Not sure how to attack this. - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 07-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 185
View Shakey0818's Photo Album My Photos
Default Not sure how to attack this.

The house i'm currently painting the aluminum siding on needs help on the inside.I haven't worked on interior in this bad shape in a long time and am a bit rusty out of date on the proper prep.The up stairs bedroom walls are the cement like with very little wallpaper left on them.The hall and the downstairs are a mess.The homeowner tried the paper tiger wheel and it did nothing.I tried a steamer but it just made the plaster underneath too soft.I tried a warm wash ans a scrape and all it did was dig the plaster all up.
Some areas the homeowner may go over with new board.Some rooms he may have a skip trowel method done.All i had on me was Cover Stain so i did a small area in each room.The room with the cement like walls took good and i was able to scrape off most of the paper after that.It seemed to lock it down ok.The walls with full paper backing on them i primed to see how that would work and it still could use another scrape and 2nd coat of primer.I never have painted anything over wallpaper backing before.
Is there a good primer that will lock it all down or is the cover stain good enough.If there is no solution other than removing it all then that will be done or we might just gut it and start from scratch.Obviously whatever is most cost effective method would be best.This particular customer has a few rental properties and is far far from being a slum lord.He cares about his properties and puts the best products in them.I would like to give him the best solution for his problems.
I will post a few picts in the next few min.Any help would be greatly
Thanks Rob
Shakey0818 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 08:39 PM   #2

Heres a feq shots of the walls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I527 using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2015, 09:11 PM   #3
Lambrecht Painting

Rewards Points: 1,094
Thanked 1,307 Times in 656 Posts
View Lambrecht's Photo Album My Photos

Gardz the walls. Scrape whatever is poking out after Gardz is dry. Skim coat the deep gouges, cracks, and holes. Spray knockdown texture on all the walls, prime paint and done.
CApainter (07-23-2015), hammerhead (07-22-2015), SemiproJohn (07-22-2015), Shakey0818 (07-22-2015)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2015, 10:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 42
Thanked 1,066 Times in 595 Posts
View driftweed's Photo Album My Photos

Are you SURE it's plaster? Take your box knife and see if it is scoreable. I thought I had a plaster job, but the wall were as hard as slate. I burned up a rotozip tip in less than 12 inches. Couldn't scratch the plaster at all.

I stepped back, did some research and discover that it was asbestos drywall.

The paper was peeling EXACTLY like that ceiling picture.
driftweed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to driftweed For This Useful Post:
CApainter (07-23-2015), Lambrecht (07-22-2015)
Old 07-22-2015, 11:39 PM   #5
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Looks like a tear down to me, or a learning burn for the local fire dept.

Seriously, from what you are describing, it doesn't sound like there is any good permanent solution. Either overlay or remodel back to the studs. IMO, anything else is a band-aid.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daArch For This Useful Post:
DrakeB (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 04:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by daArch View Post
Looks like a tear down to me, or a learning burn for the local fire dept.

Seriously, from what you are describing, it doesn't sound like there is any good permanent solution. Either overlay or remodel back to the studs. IMO, anything else is a band-aid.
My thoughts exactly.Hes spending a lot of money transforming this rental property into something nice.IMO i would just do it right the first time and be done with it forever but i def understand wanting to save a few bucks.I did mention Lambrechts suggestion which will most likely be the path we take providing i can get more of the paper off.He did mention a shellac based primer but i'm not sure what hes talking about and if that would work better than the Gardz.We'll figure it all out by the beginning of next week.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shakey0818 For This Useful Post:
Lambrecht (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 04:40 AM   #7
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakey0818 View Post
My thoughts exactly.Hes spending a lot of money transforming this rental property into something nice.IMO i would just do it right the first time and be done with it forever but i def understand wanting to save a few bucks.I did mention Lambrechts suggestion which will most likely be the path we take providing i can get more of the paper off.He did mention a shellac based primer but i'm not sure what hes talking about and if that would work better than the Gardz.We'll figure it all out by the beginning of next week.
Gardz is way,way,way, cheaper and will do the job. I would use 2 heavy coats
Lambrecht (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 01:37 PM   #8
RH

Rewards Points: 5,750
Thanked 15,417 Times in 8,089 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

It's places like that which made putting up paneling popular.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
daArch (07-23-2015), I paint paint (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Lambrecht Painting

I did one last summer which was in far worse condition than what you are dealing with using the system that I recommended and it turned out beautiful. Have gotten a lot of referral work from it. We did all the walls, layed over the ceilings with 3/8 drywall, did all the woodwork, windows, doors, & installed crown molding throughout. They had bought the house to flip but love the results so much that they are giving the house to one of their kids to keep it in their family. The overall cost was much cheaper than a full gut and redo and the place looks brand new. I am fully confident that the system that we used will last for many many years.
daArch (07-24-2015), SemiproJohn (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 03:25 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 8
View JIM MAC's Photo Album My Photos

You will definitely want to use a oil base product or shellac base to seal down the surface. Once you have the surface sealed you can then use drywall texture and a water base product to finish. I have done what you are doing before and had pretty good luck. But I will say the best would be to go to the studs and start new. That's not to cost effective. Best of luck

Last edited by JIM MAC; 07-23-2015 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: clarification
JIM MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:16 PM   #11
RH

Rewards Points: 5,750
Thanked 15,417 Times in 8,089 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrecht View Post
I did one last summer which was in far worse condition than what you are dealing with using the system that I recommended and it turned out beautiful. Have gotten a lot of referral work from it. We did all the walls, layed over the ceilings with 3/8 drywall, did all the woodwork, windows, doors, & installed crown molding throughout. They had bought the house to flip but love the results so much that they are giving the house to one of their kids to keep it in their family. The overall cost was much cheaper than a full gut and redo and the place looks brand new. I am fully confident that the system that we used will last for many many years.
That's a plan I could get behind. Why put all that time and money into prep? Just cover it and basically start fresh.

Groucho Marx
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RH For This Useful Post:
Lambrecht (07-23-2015)
Old 07-23-2015, 07:14 PM   #12
very senior member

Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM MAC View Post
You will definitely want to use a oil base product or shellac base to seal down the surface. Once you have the surface sealed you can then use drywall texture and a water base product to finish. I have done what you are doing before and had pretty good luck. But I will say the best would be to go to the studs and start new. That's not to cost effective. Best of luck
Did you read the posts above???

GARDZ all the way, no need at all for oil and or shellac
daArch (07-24-2015), hammerhead (07-23-2015), Lambrecht (07-23-2015)
Old 07-24-2015, 12:08 AM   #13
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisn View Post
Did you read the posts above???

GARDZ all the way, no need at all for oil and or shellac
+1 for Draw-tite or gardz.

Shellac is NOT appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambrecht
Your previous post recommends knockdown, which will suffice IF the HO's like knockdown and not smooth walls.

Another solution I've mentioned before is one of the Flexi-Wall products, one of which being Faster Plaster. An experienced installer will be needed.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 12:47 AM   #14
Lambrecht Painting

Original plan was to layover the lids and walls. I asked the HO of i could do a sample wall of knockdown for them to try to keep cost down. After they seen the sample wall they loved the look and decided to do the whole house. They have flipped 15+ homes in the past and this one turned out to be one of their favorites.
daArch (07-24-2015), oldccm (07-24-2015)

Tags
None