Should Food Be Removed From Ceilings Before Painting? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 11-29-2009, 06:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View LatexKing's Photo Album My Photos
Red face Should Food Be Removed From Ceilings Before Painting?

My boss says it takes to long to remove the food from the ceilings, that it's not a "Newport Mansion" and that I'm wasting his money with my ridiculously out-of control attention to detail.
What do the professionals think?
LatexKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
I'm Colour Blind

Rewards Points: 1,008
View mistcoat's Photo Album My Photos

Are you painting a restaurant or a home?
Either way, of course remove it. Does your boss want to be called back to rectify?
Then pay you more money to put it right. Is he some sort of madman

Sounds like you need a better boss.

Send your boss HERE and let Staci slap him upside the head, and say Tim from the Kent in the UK sent him there

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mistcoat; 11-29-2009 at 06:21 PM..
mistcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 07:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150
View bigjeffie61520's Photo Album My Photos

uh, unless you want to be king hack, it is good to remove these kinds of things from the surface.

I have a mouse sander, and buzz it off w/ some 120. sounds like you might want to keep an eye out for a more conscientious contractor to work for.
until then, do what you must to get paid
bigjeffie61520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2009, 07:15 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

Yes it matters, when ever you paint over something that is poorly prepped you can have adhesion issues, which can result in the slander of your name and repeat work. Not to mention the look of a hack job.

There are times when the job is not speced for extra labor and you have to compromise but even then most pros will still give it some basic attention since it after all is their name on the line.

Last edited by Workaholic; 11-29-2009 at 08:11 PM.. Reason: missing words
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 266
View tntpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Sounds like yur hack boss isn't gonna be around much longer with an attitude like that good luck on your future
tntpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

It's possible your boss bids jobs as a splash and dash style of contracting. I for one think there is a whole contingency of folks {household incomes of 45k and less} that you could frame your business for with a quick 'n dirty type paint job.

Everyone talks about I am quality this, or I am quality that - but quality is a nonsense idea. I knew a guy that painted the inside of a 4,500 SF McMansion - it took 6 months and it was $200,000. That's a 'quality' finish. I dare say most guys have never done that level of work. So what is quality? Who knows - I guess what is perceived as quality for the 'milieu' you work for.

I do know I use to do apartment repaints, which wasn't anywhere the level of 'quality' that I do now, and were priced much much cheaper - but I made great money - and all parties were happy at the outcome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 01:16 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

I don't imagine this looking too good painted over.
Attached Images

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to y.painting For This Useful Post:
804 Paint (02-22-2014), Brian C (02-20-2014), flowjo (12-15-2009), Metro M & L (11-30-2009), nEighter (12-01-2009), Rcon (12-04-2009), Schmidt & Co. (12-04-2009), WisePainter (11-30-2009), Wolfgang (12-01-2009)
Old 11-30-2009, 07:34 AM   #8

well now that I am aware I have no conception of what the term "quality" means....

Quality is a state of mind. The discerning eye detects it's presence. It is apparent in the product as well as in the demeanor. Thoroughness is as much for my satisfaction as it is for the customer's.

Pragmatism is it's counterpart. My best day is an even balance b/t each.
I try to error in favor of quality, because it sharpens my focus. The more deeply I give myself to the work, the faster the day goes, and the more I accomplish properly
Old 11-30-2009, 07:57 AM   #9

Thanked 1,028 Times in 672 Posts
View plainpainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjeffie61520 View Post
well now that I am aware I have no conception of what the term "quality" means....

Quality is a state of mind. The discerning eye detects it's presence. It is apparent in the product as well as in the demeanor. Thoroughness is as much for my satisfaction as it is for the customer's.

Pragmatism is it's counterpart. My best day is an even balance b/t each.
I try to error in favor of quality, because it sharpens my focus. The more deeply I give myself to the work, the faster the day goes, and the more I accomplish properly
You see you don't get it, yet. People talk about quality like it's this singular point like concept, it's either quality or it isn't - black or white, etc. The thing is, if you go and do 'quality' whole house interior repaints for McMansions for say like 15 g's - and then I come back and tell you, my buddy did an interior repaint for the same model home on the same road for 150 g's - what would you say? Is your job still 'quality' - I've seen guys get this much money, you can't believe what they do for that money.

The thing is there is a whole range of this 'quality' concept, I could say a Honda is a quality car for blah blah blah reasons. But does it's quality match the quality of a Bentley? Of course not. Quality has to be seen as a variable much more than a constant. If we're both in the same playing field doing apartment repaints and you average $900 for 1-bedroom apartment, and I am doing slighty better work and averaging $1,200 - I am doing a higher quality job than you are. But is it the same type of quality needed to compete in the 'burbs' with all these McMansion homeowners? Probably not.

To say you do 'quality' work and then point fingers at guys working in a certain 'milieu' like apartment repaints for landlords, and say they don't do 'quality'. Well their quality is perhaps not the quality needed to work on the homes you do - but it's what is considered normal for the work at their end of the payscale.

Heck - when I did apartment repaints, my price was like half of my jobs now, but the way we went through those places - I ended up making better money with less fussing than I do now working in the suburbs. I often think back how nice that was.

Where the professionals go to make sure Harry homeowner isn't getting too many quotes!
plainpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:41 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,300
Thanked 9,558 Times in 5,424 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatexKing View Post
My boss says it takes to long to remove the food from the ceilings, that it's not a "Newport Mansion" and that I'm wasting his money with my ridiculously out-of control attention to detail.
What do the professionals think?
If your boss says paint over it, then paint over it. This is one of the reasons why people change jobs or start their own business.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 08:44 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,300
Thanked 9,558 Times in 5,424 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

You could try to change his mind set, but that will likely not happen. It doesn't sound like you've made a good fit with your employer.
CApainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:31 AM   #12

Rewards Points: 1,000
Thanked 1,136 Times in 611 Posts
View y.painting's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
In marketing jargon:

Quality = The customerís perception of the degree at which the product/service can consistently meet or exceed customersí expectations.

-From a marketing textbook.

It's all about perceptions from the customer's point of view. You can have an "inferior" product when a pro looks at it, but if the customer's expectations are exceeded, you've got yourself a quality product.
The Following User Says Thank You to y.painting For This Useful Post:
KLaw (12-01-2009)
Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.painting View Post
I don't imagine this looking too good painted over.

POW!!!!

Oh [email protected] I laughed my buttocks off!!!!

I left everything on the walls and ceilings when I did a grubby apartment respray job...

boogers, food, body fluids, etc.

apartments.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:14 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 266
View tntpainting's Photo Album My Photos

Leave the bodyfluids to the qualified biohazard companies lol
tntpainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:24 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 428
Thanked 1,956 Times in 1,184 Posts
View WisePainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tntpainting View Post
Leave the bodyfluids to the qualified biohazard companies lol
ugh, "suicide units"...oh sure they spray everything down, but the dark brown color of blood spraying from arteries remains all over the walls.

Also try not to think about your 50 ft. of hose dragging over the "stained" carpet...

No, they did not pull the carpet, they merely spray it down in apartments and remove it after the painting is finished.
WisePainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 06:54 PM   #16

Rewards Points: 75
View woodtradesman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by WisePainter View Post
ugh, "suicide units"...oh sure they spray everything down, but the dark brown color of blood spraying from arteries remains all over the walls.

Also try not to think about your 50 ft. of hose dragging over the "stained" carpet...

No, they did not pull the carpet, they merely spray it down in apartments and remove it after the painting is finished.
AK!

I hope you got paid triple for that.
woodtradesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 09:54 PM   #17
PinheadsUnite

Rewards Points: 1,696
Thanked 17,336 Times in 10,141 Posts
View daArch's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
If your boss says paint over it, then paint over it. This is one of the reasons why people change jobs or start their own business.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CApainter View Post
You could try to change his mind set, but that will likely not happen. It doesn't sound like you've made a good fit with your employer.
waht CA said.

This is the second time you've raised issues about what the boss tells you to do.

As wrong as we all know he is, it IS his business and HIS reputation. When you're the boss, you will understand.

"Are we having fun yet"
daArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #18

i guess I don't get it, but my perspective is working for me.

if i don't feel that I strive for and achieve quality, then my work isnt worth much to me personally
Old 12-01-2009, 05:03 AM   #19
very senior member

Rewards Points: 56
Thanked 5,521 Times in 3,389 Posts
View chrisn's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
i guess I don't get it, but my perspective is working for me.

if i don't feel that I strive for and achieve quality, then my work isnt worth much to me personally

Do yourself a favor and find a different( better) employer
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
Slopmeyer (02-20-2014), Wolfgang (12-01-2009)
Old 12-01-2009, 03:32 PM   #20

View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

hate to admit but when painting apartments we painted over all kinds of muck, used kilz over it.. (something I would never ever ever in a million years do elsewhere). I say do what your boss wants, after all it is his future headache.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None