Transitioning one room to the other? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 01-22-2008, 01:29 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View beemerpaint's Photo Album My Photos
Default Transitioning one room to the other?

Hey guys. I looking for all the feedback I can get. On this job I will be painting the kitchen one color and the living room another. The two colors will meet each other on a wall in plain sight from floor to ceiling. In past jobs the cheap way is to cut out the second color over the first. On nicer jobs I have installed a piece of molding to make the transition. What do you think works best? Thank you for your input.

Eric
beemerpaint is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250
View cole191919's Photo Album My Photos

I honestly think a nice solid, (and straight!) cut line is always the best. Lighter colour first, darker colour over. Although I haven't seen these molding pieces, a paint job is a paint job. Being able to blow away a customer with how sharp your cut lines are is what makes you a good painter. And I get personal satisfaction too when I do it nice.
cole191919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:51 PM   #3

Thanks Cole.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2008, 06:41 AM   #4
FT painter/FT dad

Rewards Points: 500
View Rich's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerpaint View Post
What do you think works best?
ever seen those "no fear" shirts?

how about "just do it"

that's my advice
practice makes perfect
Old 01-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150
View dincao's Photo Album My Photos

I honestly think that 2 wall colors meeting on same wall looks tacky... Installing a piece of transition molding will define the space better....But its a matter of choice, whatever the homeowner likes!!
dincao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dincao View Post
I honestly think that 2 wall colors meeting on same wall looks tacky... Installing a piece of transition molding will define the space better....But its a matter of choice, whatever the homeowner likes!!
Well I think this is now based on personal opinion. Sure you think one way, but like you said, when it really comes down to it, you are painting their home, not yours.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
FT painter/FT dad

Quote:
I honestly think that 2 wall colors meeting on same wall looks tacky
really?

tacky-1.not tasteful or fashionable; dowdy. 2.shabby in appearance; shoddy: a tacky, jerry-built housing development. 3.crass; cheaply vulgar; tasteless; crude. 4.gaudy; flashy; showy. (dictionary.com)

Please explain. Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 08:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cole191919 View Post
I honestly think a nice solid, (and straight!) cut line is always the best. Lighter colour first, darker colour over. Although I haven't seen these molding pieces, a paint job is a paint job. Being able to blow away a customer with how sharp your cut lines are is what makes you a good painter. And I get personal satisfaction too when I do it nice.

Oh by the way isnt your first sentence a matter of personal opinion??? Didnt the post ask for any feedback?? Wouldnt that be your opinion on how you would do something?? Well considering this is a fourm and i've seen it done both ways i think i can give my PERSONAL OPINION on what looks best!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM   #9

View Joewho's Photo Album My Photos

Really depends on what looks the best. Are you transitioning green to purple?

If the home has natural trim, I'd go with the moulding, custom moulding not some freakin door moulding. If the moulding is painted then I'd go with the painted transition.

I don't care about showing off my skill, I want the customer to be happy and I don't want to look foolish. Usually, there is SOMETHING to tie it in with if using paint. Like the end of a counter, and endwall directly across the room, moulding on the ceiling, carpet transition, something is usally available to bring it together. Otherwise, how do you know where to cut it off? Two contrasting colors in the middle of a wall? Not usually.
Joewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:28 PM   #10

What Dont You Understand ???? It Is Not In Good Taste And It Looks Shabby!!!
Old 01-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #11

thank you joe who
Old 01-23-2008, 08:32 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 2,000
View timhag's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
What Dont You Understand ???? It Is Not In Good Taste And It Looks Shabby!!!
Take i chill pill dude, relax, we like to keep things smooth without attitude my brother.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

timhag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:43 PM   #13

the attitude came from cole and i just answer his reply and so did rich with his explain what tacky means>> thats where the attitude came from not me, this should not be an attack on me, I just posted a reply..RELAX
Old 01-23-2008, 08:44 PM   #14
FT painter/FT dad

dincao

it's cool man, I guess I just think of the word tacky in a different way than you do....I tend to think gawdy and such

I definitely don't want you to hold back from voicing your own opinion....Lord knows we all have 'um!

..and I didn't post with an attitude, I honestly just wanted you to explain
Old 01-24-2008, 12:36 AM   #15

It's a party in here isn't it! Calm down dinco, you voice your opinion and I will voice mine. No need to overreact, after all we are all talking about a pretty unexciting topic if you ask me. No offense beemer.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:59 AM   #16

Rewards Points: 514
View GMack's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerpaint View Post
Hey guys. I looking for all the feedback I can get. On this job I will be painting the kitchen one color and the living room another. The two colors will meet each other on a wall in plain sight from floor to ceiling. In past jobs the cheap way is to cut out the second color over the first. On nicer jobs I have installed a piece of molding to make the transition. What do you think works best? Thank you for your input.

Eric
This is one situation that screams for blue tape! I don't know (aside from stripes or something defined with a molding) if I've ever switched color in the middle of a wall like that . . . Remember that you are the one who does this everyday. If the two colors don't make sense to you, voice this to your customer. If she disagrees that's fine. At least you've spoken your peace.

Mack
GMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:24 PM   #17

Wow, Im actually glad that this post could bring us all closer. Nice to meet you guys. Maybe at least next time I will try to come up with something a little more exciting and worth the commotion. Thanks for the laugh guys, and more importantly the input.

Tags
None