Need help stain matching - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 11-04-2009, 11:25 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250
View Metro M & L's Photo Album My Photos
Default Need help stain matching

I'm trying to match some existing fir stair treads. I have tried four different stains at this point and had sherwin make one as a guestimate as well. I thought I had the color nailed. Let the stain dry for an hour until dry to the touch then applied poly. When I returned a couple days later the treads had faded considerably. I'm wondering what caused this.

was it a: solvents in the stain made the tone look darker ie like when you wipe a floor with mineral spirits

was it b: the stain was not completely absorbed by the wood and continued to be absorbed over time.

was it c: the dry time on the stain was too short and the polyurethane diluted it.

was it d: the stain is photoreactive and the exposure to sunlight caused the stain to lighten and even out.

Or a combination of all 4?

Also, what is your procedure for matching existing work (in this case I'm refinishing the old wood in place, I don't have to make new material match the old)?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Metro M & L is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2009, 11:53 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View Metro M & L's Photo Album My Photos

cheep cheep

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Metro M & L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None