roller choice pro classic - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
semi retired painter

Rewards Points: 154
View painterdude's Photo Album My Photos
Default roller choice pro classic

Have to paint some kitchen cabinets tomorrow. Bought some Proclassic(used it when it first came out, but it was crap) for cheapy in and out the customer wanted. Would you guys advise 6 inch roller or hot dog roller on this after cuts. I know, it's not the right way, but homeowner didn't want to go thru the process. I've painted a few over 30 years but not many and have little experience with this product. Thanks for the help. pd
painterdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2010, 11:46 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

I have pics up round here someplace of the exact job you are speaking of...

I use All Surface Enamel alkyd or latex, brush in with a 2 1/2" sash, then tool off with a white soild foamy 6" whizzz roller.
My work looks as though it were sprayed.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:45 PM   #3
semi retired painter

glad your work turned out so well. This are an older house, the handles are painted on(can't even see the screws). Will do brush cuts and roll out with 3/8 hot dog. I know plenty read the thread and only one comment. Don't blame ya...Not something I'd normally do, but small job is better than none. I explained the right way to do it and the cost. She asked for the easy way clean it up price. She understands what might happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 390
View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos

I am a big fan of Wooster mini roller. (It is built like a normal roller) You can get rollers in most any nap you want.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to [email protected] For This Useful Post:
brushmonkey (03-12-2010)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:21 PM   #5
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,652
Thanked 4,390 Times in 1,918 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Weenie roller will work fine, but I'd use a mohair nap as opposed to the 3/8".

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 186
View Masterpiece's Photo Album My Photos

The foam weenie roller should work great....I've used Pro Classic a few times and really love it for cabinets. I've even used it over interior lacquer painted doors (as a trial experiment) without even scuffing and it had remarkable bond and coverage.

Jeremy
Masterpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:41 PM   #7
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 238
Thanked 8,676 Times in 4,053 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpiece View Post
The foam weenie roller should work great....I've used Pro Classic a few times and really love it for cabinets. I've even used it over interior lacquer painted doors (as a trial experiment) without even scuffing and it had remarkable bond and coverage.

Jeremy
...not a real professional way of doing it without proper prep work. Just saying
Old 03-12-2010, 02:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 186
View Masterpiece's Photo Album My Photos

To clarify, the unprepped door application was a trial experiment for my benefit at my shop. I don't experiment on other people...or at least, their property

BTW, I've been curious about the All Surface Enamel in the past (WB) but how does it perform vs Pro Classic?

Last edited by Masterpiece; 03-12-2010 at 02:45 PM..
Masterpiece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #9
semi retired painter

Anyway...got the cabinets painted this morning...brushes all cuts and double cut the handles(they were painted over several times). Let that dry while doing next set then rolled out with hot dog 3/8. Haven't used pro classic since my first trial when it first came out. I must say that it's a lot better now. The only problem is it still sets up quite fast, which was fine for this job, but I wonder how brushing out more involved woodwork will work. The can says no thinning is necessary, I kept a can of water just to dip the brush once in while the same as I used to keep some spirits near the oil paint. All in all I was pleased and so was the home owner. Thanks for the help. pd
Old 03-12-2010, 04:17 PM   #10
Renegade Mod

Rewards Points: 238
Thanked 8,676 Times in 4,053 Posts
View Wolfgang's Photo Album My Photos

Nice stuff, but kinda "soft" with a longer set-up time. Did some kitchen cabinets in black, (sprayed), and they came out decent. Would I want it in my house on my cabs? Nope. But this was an insurance resto job so I had to stay in the budget.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:19 PM   #11
semi retired painter

one more comment......high dollar paint, opened and poured into another can.....blop, blop, blop.....Should you have to run for a strainer on whitePro Classic??? I get tired of the LACK or quality control which seems to be a regular thing the last few years. pd
Old 03-14-2010, 11:38 PM   #12
Logistics

Rewards Points: 2,100
View jack pauhl's Photo Album My Photos

We just did a kitchen with Sherwin Williams Pro Industrial 0 VOC ACRYLIC. Lots of working time and nice to work with. Its pricy but worth it. I have a review on the blog.

jack pauhl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jack pauhl For This Useful Post:
Rick the painter (03-15-2010)

Tags
None