SW "wall and wood" vs ppg "fastdry latex undercoat" - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By cocomonkeynuts
  • 1 Post By sayn3ver
  • 2 Post By sayn3ver
  • 1 Post By sayn3ver

Old 10-23-2017, 06:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 598
View sayn3ver's Photo Album My Photos
Default SW "wall and wood" vs ppg "fastdry latex undercoat"

Who has sprayed both? Which lays down better? Which sands better?

Both are around the $25 mark for me.

I brushed some wall and wood a long time ago. It sanded but was ropey for me when applied even quickly. Never sprayed it.

If not is it worth sticking with one of the acrylic alkyd primers? I know zinnser smart prime lays down pretty nice and has a bit of sheen to it. It's also around the $20-25 mark.

I know primecoat2 is been recommended around here and from that one behr painter.

Looking for a waterborne product for preprimed wood trim for airless spray (not mdf as recently discussed).

Really looking at the wall and wood vs seal grip fastdry latex undercoat comparison. I'd imagine they have to be similar.
sayn3ver is online now   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2017, 08:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

Your asking for someone who's used both to comment. Sorry to disappoint, but I haven't used both wall wood vs ppg. But I have used wall & wood and it's good stuff.

Blocks pretty well, tintable to virtually any color, resins in it allow for full sheen development of the top coat (unlike lesser primers), sands pretty decently for a latex based paint. Don't really have any complaints about it other than price, it's a bit up there for my region/pricing. If it was cheaper I'd use more of it.

Side note: I think it's an interior only primer, not designed for exterior. I think*. So that may affect your decision, not sure.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woodcoyote For This Useful Post:
RH (10-24-2017)
Old 10-23-2017, 09:50 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 5,012
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

What acrylic/alkyd primers are you referring to? I have been using the PPG latex undercoater, and I've found that it works great on stuff I have layed down like cabinet doors, but spraying trim up it doesnt work as good as I'd like. Doesnt sand as good as I'd like either. Actually, it sands great with 150 or coarser grit, but 220-320 it doesnt work too well. I try my damndest to NOT use SW, so I haven't and will not use their product, but Im curious about any alkyd/arylic primers for in the future, if I can get some for a decent price.

Where do you get this Smart Prime for $25 a gallon?? Also, how does it sand? It says nothing about sandability in the TDS.

Last edited by Woodco; 10-23-2017 at 10:01 PM..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2017, 12:58 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,160
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
...Where do you get this Smart Prime for $25 a gallon?...
probably a box store where they sell products basically at cost to undercut the local guys. my MSRP on that is $33.95.
PACman likes this.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 10-24-2017 at 01:03 AM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 08:53 AM   #5

Coco monkey is right. Lowe's carries smartprime Locally for like $23 gallon.

I've rolled then back brushed the smartprime before. It sanded ok from what I remember but it also had days to dry before I got back to sand it so I dont know it's early sandablity.

This is for installed trim btw not that it matters too much.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #6
RH

Rewards Points: 10,206
Thanked 15,353 Times in 8,040 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

Like woodcoyote, I’ve used the W&W and like it. Don’t think I’ve ever sprayed it so can’t speak to that but imagine it should be fine. It sands out great. It is recommended only for interiors.

Groucho Marx
RH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:50 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Cali asap enamel undercoater is the bees knees if you can get it. About $40 a gallon. A mere pittance to save a good amount of labor! Dries fast, sands like a dream. If you can't get it where you are, you should move.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:52 PM   #8

Pac I don't think California paint is sold in NJ. Why don't you franchise a store in the good ol dirty jerz and I'll frequent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACman View Post
Cali asap enamel undercoater is the bees knees if you can get it. About $40 a gallon. A mere pittance to save a good amount of labor! Dries fast, sands like a dream. If you can't get it where you are, you should move.
CApainter likes this.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:14 AM   #9

Quote:
It looks like some of the BM stores carry California paints. I'll see if they stock that stuff anywhere in Austin. $40 is pretty pricey for primer though.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:25 AM   #10

Quote:
It looks like some of the BM stores carry California paints. I'll see if they stock that stuff anywhere in Austin. $40 is pretty pricey for primer though.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:30 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,102
Thanked 4,704 Times in 3,172 Posts
View PACman's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayn3ver View Post
Pac I don't think California paint is sold in NJ. Why don't you franchise a store in the good ol dirty jerz and I'll frequent it.
Hop on up to Boston. Seriously, that's not as far as i drove to see my girl every weekend when i lived in California! Through LA traffic too! And do you have any ole Muralo dealers around? California has replaced the Muralo line so they may have picked up Cali since the first of the year.

"I'll have a double scotch with a twist of bourbon" Rodney Dangerfield
PACman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:41 AM   #12

I think there is one BM dealer that stocks some California or muralo but I'd have to call around again and find the one. I originally called some time ago to see if they carried ultraplate
Old 10-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #13

There's a dealer in transition about 30 minutes away from me. He doesn't stock it but has to order a minimum of a case of 4. Hate to order a case and not like it.

His response time was impressive (he had to speak with his rep and call back) and he said his rep is great and might be able to find me a gallon or quart to demo.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:43 AM   #14

Yo pac. A small hardware store carries California about 30 minutes from me. The rep threw two gallons on an order for me to try.

Whenever i get a chance to play with it I'll let you know.
Attached Thumbnails
SW "wall and wood" vs ppg "fastdry latex undercoat"-img_20171101_093126_804_1509543745206.jpg  

Old 11-01-2017, 12:55 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 1,160
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

I have never used any Cali paint. How does the Cali ASAP compare to the BM 046 primer?

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 11-01-2017 at 12:58 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:53 PM   #16

Couldn't resist.

Did a quick "early sanding" test with some brushed samples. After work.

Had the cali asap undercoat, several year old wall and wood, year old kilz max and several year old ppg quicky latex undercoat.

I dunno how any of the above spray but for brushing I would rate them as the following on bare wood (best to worst)

Quickest to sand :
Wall wood
Kilz max
Cali asap
Ppg

Smoothest application:
Kilz max
Cali asap
Ppg latex undercoat
Wall wood

Hide and fill:
Wall wood
Ppg latex undercoat
Kilz max/Cali asap

I'm sure if I give them all a day to dry they'd probably all sand great.

The ppg was definitely had some pill action early on. The wall and wood is sandable for me at an incrediblly early stages (like if it's dry to the touch you can sand it). The cali asap dust didn't load the paper at all but is more difficult to sand. It powders finely but is more effort to get all the brush marks out vs the others.

The kilz max surprised me. It went on and laid out the best. It leveled down real nice. It had a nice early sand (it sands different if that makes any sense. The initial sanding action is real easy then it gets a light glaze which still sands but not quite as effortessly).

If your prep work is good I feel the kilz max or Cali would spray out nice and may need little sanding.

If you need fill and hide I would go wall wood or ppg undercoat. The wall and wood, which went on the thickest for me, required the most sanding overall but left the nicest base of my test pieces.

Just some backyard quick and dirty impressions.
lilpaintchic and Woodco like this.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:52 AM   #17

The problem is, those 'several year old'; primers you have, may have been reformulated.

Also, what grits were you using? I just used a ton of PPG latex undercoater, and even over the weekend, 220 and 320 would gum up superfast, but 150 sanded great.

Last edited by Woodco; 11-02-2017 at 10:58 AM..
Old 11-02-2017, 10:40 PM   #18

Sorry like I said it was just some leftovers.

I used 150 only cause it's what I had. It was used 150 at that.

I agree reformulation could very well change my redneck testing. I haven't sprayed any of them yet.

One may very well spray and lay nice and need little sanding. I feel wall and wood will orange peel regardless and need attention.

Never claimed to be an authority. Just had a few minutes after work to play around.

Having the products side by side is different than trying to compare from memory.

I will say I don't think any of the above are bad. I will agree I think the ppg gums and pils the most.

My beef with kilz max is it's price and it's location being home Depot.

It's price locally for me is almost $35/gallon. Trying to get it tinted is a hassle if needed. And unlike other kilz products it doesn't come in 5gallon containers that I'm aware of.
Woodco likes this.

Tags
None