PPG breakthrough on laminate slat walls? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 04-15-2013, 08:26 PM   #1
A Brush Above

Rewards Points: 2,598
Thanked 3,573 Times in 1,861 Posts
View Paradigmzz's Photo Album My Photos
Default PPG breakthrough on laminate slat walls?

Anyone have any input on using this on laminate skinned slat walls? I have a potential commercial after hours job and I want to change up the specs a bit. If I am going to put my head in the hangmans noose in suggesting this change, I want to know if there is a consensus that it is a viable choice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about it.This internet thing aint gonna last

Last edited by Schmidt & Co.; 04-15-2013 at 11:31 PM..
Paradigmzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,002
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,196 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos

Post more specifically the product you are considering. Common wainscotting for commercial? If its what I'm thinking it can be very pricy.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:02 PM   #3
A Brush Above

Ppg Breakthrough as the product to give a color change to slat walls .

Slat walls are basically formica veneered walls that department stores hang hooks and displays on. The spec is to leave the pink peachy walls or use a bonding primer and topcoat in acrylic. Existing color is ugly, I think the bonding priner and topcoat is going to pop loose and my hope is I can go directly with Breakthrough and have a harder more durable finish.

Any thoughts or opinions?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2013, 11:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,002
Thanked 2,047 Times in 1,196 Posts
View Paint and Hammer's Photo Album My Photos

I'm going back to grade 6....completely mis-read your post.

Now that I understand....sorry, can't help.

Your welcome.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paint and Hammer For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (04-16-2013)
Old 04-15-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,620
Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,912 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Why would the bonding primer pop off? I've used different bonding primers on glass and hung paper on them (which pulls a lot harder than paint when it dries) and haven't had in issue. I would think if the substrate is prepped/scuffed/tacked off, the bonding primer would work fine.

ProWallGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (04-16-2013), wje (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:23 AM   #6
Grants Painting

Rewards Points: 150
View GrantsPainting's Photo Album My Photos

I just put PPG Breakthrough over a clear that was on wainscotting in a restaurant. When I check the adhesion it was with a key and I gouged the wood without removing the coating. I profiled pretty well with 120 grit sponges. Not a completely dull surface but no longer super slick either.

It was awesome. Didn't care for the 409 smell one bit but man Ive never seen anything stick like that except epoxy.

It needs to be spread thin or else it will drip. When I thinned it.. It seamed to mess up the sheen a bit. I brushed out a few feet and then back brushed to get rid of the foaming issues. Turned out way better than I thought it would or could

PS that was with the satin. Im not sure Id try to roll out the semi on wainscotting. It leveled well but you;d sure see the orange peel with the higher gloss. Its also so thin that it won't hide any dust you leave behind.

Last edited by GrantsPainting; 04-16-2013 at 01:40 AM..
GrantsPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GrantsPainting For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #7
A Brush Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
Why would the bonding primer pop off? I've used different bonding primers on glass and hung paper on them (which pulls a lot harder than paint when it dries) and haven't had in issue. I would think if the substrate is prepped/scuffed/tacked off, the bonding primer would work fine.
Turn around time. The displays would get rehung the next day.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #8
A Brush Above

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantsPainting View Post
I just put PPG Breakthrough over a clear that was on wainscotting in a restaurant. When I check the adhesion it was with a key and I gouged the wood without removing the coating. I profiled pretty well with 120 grit sponges. Not a completely dull surface but no longer super slick either.

It was awesome. Didn't care for the 409 smell one bit but man Ive never seen anything stick like that except epoxy.

It needs to be spread thin or else it will drip. When I thinned it.. It seamed to mess up the sheen a bit. I brushed out a few feet and then back brushed to get rid of the foaming issues. Turned out way better than I thought it would or could

PS that was with the satin. Im not sure Id try to roll out the semi on wainscotting. It leveled well but you;d sure see the orange peel with the higher gloss. Its also so thin that it won't hide any dust you leave behind.

It would be satin rolled. Functional department store and they frown on interior spraying.

Also, I've never used the product, and have only the opinion of PT'ers as basis to propose product spec change. Will try sample area before bid submitted.

Another reason is I am hoping to reduce coats. Will save 12000 sq ft of wall space in the extra coat and labor. Trying to think outside the box.

Quote:
Old 04-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 250
View modernfinish's Photo Album My Photos

I swear by xim 400 bonding primer . It primes glass ... Nuff said
modernfinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:07 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,058
Thanked 1,004 Times in 641 Posts
View kdpaint's Photo Album My Photos

I think I would go with 2 coats Breakthrough versus bonding primer and 2 top coats.
kdpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kdpaint For This Useful Post:
HeadHoncho (04-16-2013), Paradigmzz (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 09:31 PM   #11
World Champion

View HeadHoncho's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernfinish
What good is a primer if the finish coat doesn't stick to the primer?

HeadHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #12
World Champion

View HeadHoncho's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigmzz

Will try sample area before bid submitted.
Good call!

HeadHoncho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HeadHoncho For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 1,574
Thanked 5,171 Times in 2,980 Posts
View straight_lines's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to straight_lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by modernfinish View Post
I used some today, very tight bond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdpaint View Post
I think I would go with 2 coats Breakthrough versus bonding primer and 2 top coats.
I am leaning towards that. So long as they were clean it should stick just fine. Don't know about it being returned to service so quickly though.

Primer makes everything better...
straight_lines is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to straight_lines For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 09:53 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 75
View AbsolutePainting's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via Yahoo to AbsolutePainting

I've used breakthrough with great success over laminate casework in a dentist office. Changed from 80's orange to off white in two coats. Very cool product! It's a pretty thin material and I second the comment about running, but it seams to set pretty fast too. Needs to be strained often, bonds very, very well.
AbsolutePainting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AbsolutePainting For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (04-16-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 02:51 AM   #15
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,726 Times in 1,599 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

Yeah scuff sand well and wipe clean. Should be good to go. Ironically I've never rolled it, only sprayed or brushed. I would think a 1/4" nap should be good.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None