What am I missing? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 07-07-2009, 08:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
View Wildbill1988's Photo Album My Photos
Default What am I missing?

Just picked up a new Graco XR9 sprayer, while spraying acrylic latex on hardy board, the spray is coming out with lines on the outside edges. Turned up the pressure all the way and still had tails. Could I have the pressure up to far, I did try it at the 50% level still had the tails. Had to quite for the day, house is all taped up and it starts to rain, just not my day. Hopefully the paper and tape will hold through the rain.

Thanks all
Wildbill1988 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 380
View Veith@toast.net's Photo Album My Photos

Most likely to big of tip.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Veith@toast.net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:04 PM   #3

Well the tip is a .15 which is recommended by the paint manufacture, and its new. And its still raining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500
View ParagonVA's Photo Album My Photos

what brand of paint?

I've had that happen when the product is too thick. I solved by thinning it slightly. Not saying that will work, but it's one option.

-j
Old 07-07-2009, 10:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,486
Thanked 6,705 Times in 4,460 Posts
View Workaholic's Photo Album My Photos

I would say that the material is to thick for the unit. How much did you spend for the xr-9? My guess is for a little more you could of bought a titan 440i and would not be having these problems right out of the box.
Workaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:41 AM   #6
Almost Gone

Rewards Points: 516
Thanked 6,377 Times in 3,759 Posts
View TJ Paint's Photo Album My Photos

dude too bad, cuz your masking might be toast, and I know how that feels. I'd say try some flotrol extender by flood. It really helps spraying exteriors. Might wanna test a small batch before going full on to make sure the color is good.
TJ Paint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 01:35 AM   #7

Figured it out, the pressure was to high and I was spraying to far away, moved to 12 inches and turned the pressure to 50% and its perfect, thanks for all the inputs, it stopped raining!!!!! With the little bit of wind that we were having it kept the rain off of the two sides of the house that I was prepping, so after checking the local dopple rain radar went out and painted both sides. Love the results.

Thanks All
Old 07-08-2009, 01:58 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,000
View nEighter's Photo Album My Photos

so you painted after it rained bill? watch it man. It is a fine line to disaster. Glad it all worked out for you though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

nEighter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None