Post
So since PPG decided to change everything up they discontinued my go-to int door & trim paint. 52-110 was their int/ext gloss fast-dry acrylic latex. My rep is recommending Perma-crete as a replacement. Is this a higher-end quality like MH? I'd like to stay in the higher end wb paint.

W309 gloss (latex) or advance high gloss (WB alkyd)
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2020, 10:44 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 210
View ParamountPaint's Photo Album My Photos

I never used that Manor Hall Gloss, mainly because I like to talk people into a satin or semi (at most) for trim.

Now Pitt-Tech makes for a good trim paint, but it takes some time to cure. Repaint time is good, but cure time is bad. It's hard as nails after 30 days, but that won't help you on something like kitchen cabs.

Breakthrough has excellent dry and "blocking" time, but it has no leveling and drags like a mofo.

I use PPG almost exclusively, but they in no way, shape, or form have a good paint for residential millwork. They are way behind the curve on a good trim paint. A few years ago, I tried Manor Hall acrylic-alkyd and it was a disaster. I don't even know if they make it anymore, but it was trying to be Advance or Pro-Classic, except worse.

I suspect that PPG does not take the residential market very seriously. I can't imagine why a company with that global reach completely ignores the fact that painters need a good paint for millwork.

6-Line semigloss enamel is the best they've got to fit that bill, and it doesn't cover worth a damn. I suppose they've got bigger fish to fry than worrying about grandma's trim.
finishesbykevyn likes this.
ParamountPaint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #5

Well, I guess I can always hit Lowe's.. . I'm not sure what I'm going to use seriously. I'll spray since it's 6" trim and about 1700 linear ft. And I need it done in 1 day of prep, 1 day to paint.

Old 05-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 5,586
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

PPG has a WB alkyd hybrid. Its not my fav though.

For the love of God, dont get anything from Lowes.

Maybe you should just try the permacrete out, and see how it goes. Or use breakthrough. Thats what it was designed for. Im not to crazy about it now though.

Last edited by Woodco; 05-03-2020 at 09:12 AM..
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 09:25 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
PPG has a WB alkyd hybrid. Its not my fav though.

For the love of God, dont get anything from Lowes.

Maybe you should just try the permacrete out, and see how it goes. Or use breakthrough. Thats what it was designed for. Im not to crazy about it now though.
Yea, I was joking about the Lowe's. I was just reading about Advantage 900 from PPG. I've never tried it but it is another fast dry latex. Anyone ever use it ?

Old 05-04-2020, 06:07 AM   #8
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,151
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

Honestly, why a high gloss on trims. Eww. Satin or semi is the norm..Lots of good latex enamels out there. Cabinet coat, breakthrough, Cornado makes a hybrid one too that I'd like to try. If your spraying and have limited time, I think most of these are a 3-4hr recoat.. If really short on time, The BM Aura (although a little pricey) is a 1hr recoat time I believe..
finishesbykevyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by finishesbykevyn View Post
Honestly, why a high gloss on trims. Eww. Satin or semi is the norm..Lots of good latex enamels out there. Cabinet coat, breakthrough, Cornado makes a hybrid one too that I'd like to try. If your spraying and have limited time, I think most of these are a 3-4hr recoat.. If really short on time, The BM Aura (although a little pricey) is a 1hr recoat time I believe..
The Coronado one is really nice for the price, very similar feel to advance.
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
finishesbykevyn (05-05-2020)
Old 05-04-2020, 01:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cocomonkeynuts View Post
The Coronado one is really nice for the price, very similar feel to advance.
The Coronado Super Kote 5000 and the Advantage 900 both have a recoat time of 4hrs in Semi-gloss. My price on the Advantage is $45/gal vs $37/gal(street price) of the Coronado. Still undecided as I haven't used either, but I've always stuck with PPG.. any thoughts?

Last edited by justPainting; 05-04-2020 at 01:19 PM..
Old 05-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by justPainting View Post
The Coronado Super Kote 5000 and the Advantage 900 both have a recoat time of 4hrs in Semi-gloss. My price on the Advantage is $45/gal vs $37/gal(street price) of the Coronado. Still undecided as I haven't used either, but I've always stuck with PPG.. any thoughts?

I need to raise the price of my sk5000! off the shelf 35 and my regular contractor pricing was $28/gal and yes I would say its pretty good at that price point.

Just so were talking about the same one (there is regular sk5000 and the trim paint):
https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...-acrylic-alkyd

Otherwise I prefer cabinetcoat with a splash of extender. CC definitely has superior coverage and hardens up faster.
monarchski likes this.
The Following User Says Thank You to cocomonkeynuts For This Useful Post:
finishesbykevyn (05-05-2020)

Tags
None