Vinyl Siding Spray vs Brush - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Lazerlnes
  • 1 Post By Wildbill7145

Old 11-16-2017, 07:52 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 536
View Sully's Photo Album My Photos
Default Vinyl Siding Spray vs Brush

I understand most of the do's and dont's of painting vinyl siding. Pressure wash, remove chalking, use a select color palette with proper LRV and play it extra safe with drastic color changes. Product selection is key.

The question is though what is the best application method. Brush it slowly moving the boards up to paint up under the laps? Or mask/shield and shoot it with my air assisted sprayer? Will the boards really expand and contract enough through the seasons on the east coast to show the old vinyl color at the over lap when sprayed? Is it a good call to only paint the vinyl in spring/fall of is summer an option?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sully is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2017, 08:24 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,384
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

I've heard of people sticking stir sticks or shims or something in the joints to paint inside in the overlaps a little. I would spray it. I know they make paints especially for vinyl siding.

Its better to paint it in the cooler part of the year just for the expansion reason, cuz it does expand, up to a half inch sometimes, so you gotta touch up inside the joints either before or after you paint.
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #3

View Lazerlnes's Photo Album My Photos

I first brush underneath the seams then spray it all
Delta Painting likes this.
Lazerlnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2017, 10:02 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,924
Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,405 Posts
View Dave Mac's Photo Album My Photos

yes those seems expand and contract need to be careful

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

powerwashingcharlottenc
Housewashingcharlottenc
Dave Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,266
Thanked 9,622 Times in 5,470 Posts
View CApainter's Photo Album My Photos

Wow. that seems like a pain. But if the siding has the possibility to reveal the original color when it is in a constricting condition, I would imagine it would make more sense to paint the siding in the cooler climate. This might even be a good idea given that PVC can get really hot.
CApainter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:27 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,062
View cocomonkeynuts's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
I would spray it. I know they make paints especially for vinyl siding.
https://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/...r-vinyl-siding

Never tried it or heard any feedback with vinyl. Every house here has cedar or hardeeboard
cocomonkeynuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 10:43 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 5,416
Thanked 4,547 Times in 2,514 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Be careful if you're gonna pressure wash vinyl. Don't drive water up through the seams. I worked for a guy once who was pressure washing his house while I was painting inside. He kind of overdid it and all of a sudden water starts dripping down from the ceiling in the room I was working in.
cocomonkeynuts likes this.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 5,384
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
Be careful if you're gonna pressure wash vinyl. Don't drive water up through the seams. I worked for a guy once who was pressure washing his house while I was painting inside. He kind of overdid it and all of a sudden water starts dripping down from the ceiling in the room I was working in.
Good to know, although I'd think there would be house wrap behind the vinyl...
Woodco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:18 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 5,416
Thanked 4,547 Times in 2,514 Posts
View Wildbill7145's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodco View Post
Good to know, although I'd think there would be house wrap behind the vinyl...
One would hope. One would also hope it was intact.

Wildbill7145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:28 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 536
View Sully's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildbill7145 View Post
This is good information for anyone who doesn't know pressurized water can get behind vinyl. Another thing a lot of people don't understand is that vinyl should be washed under low pressure. Also you should be letting the chemical do most of the work, not the water pressure.

I actually stopped pressure washing jobs myself. I found a company that does great work much more efficiently than I ever could. Makes sense to just add their fee into the job.

Sully is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None