Murals - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 04-07-2009, 02:03 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
View WAGGZ's Photo Album My Photos
Default Murals

My next job is a repaint of a bedroom, bath, & closet. All three have murals in them. The murals are temper paint. Anyone have any tips other than sand, prime, paint. Will definitely be priming and using a flat paint but just wondering about making sure no texture shows through.

Thanks
WAGGZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75
View cy hundley's Photo Album My Photos

I would be concerned about adherance of your new coats, and secondly bleed through. I usually top coat my murals with a semi gloss clear. I would look for that, also depending on the type paint used for the murals, did you say tempera? this could affect another top coat as well. I would suggest removing as much of all that as possible, then a good primer like you said. As far as impasto, or texture goes, you may have to take high points off with a big putty or Joint taping knife and do a skim coat and re-texture.
cy hundley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 05:51 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250
View Roadog's Photo Album My Photos

what Cy said. The tempera will just become "wet" again when moisture hits it and will give bleed thru forever. Need to sponge/wipe it off then use a sealer/primer

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

I'd try washing it off as best you can, maybe even mix up some Krud Kutter, then sand it up and maybe apply Zinsser Gardz over it. Fast drying thin clear sealer.

Post back here when you are done. Let us know what you did and what worked.
jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:35 PM   #5

Thanks will update w/ pictures.

Ryan
Old 04-08-2009, 10:29 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadog View Post
what Cy said. The tempera will just become "wet" again when moisture hits it and will give bleed thru forever. Need to sponge/wipe it off then use a sealer/primer
Hey Roadog, anyone still use tempera for murals? I never have, any advantage? Seems like it may be a PITA, but I don't know enough about that medium to say. I mainly use acrylics.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:08 PM   #7

Not that I know of. Most use acrylics. Sounds like a DIY job because I would imagine most muralist would have at least put a fixative on that paint.
Nice website. You do great work.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:08 AM   #8

I know the muralist and am going to talk to her beforehand to find out what she uses. But I think I got confused on what tempera paints are.
Old 04-09-2009, 06:05 AM   #9

they are the water base paints in the kids area. finger paints, non toxic...some people use it for "body painting" which drys and cracks! Unless its "egg" tempera.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAGGZ View Post
I know the muralist and am going to talk to her beforehand to find out what she uses. But I think I got confused on what tempera paints are.
This is a good idea, the more info the better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadog View Post
they are the water base paints in the kids area. finger paints, non toxic...some people use it for "body painting" which drys and cracks! Unless its "egg" tempera.
Thanks for clearing that up, Also thanks for checking out my site, and the props. I just viewed yours, wow, you guys really got alot going on! I aspire to someday have a business which can provide that large of a scope of work, to that type of clientele. Good shot of motivation for me, thanks!
Old 05-01-2009, 10:50 PM   #11

sorry no pics. But all we did was sand the piss out of it and put 2 coats of Promar 200 Flat on it. There were 2 places that didn't get sanded that well but thank God the furniture covered it up. The HO was more worried about bleed through than a little texture showing so it was no problem. In the powder room I used ProGreen 200 low sheen egg shell w/ 1/2" nap roller and the added stipple helped cover up the textured places.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #12
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

tempera is (by definition) a water soluable paint. Wash (with scrub pad) whatever you can. Residue should be sealed - I'd use a shellac based primer (B.I.N.) - and then paint.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None