Painting fresh plaster - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 09-16-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,618
Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,912 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Default Painting fresh plaster

It's been years since I have had to paint new plaster. I can't find any paperwork or notes on any job in the past that I have had to prime and paint new plaster. So, my question is this:

What would you recommend as a primer for new plaster? By new I mean it is a new plaster skimcoat, but has dried/cured for over 9 months. My first instinct would be an acrylic primer like BM FreshStart.

Any numbers as to material usage? I know it will be more porous than drywall, but how much? 50%? 100%? Anyone with a typical sq ft of coverage for new plaster?

Any help would be appreciated.
ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2007, 07:36 AM   #2
FT painter/FT dad

Rewards Points: 500
View Rich's Photo Album My Photos

I've used BM super spec latex, and I've also used BM fresh start oil based. Both performed well, but the oil made me feel more protected, simply because it's oil.

Coverage for new plaster is scary. I'm not sure exactly what it is, but for me it's been as low as 150-200 per gallon. When you put the paint on, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
Old 09-20-2007, 04:22 AM   #3

View Joewho's Photo Album My Photos

PWG, I had a link about this, but can't find it. There's definately ways to treat new plaster, even plaster that's cured for 9 months.

The dusty porosity tends to make coatings peel. I'd thin a first coat of primer and then use a straight second coat of primer.

or maybe check out the idea of an emulsifier to get a nice bond.
Joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2007, 07:45 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10
View thepaintermanuk's Photo Album My Photos

In the UK we have alot of plaster.
We usually thin down our first coat of matt emulsion (Latex I beleive you call it) about 20-25%.

This seals the plaster for subsequent coats.

Only use matt emulsion to first coat (seal) NEVER silk,gloss or eggshell finishes they contain too much vinyl.

If you put any paint straight (no thinning) onto new uncoated plaster you're looking for trouble.

Great forum btw.
thepaintermanuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:59 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

After all the problems I have had - I will be investigating those concrete type penetrant sealers - they are 100% acrylic with absolutely no pigment and are watery - I think unless the plaster job is absolutely perfectly hard trowelled - that any other latex with pigments, just won't recombine the chaulk and soft plaster. IF you are willing to wait months like 3-4, an oil based enamel undercoater with a slow dry works great.
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #6

View Tmrrptr's Photo Album My Photos

Anything for masonry should do the trick for your initial coat, but I'd watched that the moisture content was in an acceptable range and it had cured properly.

I've never painted over fresh interior plaster.

Stucco exteriors have usually been at least a week, and usually two or more, before we applied any paint to them... and we've just used exterior latex, usually sprayed. But that's probably different.

I suppose I'd use SW Loxon for a primer in a new interior situation.
It would be a hi-dollar gig, here in ca...

Labor intensity, skill to apply plaster efficiently, and cure time are probably the factors that led us to sheetrock interiors.
Tmrrptr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 05:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 25
View oakley's Photo Album My Photos

A customer of mine is the "plaster-master" and he will only use Cover Stain by Zinsser.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 06:48 PM   #8

Again - Cover Stain is an oil based primer, and works great - but you have to wait anywhere from 60 to 90 days for the plaster to completely cure and bleach out bright white. But I definitely think that is the only proper way to treat plaster - I have not had any success with latex primers that say you can prime anywhere from 3 days to a month after the job is done.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75
View Mandrake's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
suppose I'd use SW Loxon for a primer in a new interior situation.
Loxon is a good choice for plaster but will run a bit more than your standard acrylics.
Mandrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:43 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 250
View FoilEffects's Photo Album My Photos

I am a plasterer as well as a painter. Plaster has a 30 day cure time prior to priming. If you want to avoid the 30 you can opt for 7 days but if you do you will need to use SW Loxon designed for new plaster. Loxon has about the same PH as plaster and absorbs into the plaster. Loxon is very costly but not as costly as putting anything else on the plaster prior to the 30 day cure.
FoilEffects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 12:03 PM   #11

Finally a plasterer who says you can't prime before 30 days. Foil - I have a question for ya - have you seen other guys in your field not 'trowelling-up' the plaster very well? Basically plaster is soft - I tested a couple of patches with latex primer and oil after 2-1/2 months - and the latex primer comes off with blue tape - where as the oil primer doesn't. But after I rip the blue tape off - I see plaster residue on the tape.
Old 12-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 75
View painter jeff's Photo Album My Photos
Default Priming Plaster

Sherwin Williams ...PrepRite ProBlock int/ext latex primer sealer 1.40 mls.

Pratt & Lambert......Suprime "12"interior alkyd wall primer 1.50 mls.

Benjamin Moore..... Super Spec latex En under & primer sealer .1.10 mls.

ICI Paints......Prep & Prime Gripper multi- purpose water based primer sealer ..1.90mls

Take our pick

Plaster New
painter jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:56 PM   #13

View Roadog's Photo Album My Photos

Saying plaster is like saying paint. What kind of paint? Oil, latex.....Same with plaster. What kind of plaster? Lime, Gypsum, what was used as aggregate? Was it lime with a gypsum guage finish?
Lime (From limestone) should cure. Gypsum sets quicker and can be painted quicker. A LOT of lime guys use gypsum for guaging which helps it set quicker. Problem there is water and gypsum dont go well together. Depending on the mix, this could be why your latex failed. Too much gypsum used and maybe too soon. IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 11:38 AM   #14

View FoilEffects's Photo Album My Photos

If you go over Lime plasters with latex you run the risk of peeling, gypsum plasters also have many problems in these cases. Gypsum plasters are used in homes but its most wide use in mold making.
Over the years I have tried many many primers over plasters and the best I have found is Loxon by SW, ProBlock is a great primer but over raw drywall and not so much plaster.

Painter Jeff,

What cure time for these primers?
FoilEffects is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None