what should i use? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Old 05-18-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25
View yacob's Photo Album My Photos
Default what should i use?

hi guys a new customer want to fix an exterior door(door was stained but is kind of peeling off) so he ask me to fix...what should i use? an stripper..or sandind down to bare wood or ideas please..thanks again guys
yacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
good ol boy's

Rewards Points: 152
View billy the kid's Photo Album My Photos

do they want it re staind,different color,is it just flaking,check out sikkens cetol door and trim, get it prep'd as any good paint job is in the prep,i dont know what all is going on u didnt explain much but sand it down nice,finish with some `150 so there is some scuff to it,two coats of this will get r done,only comes in 4 tones but it is one option,a little more info would get ya a little further

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
billy the kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
Shazaam!

Rewards Points: 604
View Different Strokes's Photo Album My Photos

Let's see a pic!
Different Strokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
RH

Rewards Points: 10,202
Thanked 15,352 Times in 8,039 Posts
View RH's Photo Album My Photos

I'd agree with the recommendation of the Sikkens Cetol Window and Door. I do a lot of realtor work where they want things painted and touched up for selling. Had a place where there was natural fir trim - no stain, just a clear top coat - which was really beat up. HO didn't want to pay for a complete refinish so I went through and touched up the scuffed and dinged areas and the Sikkens worked great. Tried about half a dozen other products but none worked as well. I wouldn't hesitate to use this in a complete refinish project.
RH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 04:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25
View HorizonPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Strip it down. A chemical stripper works great and doesn't take very long (maybe a few hours) Price out your supplies first...I just had to eat my labor costs on a door I just finished...Lesson learned. Check out the other posts on refinishing. There are a lot of guys on here with tons of knowledge.
HorizonPainting is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None