solid core/MDF door prep - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 05-11-2015, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 52
View toomuch's Photo Album My Photos
Default solid core/MDF door prep

It's been awhile since I have had to deal with solid core doors that are pre-primed. These are higher end doors and according to the spec sheet that accompanied the doors " products are primed with a low VOC primer"

Typically when dealing with MDF trim it's a no brainier that it gets hit with another coat of primer. The primer on these doors seems of better quality, isn't chalky or rubbing off easily like most MDF. I believe Lynden doors was the manufacture.

Planning on shooting with 310 or 413 tip using SW Pro Classic WB 2 coats.

If we prime, it will be 123 plus.

Ever a case when you don't need to prime?
toomuch is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2015, 12:24 AM   #2
Troy

Rewards Points: 26
Thanked 2,564 Times in 1,129 Posts
View stelzerpaintinginc.'s Photo Album My Photos

I don't prime pre-primed doors. Usually the edges are raw, so they'll get hit quickly with sanding sponge before 1st coat & between 1st & 2nd coat.
Old 05-12-2015, 09:55 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 92
View Joseph's Photo Album My Photos

I might prime a door if it looks cheap but for the most part I don't prime pre-primed doors either.

https://www.calgarypropainting.com/blog/index.php
Joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 170
View bluegrassdan's Photo Album My Photos

I don't prime mdf trim or doors. Why prime trim? I usually just do 2 coats of BM Aura
bluegrassdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 03:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 52
View toomuch's Photo Album My Photos

Doors turned out fine.

But in retrospect, would it have been advisable to hit these these doors with a light coat of Coverstain from a spraycan. In essence to give it get a "light" bond coat? (No sanding just a very light coat)
toomuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 73
View Mike2coat's Photo Album My Photos

Depends on the job. If it's a high end job I prime. If it's a rental or the customer is on the cheap side I don't prime.
Mike2coat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 04:29 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,042
Thanked 3,181 Times in 1,677 Posts
View Oden's Photo Album My Photos

I don't get that guys prime pre primed. It's crazy. When something gets given to you in this world. You accept it.
Oden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
Wildbill7145 (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,342
Thanked 4,534 Times in 2,506 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oden View Post
I don't get that guys prime pre primed. It's crazy. When something gets given to you in this world. You accept it.
I've never reprimed either. It doesn't really make sense to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 05:08 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 286
Thanked 1,024 Times in 634 Posts
View I paint paint's Photo Album My Photos

I agree with Oden and Wildbill, but I have used their logic to justify the opposite in the past:

If the world gives you a client who is willing to pay you to re-prime a pre-primed door, you accept it.

It's crazy not to.
I paint paint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I paint paint For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2015, 05:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by I paint paint View Post
I agree with Oden and Wildbill, but I have used their logic to justify the opposite in the past:

If the world gives you a client who is willing to pay you to re-prime a pre-primed door, you accept it.

It's crazy not to.
Absolutely, if you're doing T&M for sure. If they were to ask me if it was necessary, I'd immediately say no.

If you're doing T&M for a GC, I'd give someone exactly one dollar (Canadian. You get a loonie.) if they can find me a GC who would ask for the doors to be reprimed.

I did have a GC ask me to 3 coat a whole house full of mdf skinned doors recently. Mostly because they looked like crap after the second coat because the paint he made me use was garbage.

............and the fact that the house he was building was for his mother who's nickname was "dragon lady" and he knew she'd never accept the two coated doors that looked like crap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 05:44 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
............and the fact that the house he was building was for his mother who's nickname was "dragon lady" and he knew she'd never accept the two coated doors that looked like crap.
Between this guy's mom and all those interior cottage decs, you've had quite the string of shrillness lately.

Hope your luck turns come Canada Day. Wishing you a drama and dragon queen free rest of the summer!
Old 06-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #12

Well. If it is NC and bid off of prints. A door is going to be bid for three coats. A prime and two finish. Right?
I'd it comes in pre primed-.one down. If it comes in preprimed and the finish happens to be a white, something that covers- bam one coat for three. Beautiful. The job makes money and there is room for the inevitable damage repaint. Get paid for the damage repaint-bam and beautiful. You bid three, you put on one and got paid again for the second. Don't get paid for the inevitable damage repaint? Eeeh it was worth a try and u are still a coat ahead....cry poor and carry on. Is how it works.

I don't think the guys that dabble in the NC really get that. They think in black and white. And in this game everything is grey,
And they get murdered playing it cause they think black and white.
Old 06-21-2015, 06:27 PM   #13

Quote:
I don't think the guys that dabble in the NC really get that. They think in black and white. And in this game everything is grey,
And they get murdered playing it cause they think black and white.

I think a lot of folks in this game think and act as you describe, but are careful not to advertise as such publicly.

Your post may set off a string of responses about business ethics, most of which will be genuine, a few blatant posturing.

Last edited by I paint paint; 06-21-2015 at 06:32 PM..
Old 06-21-2015, 08:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by I paint paint
I think a lot of folks in this game think and act as you describe, but are careful not to advertise as such publicly. Your post may set off a string of responses about business ethics, most of which will be genuine, a few blatant posturing.
Yeh. Is it like pro wrestling? Or are they sincere. There are some of both I'm sure. On here. It's hard to tell though. Without being there, seeing em, knowing em.....then I can tell
And the sincere think it's real. Pro wrestling. Lol
The Following User Says Thank You to Oden For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (06-21-2015)
Old 06-21-2015, 10:30 PM   #15

Quote:
Yeh. Is it like pro wrestling? Or are they sincere. There are some of both I'm sure. On here. It's hard to tell though. Without being there, seeing em, knowing em.....then I can tell
And the sincere think it's real. Pro wrestling. Lol
I was doing a couple interior rooms for repeat client who was in a last minute rush getting his home ready for son's wedding reception. HO had a separate crew onsite repainting what turned out to be almost everything outside. HO kept adding to the exterior scope of work throughout the week. Exterior Boss loved it, happy to get the extra work while onsite, and just gave a number for garage, shudders, porch, as each was asked for.

At the end of the week, in front of me, Boss handed HO bill and HO with checkbook in hand asked, "Everything get two coats?" Boss paused, figuring out which of the two ways he was going to go with his answer.

Was he going to stop and explain, "No, you never specifically asked for two coats, there wasn't anywhere close to being time for two coats, I didn't in any way represent or spec the job for two coats, nor did I charge you for two coats."

Nope.

Instead, Boss answered, "Yup. Everything has two coats paint on it. And the spots we took down to bare got a primer coat first."

So what were these two coats Boss was talking about? Well, 1 coat existing paint, 1 new coat they applied that week. Except in a few spots that had peeled to raw wood. They got one coat CS and one coat paint.

And we all just clap and cheer, and believe in our hearts Rowdy Rowdy Piper earned that three count on Iron Sheik...
kdpaint (06-21-2015)
Old 06-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by I paint paint View Post
Between this guy's mom and all those interior cottage decs, you've had quite the string of shrillness lately.

Hope your luck turns come Canada Day. Wishing you a drama and dragon queen free rest of the summer!
No doubt. Thus far 2015 has easily been my most challenging year in terms of dealing with customers. There have been a few normal people, but not many.

Given what I've got lined up, I don't think this is going to change for the rest of the summer. Why do these people find me or I find them?

The Following User Says Thank You to Wildbill7145 For This Useful Post:
I paint paint (06-22-2015)

Tags
None