What to do when strippers do not work? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 09-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #1
Paint to fish

Rewards Points: 132
Thanked 5,137 Times in 2,796 Posts
View DeanV's Photo Album My Photos
Default What to do when strippers do not work?

We have been redoing the fiberglass entry doors at a condo complex over the last 3 years. A previous painter did not prepare the faux wood doors properly when he refinished them. He primed or painted over the clear, glazed, and then clear coated again. No adhesion to the original clear.

Smart strip has been lifting the majority in 1 or 2 applications in most situations plus the clean up of the little stuff left behind. Sometimes the first application of stripper just goes down to the original clear coat and then the second takes off the original stuff pretty easily.

Well, this year one door had all of the outer perimter stiles remove as normal but all of the panels have 80% left after trying three different strippers including the gel heavy duty methylene chloride stuff. Left the nasty stuff on for even overnight with no affect.

Tried flooding it with lacquer thinner today and scrubbing it off. No real luck.

So, what do I have left to try?
DeanV is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2013, 09:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 150
View aroplate's Photo Album My Photos

When strippers wont work, i just pay them more money.....Insert drum roll
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Have you tried Acetone and scotch brite, that's my "when all else fails" approach. Also remove the door and lay it flat on a bench to allow the stripper to sit on the surfaces, don't wait too long or it will dry.
aroplate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
Paint to fish

I have them sitting in my shop on saw horses. The smart strip is a several hours to 24+ and it stays wet just fine. It actually starts lifting even sooner than 1 hour often, but I always let it go over night.

For the methylene chloride, I tried 10 minutes, instant scrubbing, and hour of sitting, over night sitting and rewetting in the morning with fresh stripper, etc.

Tried alcohol and lacquer thinner. I can try acetone next. I was also thinking MEK but thought it might be too harsh on the fiber glass or the plastic around the window.

New door is sounding better and better all the time.
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanV For This Useful Post:
aroplate (09-30-2013)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,048
Thanked 2,588 Times in 1,329 Posts
View benthepainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV
I have them sitting in my shop on saw horses. .
Gday Dean

I know PT is family friendly but isnt that abuse having the strippers sitting on saw horses for so long ? Get a pole setup in your shop : )
Attached Images

benthepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to benthepainter For This Useful Post:
CApainter (10-01-2013), Damon T (10-01-2013), Schmidt & Co. (10-01-2013), Toolnut (10-01-2013)
Old 10-01-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Paint to fish

I am surprised that Mudbone was not the first to reply to this thread.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:33 AM   #6
PaInTeR ExTrAoRdInAiRe

Rewards Points: 1,172
Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,569 Posts
View ReNt A PaInTeR's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
I am surprised that Mudbone was not the first to reply to this thread.
He was probably busy in a stripping club.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
ReNt A PaInTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:00 AM   #7
Paint Store Owner

Rewards Points: 2,000
Thanked 2,995 Times in 1,802 Posts
View NCPaint1's Photo Album My Photos

Dean, see if you can get "Star 10" stripper. Its made here in Michigan, out by you I think in the Grand Rapids area. Works very well, has a long dwell time, but if you could work a couple doors at a time it may speed things up.

NCPaint1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 08:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 183
View ptbopainter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanV View Post
I have them sitting in my shop on saw horses. The smart strip is a several hours to 24+ and it stays wet just fine. It actually starts lifting even sooner than 1 hour often, but I always let it go over night.

For the methylene chloride, I tried 10 minutes, instant scrubbing, and hour of sitting, over night sitting and rewetting in the morning with fresh stripper, etc.

Tried alcohol and lacquer thinner. I can try acetone next. I was also thinking MEK but thought it might be too harsh on the fiber glass or the plastic around the window.

New door is sounding better and better all the time.

Did you try covering the door in plastic over the smart strip? And then letting it sit for 24 hours? That stuff needs to be sealed in otherwise it stops working after the first layer
ptbopainter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None