Shellac or B-I-N? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2007, 09:36 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 315
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
View Humble Abode's Photo Album My Photos
Default Shellac or B-I-N?

I don't think it matters either way, but which do you prefer for sealing knots in exterior wood and why?

What situation would you use one or the other and why?

I am asking in relation to siding that is going to be coated with an acrylic stain. The previous painters (CollagePro, go figure ) didn't honor the knots and there is some discoloration that I will need to take care of, obviously, before I apply the topcoat.

Normally I would just use B-I-N. All I want is to use the best available product.
Humble Abode is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2007, 09:58 PM   #2
Save 2nd base!

 
ProWallGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 6,450
Rewards Points: 4,652
Thanks: 3,436
Thanked 4,390 Times in 1,918 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Default

AFAIK, BIN is a shellac.
ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:04 PM   #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 315
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
View Humble Abode's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I know. That's what I was getting at, WTH is the difference? Is it simply the tint ability?
Humble Abode is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 04-22-2007, 10:05 PM   #4
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 315
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
View Humble Abode's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProWallGuy View Post
AFAIK, BIN is a shellac.

And more importantly WTH does AFAIK mean?
Humble Abode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 10:07 PM   #5
Rock On
 
slickshift's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cape Cod, MA
Posts: 2,451
Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanks: 68
Thanked 132 Times in 102 Posts
View slickshift's Photo Album My Photos
Default

B-I-N is a white pigmented shellac

It's the only one I use for sealing knots
I've not tried the SWP product

I've not used non-pigmented shellac for that purpose
slickshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:21 PM   #6
Save 2nd base!

 
ProWallGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: St. Louis MO
Posts: 6,450
Rewards Points: 4,652
Thanks: 3,436
Thanked 4,390 Times in 1,918 Posts
View ProWallGuy's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Abode View Post
And more importantly WTH does AFAIK mean?
As far as I know.........
ProWallGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:35 AM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Western Ma
Posts: 44
Rewards Points: 27
Thanks: 9
Thanked 10 Times in 7 Posts
View wmass's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I would use white pigmented if it were a lighter color and clear if it was a darker color now and you were going to recoat witha dark color.


Steve
wmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:00 AM   #8
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 217
Rewards Points: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
View Brushslingers's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Stain.. soild body? I'd use clear in that case. I normally only use clear for sealing plaster before a repair.
Brushslingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:24 PM   #9
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 315
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
View Humble Abode's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
I would use white pigmented if it were a lighter color and clear if it was a darker color now and you were going to recoat witha dark color.
Steve
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brushslingers View Post
Stain.. soild body? I'd use clear in that case. I normally only use clear for sealing plaster before a repair.
And, Why?

Thank you!
Humble Abode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #10
The Lurker
 
MAK-Deco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Outer Rim of Chicago
Posts: 3,514
Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanks: 99
Thanked 290 Times in 207 Posts
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I use clear shellac as I found it did not flash where BIN pigmented seem to flash with solid body stain. I use Cabot provt and have no flashing with clear shellac.
MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #11
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 315
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
View Humble Abode's Photo Album My Photos
Default

It is a solid body stain BTW I didn't realize I didn't post that info.

That's good to know about the flashing with solid stains.
Humble Abode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:10 PM   #12
The Lurker
 
MAK-Deco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Outer Rim of Chicago
Posts: 3,514
Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanks: 99
Thanked 290 Times in 207 Posts
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos
Default

if your doing two coats flashing usually is not a problem. A lot of my exteriors the last few yrs are re paints that I did 6-8 yrs ago. So color change there is not so one coat of provt and its good to go. (after cleaning of coarse)
MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #13
Member
 
Paintwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago,IL
Posts: 45
Rewards Points: 25
Thanks: 4
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
View Paintwerks's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I agree with MAK about the white pigmented shellac flashing. Havent tried the clear yet thanks for the tip. When you say clear shellac are you talking about the Bullseye Shellac for interior wood or something different.

Thanks Dan
Paintwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:02 PM   #14
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 315
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 0
Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
View Humble Abode's Photo Album My Photos
Default

I was talking about the Zinsser clear Shellac, the spec sheet says it works for sealing knots.

http://www.zinsser.com/PDF/TDB/BE_SHLLAC.pdf
Humble Abode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 09:07 PM   #15
The Lurker
 
MAK-Deco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Outer Rim of Chicago
Posts: 3,514
Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanks: 99
Thanked 290 Times in 207 Posts
View MAK-Deco's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Thats what I use, I am not sure if its for interior only but I have had good success with it outside. I was told that tip from a old paint contractor that used the mom and pop store I used to use where my old house was before I moved two years ago.
MAK-Deco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 01:22 AM   #16
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 217
Rewards Points: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
View Brushslingers's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Yes, the clear tends to seal and not flash on exterior stains better than pigmented, but on the other hand doesn't seem to seal stains under paints on interiors as good as pigmented... go figure.
Brushslingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 08:54 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: CT.
Posts: 481
Rewards Points: 250
Thanks: 18
Thanked 173 Times in 115 Posts
View Roadog's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Shellac has been used for hundreds of years for sealing knots. But in the old books it says to mix it. Most zinnser is 3 lb cut. If you want your clear to really seal, when the can has set for a while, take out a cup or two of fluid off the top, (alcohol) this gives you more concentrated shellac, less solvent. Not sure about BIN as I think there is less alcohol but more pigment than shellac.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Roadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 02:08 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 184
Rewards Points: 150
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
View Bushdude's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Abode View Post
I don't think it matters either way, but which do you prefer for sealing knots in exterior wood and why?

What situation would you use one or the other and why?

I am asking in relation to siding that is going to be coated with an acrylic stain. The previous painters (CollagePro, go figure ) didn't honor the knots and there is some discoloration that I will need to take care of, obviously, before I apply the topcoat.

Normally I would just use B-I-N. All I want is to use the best available product.
I would not recommend any type of shellac for exterior priming, as it does not hold up to moisture. I have been there and done that, trust me it is not good for exterior work.
Bushdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:27 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
View Pete_E's Photo Album My Photos
Default

HA, ( funny,looking at that the HA wasn't suposed to be a laugh... It was just short for your name)

You are a Humble guy because I know (from what I've read of yours) that you know that there one-in-the-same. The thing that many painters don't think of, is that shellac doesn't hold up for long in the elements at all. The reason I know they don'r realize this is because of all the houses I've seen that are spotted. That means that they are dealing with the knots as a separate step, rather then along with the finishing step. Shellac whether clear or pigmented will start to break down when exposed to the sun within hours. The reason you see the knots peeling within a year or so, isn't because the knot is a harder wood or it's leaching tannins, it's because the shellac has lost it's bond.
Get your self one of those plastic coffee containers with a lid. Punch two holes in the can at the top of each side. Run a piece of string through to form a loop. Cut a slit in the lid, and slip in a 2" throw-a-way bruch through the slit, this keeps the shellac from drying out. Bring it up the latter with you and hang it with a hook. Kill the knots first and start painting. The shellac sets up in minuets, so that by time you get to them their'll be dry to paint/stain over. I've never had a problem.

Pete


Quote:
Originally Posted by Humble Abode View Post
I don't think it matters either way, but which do you prefer for sealing knots in exterior wood and why?

What situation would you use one or the other and why?

I am asking in relation to siding that is going to be coated with an acrylic stain. The previous painters (CollagePro, go figure ) didn't honor the knots and there is some discoloration that I will need to take care of, obviously, before I apply the topcoat.

Normally I would just use B-I-N. All I want is to use the best available product.
Pete_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 11:33 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6
Rewards Points: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
View Pete_E's Photo Album My Photos
Default

Don't mind the spelling. It's late and I typed it fast. Kidn-a hard to believe that I've been painting for 30 years and I spelled ladder with two t's. What can I say !!

re-Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_E View Post
HA, ( funny,looking at that the HA wasn't suposed to be a laugh... It was just short for your name)

You are a Humble guy because I know (from what I've read of yours) that you know that there one-in-the-same. The thing that many painters don't think of, is that shellac doesn't hold up for long in the elements at all. The reason I know they don'r realize this is because of all the houses I've seen that are spotted. That means that they are dealing with the knots as a separate step, rather then along with the finishing step. Shellac whether clear or pigmented will start to break down when exposed to the sun within hours. The reason you see the knots peeling within a year or so, isn't because the knot is a harder wood or it's leaching tannins, it's because the shellac has lost it's bond.
Get your self one of those plastic coffee containers with a lid. Punch two holes in the can at the top of each side. Run a piece of string through to form a loop. Cut a slit in the lid, and slip in a 2" throw-a-way bruch through the slit, this keeps the shellac from drying out. Bring it up the latter with you and hang it with a hook. Kill the knots first and start painting. The shellac sets up in minuets, so that by time you get to them their'll be dry to paint/stain over. I've never had a problem.

Pete
Pete_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making Your Own Shellac slickshift General Painting Discussion 5 06-07-2007 06:21 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Our Pro Sites Network
ContractorTalk.com | DrywallTalk.com | ElectricianTalk.com | HVACSite.com | PlumbingZone.com | RoofingTalk.com