Painting over stained cabinets - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 07-08-2009, 10:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View pacificpainters's Photo Album My Photos
Default Painting over stained cabinets

I want paint over stained kitchen cabinets. Should I sand then prime then paint or just prime and paint?
thanks
pacificpainters is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2009, 11:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75
View brushmstr's Photo Album My Photos

I would clean, sand, prime with oil to prevent any bleed then sand and topcoat.
brushmstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

sand them, smooth them out, it will help get off any dirt and grease as well. I agree with oil primer, cures harder for the bangin around
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #4

View pacificpainters's Photo Album My Photos
Default Thanks one more?

Thanks,
Last time I painted w/o you could scratch the paint off with your finger nail. eeeek.
In San Jose CA Kelly Moore Rep. said they are phasing out oil based paint. Is a decent water based primer a good sub? I guess I have no choice.
CR
pacificpainters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:13 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

If you are going to use a water base primer, use a dtm primer. Dries harder that other wb primers

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Last edited by johnpaint; 07-09-2009 at 07:49 PM..
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,031 Times in 753 Posts
View johnpaint's Photo Album My Photos

You can also use a wb clear bonding primer

Never argue with a fool - they will drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.

Last edited by johnpaint; 07-09-2009 at 07:49 PM..
johnpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
Almost Gone

zinsser bullseye 1-2-3 hardens up pretty good. great adhesion also.

if they phase out oil, I hope they figure out how to make a failsafe stainblocking wb. bullseye does pretty good but will bleed on some stuff.

otherwise, what is the alternative? sanding down? all that dust cant be any better than oil voc.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:23 PM   #8

View DavidNTexas's Photo Album My Photos

The main thing is to be sure they are clean, especially in a kitchen where they could be laden with grease from cooking. Use a solvent based cleaner, maybe even deglosser to be sure the grease isn't built up down in the grain and pores where sandpaper will not go. Nothing will stick to grease. Most likely will take a total of 3 coats (including primer) to cover the stained wood good. If they are stained dark don't be surprised if extra caulking and puttying might be needed. Cracks and holes don't show up on dark wood and many times are not puttied or caulked.

Last edited by DavidNTexas; 07-09-2009 at 11:25 PM..
DavidNTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 05:12 PM   #9

View colorfulpast's Photo Album My Photos

I wonder if any of you have had any luck with stripping cabinets before initial application and if so if you have any product in particular that does better than anything else. A HO wants to repaint very dark cabinets with a light semi gloss paint. I am concerned that if we were to just clean/sand/prime the paint would not hold for more than a couple of months. The cabinets are like vintage 1980's original and I imagine that there is all sorts of cooking grease and such on them.
colorfulpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:07 PM   #10
Almost Gone

gotta do it right
Old 07-12-2009, 01:19 AM   #11

View paintguy48's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorfulpast View Post
I wonder if any of you have had any luck with stripping cabinets before initial application and if so if you have any product in particular that does better than anything else. A HO wants to repaint very dark cabinets with a light semi gloss paint. I am concerned that if we were to just clean/sand/prime the paint would not hold for more than a couple of months. The cabinets are like vintage 1980's original and I imagine that there is all sorts of cooking grease and such on them.
Check this cleaner out. I use the dirtex powder when washing trim and cabinets. Cuts the grease very well.
http://www.savogran.com/Retail_Produ..._products.html
paintguy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:34 PM   #12

View Latexfreak's Photo Album My Photos
Default greasy slime

I would not only sand over them because they have food stains and grease splattered all over them but you should wipe them down with a degreaser like mineral spirits. Then flirt with the owners wife and then oil based prime to stop the stain from bleeding through the paint. Now you should sand lightly again with a fine grit and then paint. Dont take things farther than what you ae compensated for if you know what I mean. ahahahha
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificpainters View Post
I want paint over stained kitchen cabinets. Should I sand then prime then paint or just prime and paint?
thanks
Latexfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #13
Almost Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latexfreak View Post
Then flirt with the owners wife and then oil based prime to stop the stain from bleeding through...

my health insurance plan doesnt cover this, I guess theres too many dangerous husbands with shotguns...
Old 07-12-2009, 06:16 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

If they have goo remove it first with elbow grease, sand with medium grit sponges, and wipe the dust off with a deglosser. I always use KrudKutter Gloss Off with excellent results; it is not a solvent based product so your head and liver get a break.
Once that is finished they are left to dry, and then I spray (or brush/roll) them with the specified materials.

HERE is a link to one of my painted cabinet threads.

I have never had an issue with the finish failing in all of the years I have been doing refinishes.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 11:25 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 10
View Tomcruz3's Photo Album My Photos

I would first wipe down the cabinets with Xylol. The next day I would come back with a thin coat of shellac based primer, BIN does make a good aerosol can (shellac based primer) if you are spraying your finish. This will show your imperfections, so you can buff with a fine sanding sponge, then caulk/wood filler the imperfections then apply another thin coat of primer. If you are brushing your finish I would suggest alkyd enamel. If you are spraying your finish . and by the sound of it you like Kelly Moore so their durapoxy is pretty bulletproof.
Tomcruz3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None