Staining indonesian red balu batu... Anyone experienced? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View JonM's Photo Album My Photos
Default Staining indonesian red balu batu... Anyone experienced?

I have a deck to do that is Indonesian red balu Batu. The wood is gorgeous. I am just doing a clear sealer on the wood but plan to seal it on all 6 sides after some research. To do this I'd like to make sure the moisture content is not too high but do not know what it should be for that exotic wood species up here in the Pacific Northwest. Anyone have experience with this wood?

Thanks in advance for the info.
JonM is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
I have a deck to do that is Indonesian red balu Batu. The wood is gorgeous. I am just doing a clear sealer on the wood but plan to seal it on all 6 sides after some research. To do this I'd like to make sure the moisture content is not too high but do not know what it should be for that exotic wood species up here in the Pacific Northwest. Anyone have experience with this wood?

Thanks in advance for the info.
I don't. Do you have pictures?

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

I just did a search on Google and your thread came up first.

|
|
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,326
View Ultimate's Photo Album My Photos

http://www.kayu.ca/Best_Hardwood_Decking.html

Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #5

I'd like to build something large like a deck or a room or a book case entirely in a wood named cocobolo. I've built a couple small pieces with it. When you cut it or sand on it, the smell, it's just awesome. If you have never seen it, it's worth it to buy a small piece from somewhere and see what I am talking about. Beautiful wood.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #6

Yeah apparently it may go under a couple of different names and is relatively new to our market. Here is what it looks like with the natural oil product the supplier recommended for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Staining indonesian red balu batu... Anyone experienced?-image-2296880243.jpg  

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonM For This Useful Post:
Bender (05-16-2013), Delta Painting (05-17-2013), Paradigmzz (06-07-2013), Ultimate (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
Yeah apparently it may go under a couple of different names and is relatively new to our market. Here is what it looks like with the natural oil product the supplier recommended for it.
Pretty stuff

Old 06-07-2013, 02:21 AM   #8

There it is with the clear stain applied. Not a bad looking wood if you ask me.
Attached Thumbnails
Staining indonesian red balu batu... Anyone experienced?-image-3068394669.jpg  

Staining indonesian red balu batu... Anyone experienced?-image-1612007759.jpg  

Staining indonesian red balu batu... Anyone experienced?-image-669024616.jpg  

The Following User Says Thank You to JonM For This Useful Post:
Paradigmzz (06-07-2013)

Tags
None