taping stripes advice - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 05-28-2015, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 48
View spektrum's Photo Album My Photos
Default taping stripes advice

Hey all,
I use tape only when absolutely necessary and I have two situations that merit its use currently. I have semi block walls adjacent to my steel frames, frames where sprayed. Once they cured I taped using delicate frogger and cut my walls, cutting by hand didn't look the greatest as there were high areas of mortar at many joints right at the frame. The problem I had is bridging of the tape. As I slowly peeled away towards the frame some areas of the semi wall color would peel away. I can touch them up no problem. My concern is the next spot I need to tape is a couple stripes, scenario is a little different with egg drywall substrate, semi stripes two colors on top of each in mid of wall. I've been told remove tape as soon as paint sets up, but I cannot as I have to at minimum two coats for coverage. The frames I'm guessing the semi block first coat doesn't have the best adhesion due to the higher level of gloss. Am I worrying too much for the stripes, I do not want to be touching up spots every ten feet, or have any of you experienced the same issues on an egg base color? One last thing, if I were to seal the edge with base color, then have my 2 semi coats has anyone noticed more bridging, it would make sense since there's more mil build up and more time to coalesce together.. again just thinking out loud and wondering about others experiences. Thanks.

PS using yellow frog tape as walls have only been freshly painted week prior, not wanting to risk and lifting of basecoat. Also this is about 400' of stripes each color so you can understand my concern to make sure of doing it right.
spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2015, 11:09 PM   #2
mug

Rewards Points: 10
View mug's Photo Album My Photos

Might take some time, but score the tape line and peel away.
mug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:12 PM   #3

That thought crossed my mind, just seems very time consuming and run the risk of loosing my nice straight line, could use a nice straight edge as I go, but again seems times consuming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Painting Contractor

Rewards Points: 7,038
Thanked 2,730 Times in 1,601 Posts
View Damon T's Photo Album My Photos

If base color has been on a week you should be fine with yellow or green frog. I would not pull tape after first coat. Do a test stripe with two coats and see how it goes. I've done stripes a few times and haven't had any trouble. I use a laser level sometimes too.
Are the walls smooth or textured? If textured you could backseal with base color or clear finish. If bigger texture you could caulk edges.
Damon T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:35 PM   #5

Walls are smooth. I will be using laser to lay out lines
Old 05-29-2015, 02:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 24
View racx's Photo Album My Photos

I would tape, caulk (950A) and smooth lay base coat pull tape. If your good with a brush cut and roll 2nd coat and 3rd if need. I will only use frog tape on drywall or wood trim. Block or steel I like blue exterior or regular masking tape.
racx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to racx For This Useful Post:
Anchors Aweigh Paint (06-08-2015)
Old 06-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #7

Update. My lines are the crispest I've ever seen. I wiped with wet rag to seal the yellow frog tape and really worked the line. No lifting of base or any bleed through at all. Highly recommend that technique worked out great for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spektrum For This Useful Post:
Anchors Aweigh Paint (06-08-2015), racx (06-08-2015)

Tags
None