Need Guidance on finishing exterior door - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By PRC

Old 06-14-2016, 08:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 6
View diymark's Photo Album My Photos
Default Need Guidance on finishing exterior door

Hello Group
I'm new to the group...searching for some help here. I'm a finish carpenter and furniture maker and I've been working on a new quarter sawn white oak front door for my own house. I've spent way too much time making it perfect to botch up the finish step (for those that care...hand laminated stave core, floating tennons, half lapped mullions). I don't do a lot of exterior finishing but I did do a refinish of an exterior door 10-12 years ago and used Sikkens. It still looks pretty good today.

So went to a specialty paint store today that carries Sikkens products and a patron overheard my conversation (clearly a veteran by the looks of his truck). He jumped in and said the Sikkens product today is a far cry from what I used 10 years ago. He steered me towards the Canadian Sansin products, specifically Ardera.

Any thoughts or knowledge on this product? Ideally I'm looking for something that is durable but also brings out the rays of the oak. Lots of info finishing interior oak, but not too much for exterior. I often invite clients to my house to see my work and I'm hoping the front door translates that message.

Secondary challenge is I live in southern california where the regs have put the finish manufactures at a disadvantage (low VOC). Door is north facing and doesn't receive too much sun or rain.
Thanks for the help.
diymark is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #2
PRC

Rewards Points: 46
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Are you looking to stain or just varnish?
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #3

Leaning toward stain because I didn't think clears would bring out the wood features. But I'm open.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2016, 10:00 PM   #4
PRC

Rewards Points: 46
View PRC's Photo Album My Photos

Old Masters makes good gel and wiping stains. Use an oil-based spar varnish to finish and put 6-8 coats on for initial protection.
PremierPaintingMa likes this.
PRC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PRC For This Useful Post:
journeymanPainter (06-14-2016), PremierPaintingMa (06-14-2016)
Old 06-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #5
Retired Moderator

Rewards Points: 840
Thanked 10,458 Times in 5,722 Posts
View Gough's Photo Album My Photos

While many if their products have changed. I don't think Sikkens Door and Window has.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:08 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 686
Thanked 1,656 Times in 1,065 Posts
View journeymanPainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by diymark View Post
Hello Group
I'm new to the group...searching for some help here. I'm a finish carpenter and furniture maker and I've been working on a new quarter sawn white oak front door for my own house. I've spent way too much time making it perfect to botch up the finish step (for those that care...hand laminated stave core, floating tennons, half lapped mullions). I don't do a lot of exterior finishing but I did do a refinish of an exterior door 10-12 years ago and used Sikkens. It still looks pretty good today.

So went to a specialty paint store today that carries Sikkens products and a patron overheard my conversation (clearly a veteran by the looks of his truck). He jumped in and said the Sikkens product today is a far cry from what I used 10 years ago. He steered me towards the Canadian Sansin products, specifically Ardera.

Any thoughts or knowledge on this product? Ideally I'm looking for something that is durable but also brings out the rays of the oak. Lots of info finishing interior oak, but not too much for exterior. I often invite clients to my house to see my work and I'm hoping the front door translates that message.

Secondary challenge is I live in southern california where the regs have put the finish manufactures at a disadvantage (low VOC). Door is north facing and doesn't receive too much sun or rain.
Thanks for the help.
Picture of the door would really help
journeymanPainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:31 PM   #7
RH

Rewards Points: 7,032
Thanked 15,552 Times in 8,199 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I used the Sansin conditioner, stain, and clear coat on the exterior of a very expensive fir front door and it came out really well. If you aren't spraying, you need to work it fairly fast since it dries quickly. It's also pretty costly stuff.

Bill Watterson
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 07:33 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 579
View Phinnster's Photo Album My Photos

Door and window
No brainier
Stuff is great
Multiple coats
Phinnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

Door and Window is great stuff. Sansin is great stuff as well.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 10:56 AM   #10

RH,
Do you remember which product you used on the Fir door? I went to the Sansin window and door page (link))
and was a bit overwhelmed. SDF, ENS, EOS, Adera all sound about the same. I need to do some more reading. Tell me more about your prep of the door.

Interestingly the paint store showed me stains that are shown on their website as interior stains. I suspect interior stains will lose their color with UV exposure.
Old 06-16-2016, 01:14 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 199
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Personally, I'd use Sikkens Door and Window. I wasn't aware of this till I just looked at their website, but it's available in 5 different colors.
http://www.perfectwoodstains.com/vie...ol-door-window

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior door, sansin, sikkens