Rounder Corners - Interior Painting - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #1
Ohio Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 250
View welovepainting's Photo Album My Photos
Default Rounder Corners - Interior Painting

Where doing a 8,000 sf new construction California style house. I'm not to fimilar with this style to much only done a few repaints. The house has no facings to the door jams the actual jamb is built into the wall.... What my question is whats the best way to get straight lines where the colors meet on the rounded corners? This paticular house has about 10-15 colors, ceiling trays and accent walls everywhere. From previous experience we tape the middle of the rounded edge. Im looking into maybee buying a laser but I could really use some advice and not sure which laser to buy.

Thanks guys and gals

Happy New Year!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
welovepainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #2
Save 2nd base!

Rewards Points: 4,622
Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,912 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos

Are you talking about bullnose corners? If so, your in luck. I have a modified little tool that I use for trimming wallpaper on those. Get yourself a 6" section of the plastic bullnose corner bead. It looks like this:

Get a small finish nail, and use a lighter to get the tip red hot. Then, using the hot nail, melt a small slit in the very middle of the corner bead. Let cool. Now you can put the corner bead on the corner, insert a pencil in the slit, and run it down the corner, effectively scribing a straight line down the corner, dead in the middle.

Hope that helps ya.

Also, for a reliable, small, powerful laser, I use the PLS2e. Only runs around $225.

Last edited by ProWallGuy; 01-30-2008 at 09:39 AM..
ProWallGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ProWallGuy For This Useful Post:
Painting Away (03-02-2010)
Old 01-30-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
Go Cardinals!!!

Rewards Points: 75
View DelW's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds like a "Tip of the day"
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 04:56 PM   #4
Painter/Owner

View Housepainter's Photo Album My Photos

Two good tips to add to the little notebook for future reference.

Last edited by Housepainter; 02-01-2008 at 07:06 PM..
Housepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Painting Contractor

View Thepaintman's Photo Album My Photos

[quote=ProWallGuy;12653]Are you talking about bullnose corners? If so, your in luck. I have a modified little tool that I use for trimming wallpaper on those. Get yourself a 6" section of the plastic bullnose corner bead. It looks like this:

Get a small finish nail, and use a lighter to get the tip red hot. Then, using the hot nail, melt a small slit in the very middle of the corner bead. Let cool. Now you can put the corner bead on the corner, insert a pencil in the slit, and run it down the corner, effectively scribing a straight line down the corner, dead in the middle.

Great idea! Gonna make myself one. You had better get to the patent office soon before someone beats you.
Thepaintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Ohio Painting Contractor

That is brillant thank you so much.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 PM   #7
Save 2nd base!

I can't take credit for that tip. I was told that by an old paperhanger several years ago at a NGPP workshop.
Old 02-01-2008, 05:33 PM   #8
3rd Generation Painter

View jackrabbit5's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovepainting View Post
Where doing a 8,000 sf new construction California style house. I'm not to fimilar with this style to much only done a few repaints. The house has no facings to the door jams the actual jamb is built into the wall.... What my question is whats the best way to get straight lines where the colors meet on the rounded corners? This paticular house has about 10-15 colors, ceiling trays and accent walls everywhere. From previous experience we tape the middle of the rounded edge. Im looking into maybee buying a laser but I could really use some advice and not sure which laser to buy.

Thanks guys and gals

Happy New Year!
Is there a small reveal where the jamb meets the bullnose? If so, why not paint the wall color all the way into the jamb?

jackrabbit5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:58 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 158
View CobraCDN's Photo Album My Photos

I've always picked a side of the softline bead to make a line, you can follow the mud ridge all the way with tape.

Cheers
CobraCDN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:30 AM   #10
Ohio Painting Contractor

The reason I wanted the line to be dead in the middle of the bull nose is because there are a lot of dramatic color changes and and my client didnt want the other color wrapped around the edge. The bull nose and pencil trick worked like a charm.

Old 02-06-2008, 03:15 PM   #11
Save 2nd base!

Quote:
Originally Posted by welovepainting View Post
The bull nose and pencil trick worked like a charm.
Sweet! I take Paypal BTW.

Tags
None