Professional Painting Contractors Forum banner

Spraying Satin Impervo

30K views 45 replies 19 participants last post by  RH 
#1 ·
I have a nice gig coming up that I scheduled for November. It will take a crew of four about a month to finish the whole job.

Anyway, part of the job is the woodwork consisting of crown, base, windows, and door frames(no doors), and a few mantles/fireplaces and built in bookcases and shelving.

#6 ·
Test it straight before you cut the product first. If you find it is not spraqying properly or getting clogged too much just add in the smallest amounts and test from there. also, remember to not jump tyhe gun on thinning if your usinmg a new tip because new tips have to be broken in before they will work properly.

#8 ·
vermontpainter said:
OC

It sprays beautifully. We just did a bunch with hvlp a couple weeks ago. On vertical surfaces, try to keep the thinning to a minimum. Stuff hangs for a while before kicking off and can betray you at the last minute.
The only sprayer I have is a Titan 440, what would be your suggestion with using it, and how much thinner would you use per gallon?

#11 ·
It will be Impervo over Impervo. Usually I use a 50/50 mix of BM enamel underbody and Impervo as my first coat, then one coat of straight out of the can Impervo, with a sand before and on between coats. It comes out looking top notch with that process, but it's time consuming.

The house I'll be doing is empty and very large and I want to spray, but I'm just not used to spraying Impervo.

#14 ·
Sprayed Impervo for 10 years at almost 6 days a week. Only thing we did was add a bit of spirits at the bottom of each can just to get the settled oil from the bottom of each can to mix back in the Impervo. Just that in itself was enough to do the trick. If you leave that sludge in the bottom of the can you are leaving what makes Impervo...Impervo.

#40 ·
Great advice

4th Gen I'm not sure if you're following up with my situation or the original poster but I followed your advice above and that's the money shot. Impervo laid out beautifully. I found the Penetrol made my mix too loose & it would kick off on me. For anyone interested I'm spraying with a Graco 310 FFT. Great tip and a great tipi from 4th Gen. :thumbup:

#18 ·
4ThGeneration said:
Sprayed Impervo for 10 years at almost 6 days a week. Only thing we did was add a bit of spirits at the bottom of each can just to get the settled oil from the bottom of each can to mix back in the Impervo. Just that in itself was enough to do the trick. If you leave that sludge in the bottom of the can you are leaving what makes Impervo...Impervo.
Thanks, that is the kind of tip I was looking for. Very helpful. I'll do just that.

#19 ·
Gotdibz said:
HOw about using some fast evaporating thinner (VM&P Naphtha)
To get the paint to tack up sooner, and it will thin it just a bit. Impervo takes time to dry which allows for dust particles to settle.
Naphtha seriously dulls the sheen. I worked with a guy years ago who used it all the time. Once on a job, I worked the third floor, while he worked the second. The customer noticed the difference because I didn't use naphtha. She had a pretty good eye and pointed out that his trim was duller.

#21 ·
Cbrosenterprises said:
Use penetrol, The new Z235 has alot more body than the old c235 formula,coverage is much better,thinner might be counter productive
That's what I'm thinking. And since I'm not used to spraying it, I don't want to take a chance at it running.

What would you think about not using anything at all to thin it?

#27 ·
Neps, what is an AA rig?

All I have is a Titan 440, any suggestions with using it?
AA = air assist machine.

440 is fine. I'm not a big fan of FF tips. I think they tend to curl in at the end of the fan. I would shoot with a new 415 if it was me but I would stick to the spraying methods you are comfortable with. Dont change much with a new product. I also find that Impervo dries very nicely with heat. Turn the stats up to 85.

#30 ·
Windy Painters said:
The oil-based Satin Impervo is unavailable in Illinois. Waterborne is a big challenge - extremely easy to run down. You have to use finish tip. I use 410RacX. I would suggest Advanced -acrylic - oil.
I'm not going to use the Advance or The SW version until I absolutely have to. Because of the potential problems. If I'm not using oil Impervo,I'm using SW Cashmere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.