Tools for taping - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodco
  • 1 Post By PNW Painter
  • 1 Post By Jmayspaint
  • 2 Post By MikeCalifornia

Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
91B

Rewards Points: 12
View 91B's Photo Album My Photos
Default Tools for taping

Most of my painting experience comes from residential repaints. Because of this I don't generally tape off trim. I'm a paint goes where paint is person, within reason. If a line isn't cut clean I just try and get the new paint to cover the old so it doesn't show through.

This being said I am trying to move into new construction more as there is a ton of it around and I keep running into it. I want to tape this trim for a clean line of course and this got me wondering if any of these tools to help tape actually work? I'm a new member so I can't post links but I'm sure you've seen them around.
91B is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 09:34 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,190
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

So you roll walls and let the paint fall and splatter on the base?

What "tools" are you talking about? The only real "tool" is a masker, which ALL painters should have, regardless what they do. And all a masker does is attach the paper to the tape, so it really has nothing to do with taping a straight line.

In the rare occasion where I want to use tape to make a nice line, Im only using tape, not a masker. Even on base. I mask the base, just a little on the wall, paint the wall, pull the paper off the base, then cut in the base line nice, or in the rare occasions tape a line, but I make that a separate process from masking the base to roll the wall. Thats just me. Some people can paper the base perfectly and use that to make their base line. I havent had good luck with that myself...
MikeCalifornia likes this.

Last edited by Woodco; 04-15-2019 at 09:38 AM..
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Woodco For This Useful Post:
RH (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 10:44 AM   #3
91B

I don't tape windows and doors and I've been doing some pretty cheap rental turns. There is already paint everywhere. I'll hit the base with a wet rag quick, roll and wipe quick again. Faster than taping and the splatter comes right up. Even with paint everywhere I try to not make it worse by adding my splatter.

I've seen some tools that hold the tape and have a rolling wheel and a cutting blade. They always get good reviews on sites like home depot, but they all seem to be DIY type reviews.

Last edited by 91B; 04-15-2019 at 10:47 AM..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2019, 11:12 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 280
View cardgunner's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
So you roll walls and let the paint fall and splatter on the base?
So am I not looking hard enough because I never get splatter on my baseboard? I get the occasional drip which I wipe off. I have seen other painters splatter. Maybe I roll to slow? I generally roll up to(overlap) a 3" cut. I tend to only roll with 3/8 nap Microfiber 9" covers.
cardgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 179
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

If youíre spraying NC or large remodels learning how to mask efficiently will be a huge help with your production rates.

The 3M Handmasker works well and itís something you probably have already.

For masking baseboards and window trim the 3M Tape Applicator can save a lot of time. It takes a little practice to get used to it, but once you do itís a big time saver. Itís also great for masking seams when youíre installing floor protection.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000W...mob_b_pd_title

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mattpaints82 likes this.
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PNW Painter For This Useful Post:
91B (04-15-2019)
Old 04-15-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgunner View Post
So am I not looking hard enough because I never get splatter on my baseboard? I get the occasional drip which I wipe off. I have seen other painters splatter. Maybe I roll to slow? I generally roll up to(overlap) a 3" cut. I tend to only roll with 3/8 nap Microfiber 9" covers.
Well, I use 3/4" for texture. or 1/2" for smooth walls, and I haul ass, so theres always splatter on my paper, and I roll right to the paper, so I only have to cut in about a quarter, to half inch above the base.

Granted, I CAN roll slow if there is a spot I didnt mask and keep the splatter down, like in showers and stuff.

Last edited by Woodco; 04-15-2019 at 05:33 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91B View Post

I've seen some tools that hold the tape and have a rolling wheel and a cutting blade. They always get good reviews on sites like home depot, but they all seem to be DIY type reviews.
You mean a MASKER?? Seriously? I have to assume you're trolling us...
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2019, 07:11 PM   #8

Thanked 3,724 Times in 1,914 Posts
View Jmayspaint's Photo Album My Photos

Itís worth your time to learn to use a hand masker as pictured in Woodcoís post above. I was stubborn about it for years, and used to mask everything by hand and attach the paper or plastic manually. Finally a few years ago I made myself learn to use one, and itís a huge production boon. Well worth the time it takes to learn to use one in my opinion.

Theyíre not DIY devices by any means as it takes some skill to use one properly.

Wildbill7145 likes this.
Jmayspaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardgunner View Post
So am I not looking hard enough because I never get splatter on my baseboard? .

More than likely yes. Rollers splatter period. Doesnít matter what the nap is, or the material, thereís some degree of splatter almost always.

It could very well be micro splatter that youíll never see unless you get down on your knees and really look. The customer May never see it either so it may not even matter, but I can almost guarantee itís there.

Hereís an example of micro splatter that isnít visible unless you really look for it.

Old 04-15-2019, 07:24 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 872
View MikeCalifornia's Photo Album My Photos

There are three 3M versions, but get the most expensive one, the yellow one. The others are DIY and light duty use. I have tried the off brand ones and they seem way cheaper, but they are crap. Also, its more expensive but get the masking film blade too, it cuts plastic and paper, the paper blade only cuts paper. I have four in the van at all times, two for (I don't use paper, but the new 3m 12" film), one for 48" film, and one for 72" film. Invaluable tool.
SemiproJohn and Holland like this.
MikeCalifornia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:34 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 240
View Holland's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Most of my painting experience comes from residential repaints. Because of this I don't generally tape off trim. I'm a paint goes where paint is person, within reason. If a line isn't cut clean I just try and get the new paint to cover the old so it doesn't show through.

This being said I am trying to move into new construction more as there is a ton of it around and I keep running into it. I want to tape this trim for a clean line of course and this got me wondering if any of these tools to help tape actually work? I'm a new member so I can't post links but I'm sure you've seen them around.
Frog Tape - hand masking gives the best results, but you can sometimes use a tape machine for the carpeting and flooring. We tarp up to the tape.

https://www.amazon.com/ScotchBlue-TA.../dp/B00827IVWC

Last edited by Holland; 04-15-2019 at 11:37 PM..
Holland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
91B

If I'm not getting splatter its cause I'm going slow to avoid it. I'll tape baseboard sometimes too but I'm not taping to get a clean line, I'm taping to avoid splatter.

I'm more than familiar with the hand masker. I don't want to use a roll of paper every time I tape trim off though. I just want a faster way to apply the single line of tape on the base.
Old 04-16-2019, 08:14 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 437
View mattpaints82's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
If I'm not getting splatter its cause I'm going slow to avoid it. I'll tape baseboard sometimes too but I'm not taping to get a clean line, I'm taping to avoid splatter.

I'm more than familiar with the hand masker. I don't want to use a roll of paper every time I tape trim off though. I just want a faster way to apply the single line of tape on the base.
Those tape applicators mentioned earlier work really well. Especially if your not masking for cut lines. And even if you were, with a bit of practice, it drastically speeds up the process.
mattpaints82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 10:52 PM   #14

Quote:

Ok, thats a relief. Neither me, nor any painter I've ever worked with uses a tape holder though. I dont think a raw roll can be improved on. I use the tape holder for clear packaging tape, though, cuz its next to impossible to find the edge
Old 04-16-2019, 11:06 PM   #15

Just to clarify my previous comment...a roll of frog tape applied by hand will give almost perfect lines. A tape machine and tape roller can used to aid that line, but not replace it. Fast or Good, pick one.

Last edited by Holland; 04-16-2019 at 11:08 PM..
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #16

Default Tools for taping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holland View Post
Just to clarify my previous comment...a roll of frog tape applied by hand will give almost perfect lines. A tape machine and tape roller can used to aid that line, but not replace it. Fast or Good, pick one.

Your right in a sense, but I think itís more like pick which skill you want get better at. Masking with a roll of tape only as opposed to a machine may give you, and many others as well, a sharper line. But that doesnít make it an objective fact.

With some painter who has had a ton of practice with a machine, the opposite could be true.

The idea that doing things the slower way, and not embracing new time saving technology is always going to produce better results only holds true for people who donít want to learn to use the new tech effectively.

Admittedly, some of these new taping machines are junk, and DIY oriented. Many are not however, and in skilled hands can produce just a good of a line as using a roll of tape manually.

Old Today, 07:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmayspaint View Post
Your right in a sense, but I think it’s more like pick which skill you want get better at. Masking with a roll of tape only as opposed to a machine may give you, and many others as well, a sharper line. But that doesn’t make it an objective fact.

With some painter who has had a ton of practice with a machine, the opposite could be true.

The idea that doing things the slower way, and not embracing new time saving technology is always going to produce better results only holds true for people who don’t want to learn to use the new tech effectively.

Admittedly, some of these new taping machines are junk, and DIY oriented. Many are not however, and in skilled hands can produce just a good of a line as using a roll of tape manually.

I agree with you, and my methods reflect that. And of course, each situation is unique. Yes, there are guys that are way better with a Tape Machine than I am, but not sure it will ever replace hand-taping for fine finish work (not that all work is fine finish).

For fine work, where there are tight corners, or where there are slight gaps or intricate moulding, or need to have perfectly square corners (etc...), I have found that a tape machine does not produce excellent results - and in many cases is clunky, and not worth the effort.

I use a tape machine daily, and have just started incorporating a Tape Roller, as it tucks nicely along a carpeted edge (useful in certain situations) and is extremely fast. (example: one person used a tape roller to tape along the carpeting next to the baseboard in a 4 bedroom house in half a day -bedrooms, hallways, living room, kitchen, baths).

Last edited by Holland; Today at 08:09 AM..

Tags
None