Re-prime BIN??? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 08-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264
View HQP2005's Photo Album My Photos
Default Re-prime BIN???

Hey, Its been awhile.

I am currently following a taper who is re-fastening and re-taping ceilings on pre-existing sheetrock in a newly remodeled home.

In several of the rooms,there was a yellowing bleeding through the compound, which appeared to be nicotine stains, for which I covered with BIN (directly on to the compound), and plan to spray and back roll the ceiling coat.

The taper is suggesting the that I re-prime the BIN with a latex primer before the top coat.

Is there any reason for this that I am not seeing.

All the other priming is done and I would rather double coat the ceiling paint then get set up for shooting primer again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HQP2005 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 02:52 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 14
Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,918 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

The bin spots can flash if you don't reprime it, even through multiple coats. Some of these guys say sanding the spots can work, idk I usually just prime over them.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jmayspaint For This Useful Post:
HQP2005 (08-24-2014)
Old 08-24-2014, 03:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 154
View oldccm's Photo Album My Photos

As stated above they can flash. Sand then spot prime with whatever finish you're using. No use applying a latex primer over a shellac primer IMO. Make sure to wait before applying finish coats. I've found if you spot prime and apply a full coat over too soon the patch will flash anyway. Allowing the spot prime to fully dry before applying next coat can greatly reduce that.
oldccm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldccm For This Useful Post:
HQP2005 (08-24-2014)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 264
View HQP2005's Photo Album My Photos

just to clarify,

the yellowing was appearing uniformly over the entire ceiling (except where the tape had been imbedded), so we rolled the entire ceiling(s) with BIN.

My experience has been that 2 top coats of BM ceiling white ultra flat will prevent any flashing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
HQP2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 154
View oldccm's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by HQP2005 View Post
just to clarify,

the yellowing was appearing uniformly over the entire ceiling (except where the tape had been imbedded), so we rolled the entire ceiling(s) with BIN.

My experience has been that 2 top coats of BM ceiling white ultra flat will prevent any flashing.

If you did the whole ceiling you will be fine just painting over it. It's when just a patch is primed in the middle of the wall it can flash through the finish coat
oldccm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to oldccm For This Useful Post:
cardwizzard (08-24-2014), Criard (08-27-2014), HQP2005 (08-24-2014), Jmayspaint (08-24-2014)

Tags
None