Tongue and groove soffit/ceiling - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By finishesbykevyn

Old 09-14-2020, 06:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 88
View fromthenorthwest's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tongue and groove soffit/ceiling

There may already be a good thread on this one, but I've got some exterior tongue and groove that a homeowner would like re-done. I've got an idea of sorts but was curious what advice or tips some of you might have. My plan is to spray or roll on some sodium percarbonate to clean up some of the gray/discoloration then pressure wash real light. Then hit it with some wood brightener that contains oxalic acid to treat the water marks, and wash again. Then im guessing it will be pretty fuzzy from the chemicals and washing, so hit it with some 220 or so grit, maybe 120 if it needs it.

What do some of you folks think, sound like a good plan?

How do these ceilings get the water marks on them anyway? Condensation? I don't recall seeing too much water condensation on an exterior porch ceiling, but not sure how else it could get there. Ive seen these marks before and always wondered how they get there.

Anyways thanks in advance for any opinions!
Attached Thumbnails
Tongue and groove soffit/ceiling-20200914_102606_1600121569362.jpg  

Tongue and groove soffit/ceiling-20200914_102620_1600121594420.jpg  

fromthenorthwest is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 03:01 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,450
View ridesarize's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthenorthwest View Post
There may already be a good thread on this one, but I've got some exterior tongue and groove that a homeowner would like re-done. I've got an idea of sorts but was curious what advice or tips some of you might have. My plan is to spray or roll on some sodium percarbonate to clean up some of the gray/discoloration then pressure wash real light. Then hit it with some wood brightener that contains oxalic acid to treat the water marks, and wash again. Then im guessing it will be pretty fuzzy from the chemicals and washing, so hit it with some 220 or so grit, maybe 120 if it needs it.

What do some of you folks think, sound like a good plan?

How do these ceilings get the water marks on them anyway? Condensation? I don't recall seeing too much water condensation on an exterior porch ceiling, but not sure how else it could get there. Ive seen these marks before and always wondered how they get there.

Anyways thanks in advance for any opinions!
Your washing and brightening schedule may work out if there isn't any clear or translucent coating present. The 1st picture looks like decayed clear coat but I could be wrong.

Might need a liquid reduced stripper added and pressure washed, maybe not

Sanding would be pretty necessary either way.

Water definitely gets up of soffits from air moisture, and sometimes previous wash jobs or watering landscaping.

Last edited by ridesarize; 09-16-2020 at 03:04 AM..
ridesarize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 05:15 AM   #3
Kev D.

Rewards Points: 1,463
View finishesbykevyn's Photo Album My Photos

If your not also painting the walls, best be careful what your spraying up there as to not damage other surfaces. A light rinse and heavy sand would be my advice if going clear again..Couple coats of Spar Varnish? It may never look the same now that the finish has been compromised unless you go solid..
vwbowman likes this.
finishesbykevyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 132
View vwbowman's Photo Album My Photos

I would try using Benjamin Moore REMOVE, then BRIGHTEN and follow that up with a 180-220 grit sand. I certainly agree with Finishesbykevyn about protecting any surrounding areas. Can then be finished with as simple as BM Waterproofer (#320) or the higher end would be a ProLuxe (formerly Sikkens) film building product, Door & Window or Cetol 1.
vwbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 20
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

I would bet my life the backsides are not sealed on these boards.

Remove (citristrip maybe?), Brighten. Sand 150.

Seal with daly's shipnshore. 2-3 coats dalys teak oil. Very easy to use, maintain and will not peel and looks amazing. Very moisture resistant system.

Last edited by cocomonkeynuts; 09-16-2020 at 12:51 PM..
cocomonkeynuts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None