What will hold up on floor epoxy? - Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum
CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY, IT'S FREE!
Go Back   Paint Talk - Professional Painting Contractors Forum > Professional Painters > Surface Preparation and Application

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Woodco

Old 09-26-2017, 08:40 AM   #1

View Straightline831's Photo Album My Photos
Default What will hold up on floor epoxy?

I have an auto shop I'm working on and they want black stripes painted on the floor in between the lifts. The floors are SW armorseal floor epoxy. This is a pretty high traffic area so I'm wondering what would hold up the best. My BM rep suggested oil based dtm. Thought I would see what you guys thought? Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Straightline831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Warning: The topics covered on this site include activities in which there exists the potential for serious injury or death. PaintTalk.com DOES NOT guarantee the accuracy or completeness of any information contained on this site. Always use proper safety precaution and reference reliable outside sources before attempting any construction or remodeling task!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2017, 09:04 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 5,012
View Woodco's Photo Album My Photos

Why not use more epoxy?
PRC likes this.
Woodco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:00 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 450
View ThreeSistersPainting's Photo Album My Photos

Don't mix two different systems (Oil base over epoxy) If you know its SW armorseal, stick with that. Use a light degreaser and scrub sponge to clean the area followed by soap and water. Should be good to go after 24 hours
ThreeSistersPainting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-27-2017, 09:11 AM   #4

View Straightline831's Photo Album My Photos

Thanks. I'm just looking for opinions on different options. Was a little weird my rep wants me to use a dtm. So I wanted some more opinions.
Straightline831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,304
View woodcoyote's Photo Album My Photos

After 30 days, ArmorSeal has to be abraded before re-coat.

Which means you'll have to clean the area and then sand the area some. You don't have to remove the coating in those areas, just rough up the coating pretty decently to allow for better adhesion of another coat.

I'd do what others have suggested, stick with ArmorSeal. Why pick an inferior product to go ontop of a superior product? Kind of like putting interior paint on top of an exterior painted door, your swapping the top coat for a lesser performing product.
woodcoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 08:45 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 197
View PNW Painter's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightline831 View Post
Thanks. I'm just looking for opinions on different options. Was a little weird my rep wants me to use a dtm. So I wanted some more opinions.

Hopefully you've come to the realization that most reps don't have a clue about the coatings they're selling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PNW Painter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
Red Seal

Rewards Points: 56
View Sn0man's Photo Album My Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightline831 View Post
I have an auto shop I'm working on and they want black stripes painted on the floor in between the lifts. The floors are SW armorseal floor epoxy. This is a pretty high traffic area so I'm wondering what would hold up the best. My BM rep suggested oil based dtm. Thought I would see what you guys thought? Thanks in advance for any suggestions
Floor epoxy.

Clean it, sand it with an orbital sander using 40 grit, and lay down some fresh material. If you try to use anything else on it, it will fail - rapidly.
Sn0man is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None